anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I feel sorry for Joe Root as he has no control over the inside workings of the English team.
The workings of the team are run by Anderson and Broad. They hold the reins.
A similar thing happened in the Kim Hughes era of Australian cricket. Hughes was named Captain, but with the likes of Lillee Marsh and Chappell, he had no control over the running of the team. He was at the whim of Greg Chappell as to when he would be captain of Australia.
I think the lack of respect for Root was shown by the fact that the English entourage was not present on the ground when Root was making his closing speech.
In fact, were they there when the game finished!!! Did they form the Conga line to shake hands!!!
Root is doomed as skipper. Expect a new skipper during their next test campaign.

I feel sorry for Joe Root as he has no control over the inside workings of the English team.
The workings of the team are run by Anderson and Broad. They hold the reins.
A similar thