Preview Roos Vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you judge that on the number of games he has played and the consistency in staying in the team? He is another one BS has thrown under the bus along with Ahern.

Durdin’s form in 4 years in the VFL would go along way to explaining his lack of game time.

I’m putting this one down to poor drafting more so than poor development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durdin and Ahern should really be playing too - I'd have personally dropped Thompson and Dumont to create the space.

McDonald and MacMillan to stay in and ensure we lose, can't look a gift horse etc in terms of pick 2.

I want to see MacMillan exposed by some no name again. Tory Dickson or someone of that ilk to kick 4-5.

The highlight of my weekend will be early start to ski season and the confirmation bias in regards to MacMillan (see above) and Dumont who will be absolutely killed by Hunter. But the cherry will be that midget Daniel outdefending and outplaying every member of our back 7.

Last edited:

Just gutless selections, which is a far cry from the North Melbourne I grew up with.

Considering our position why didn’t we go with:

Out: Turner, McDonald, Macmillan, Thompson, Garner (rested)

In: Hall, LDU, Ahern, Durdin, Scott

B: Atley, Tarrant, Pittard
HB: Hall, Durdin, Williams
C: Dumont, Cunnington, Polec
R: Goldstein, Ziebell, Anderson
HF: Thomas, Wood, Higgins
F: Larkey, Brown, Zurhaar
I: Scott, Simpkin, LDU, Ahern
Have lost all interest in this season
I watch every game or replay, but last week I didnt
Tired of watching the same middle aged and older plodders while young talent rots in the magoos

Durdin’s form in 4 years in the VFL would go along way to explaining his lack of game time.

I’m putting this one down to poor drafting more so than poor development.

He's predominately played VFL for a variety of reason, but mostly due to R. Tarrant and S. Thompson.

I actually get to the VFL games mate, and he's been good.

I think he lacks intensity, switches off and doesn’t do some of the basics well.

May come ‘good’, but serviceable at best and not consistently reliable.

You would have said the same about Larkey after his first few games at AFL level. He went completely "statless" in one of his first runs. I think lack of intensity and lack of confidence go hand in hand with young players. When they get the confidence they can play at the level the intensity kicks in.

Just before looking at the changes yesterday, i thought, surely there were at least 5 players worth dropping this week.

Nek minute, one change, Garner, a bloke that needs to get a few games under his belt moving forward.

This feels like a scripted TV drama, where the producers mess with you as opposed to real life sport.

The way this season has played out, i've never been less interested in the team since i started following, maybe season 2006 being the other.
What on earth are they doing, are we struggling financially again that we need to be competitive in games to avoid being sent to another state?
i dont get it.

Scott Thompson is almost in All-Australian form? And my comments are foolish?

Is Thompson more likely to help us win on Saturday? Yes. Whoop-a-dee-doo! Do we need to get games into younger players like Durdin so we can build a side that can possibly win a flag in the next decade? Yep. So pick Durdin. Not sure who's kept Roughy out of the Hawks team or forced Heath Grundy or Shaun Grigg into early retirement but they've got a better chance of being a premiership player than Scott Thompson or Sam Durdin at this rate.

Actually, yes, Thompson is in fine form. And you drop him despite claiming we'd more likely win with him playing than Durdin. That's not how I'd pick a team.

The only assumption is that Durdin's suspension wasn't appealed because with Thompson back he was going to get dropped anyway. What a **** message. You're expendable so we're not going to fight for you.

This week was the perfect week for Sam. He wasn't going to get monstered by a Hawkins or Franklin and winning or losing isn't be all and end all. Hed still have an important role though and nice chance to back a young bloke without playing for sheep stations. Also a good statement of support after a dodgy suspension.

But no. Young fella, you're just here to fill gaps when old blokes miss a game here or there. Otherwise we don't value you much yet.

I don't rate Sam myself super highly. But give the poor bastard a go. Seriously.
I would say we didn't appeal because under the current rules there was absolutely no chance of winning the appeal. The rule was changed since the Higgins incident, and accidental head clash is no longer defendable if you choose to bump.

So you are still backing the coach and his cronies for a job well done??????

I’m backing them to make smart decisions and in this case they have done that.

Maybe we should bring in Durdin and McKay and have a 4 tall backline against a team with one tall forward.

I would say we didn't appeal because under the current rules there was absolutely no chance of winning the appeal. The rule was changed since the Higgins incident, and accidental head clash is no longer defendable if you choose to bump.

Stop bringing facts up. The tin foil brigade don’t like it.

Actually, yes, Thompson is in fine form. And you drop him despite claiming we'd more likely win with him playing than Durdin. That's not how I'd pick a team.

I think we could play them both but that would mean dropping McMillan. Thompson doesn't really play as a "big" defender and has matched up on guys like Eddie Betts over the years. He has good foot skills and can hit a target with a penetrating kick out of the back line.

If it does come down to a direct choice between the two, then immediate wins are not really that important. Does it really matter if we finish 14th or 16th? The worst outcome would be losing both Durdin and McKay at the end of this year without knowing if either of them would have made quality AFL level players and being left with our two key defenders being 30 and 34. I would like to see us get solid games into at least one of those guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's predominately played VFL for a variety of reason, but mostly due to R. Tarrant and S. Thompson.

I actually get to the VFL games mate, and he's been good.

So do I. I reckon he’s been so-so. Lacks consistency at VFL level. Not game to game, contest to contest.
He was behind Tarrant Thompson and Daw last year and I suspect McKay moved ahead of him as well.
He’s been unlucky with timing of injuries. Sometimes it’s being in the right place at the right time that decides a career. He just never seems to have been.

Exactly why we didn’t appeal.

No one is happy with the way season is going, but let’s not put conspiracy theories ahead facts.

Never sure how these matchups stick during the actual game, but right now Caleb Daniel would be thankful he wears a helmet.

Very happy to see LDU back, but I was really hoping to see Baily Scott too, installed back on the wing, waiting to chase down and negate Johanissen every time he streams forward.

Thomas is listed on JJ. That's gonna be an interesting match up. I think TT is a bit faster than I'd been led to believe but I dunno if he's got the wheels to go with JJ.

As his father didn't play for the club that's why they didn't appeal.
Durdin will be delisted at seasons end unless we get a new coach and new coaching assistants and new recruiting team.

FFS

ALL of you lot whinging about not appealing the Durdin suspension need to read the rules.

After Higgo got smashed by Burton last year the rule was changed so that an accidental head clash is considered a foreseeable outcome of a bump and therefore there is no defense against it. Its a :poo: rule but there it is.

On what basis would we challenge - the "its a :poo: rule and I don't like it" one?

Last edited:
Would have been nice to see ALL our brothers wearing the indigenous jumper in the team for the Sir Doug Nicholls Rd, and that includes out of favour Ahern and a debut for Hayden, selection could have been manipulated to accommodate this without too much effort.

That'd be the first time 5 blackfellas have played for us in one game wouldn't it?

That'd be the first time 5 blackfellas have played for us in one game wouldn't it?
There was a shot in the paper when we did it once before - early 2000s? Was it Wells, Pickett, Motlop x 2, Dhurrkay?

Not sure about the term "blackfellas". Don't get me wrong, it's not about political correctness, but Anderson and Ahern are hardly black, although are of indigenous background, whereas Majak and Hall are, but aren't indigenous, so probably we should just say "5 Aboriginal players"

FFS

ALL of you lot whinging about not appealing the Durdin suspension need to read the rules.

After Higgo got smashed by Burton last year the rule was changed so that an accidental head clash is considered a foreseeable outcome of a bump and therefore there is no defense against it. Its a :poo: rule but there it is.

On what basis would we challenge - the "its a :poo: rule and I don't like it" one?
I thought it was just bad luck with the new rule and he probably was gone for the week. I also agree he has been hard done by because as soon as Thompson was available Durdin was no chance to be picked. Not in the mix. I love Taz and Thommo but we need to see Durdin and McKay play this season so some management of the older guys is called for. It’s not even just for next year and after - what we are putting out there isn’t good enough so it makes sense to do something different.

Would have been nice to see ALL our brothers wearing the indigenous jumper in the team for the Sir Doug Nicholls Rd, and that includes out of favour Ahern and a debut for Hayden, selection could have been manipulated to accommodate this without too much effort.

Muttley, you're not seriously suggesting this as a wacky basis for selection, right?!
7a954f10ce96061d5721fbd8174d1017.gif

After this weeks loss we have 12 weeks left. There should be a plan to at the very least rotate players like Ahern ,Durdin, McKay, Hayden etc through the team and the playing group need to be told that this is the club direction. That will mean more senior-eque players will be rotated out to give the next coaching panel a better idea of what the players can do.

I honestly don't think our coaching team know exactly what the list has.

I’m backing them to make smart decisions and in this case they have done that.

Maybe we should bring in Durdin and McKay and have a 4 tall backline against a team with one tall forward.
Do you reckon playing the team that produced that s**t show last week and below average performances over the rest of the season so far a smart decision?

Not sure about the term "blackfellas". Don't get me wrong, it's not about political correctness, but Anderson and Ahern are hardly black, although are of indigenous background, whereas Majak and Hall are, but aren't indigenous, so probably we should just say "5 Aboriginal players"

Its not actually about skin colour. Ask the bloke in your avatar what he thinks about the term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back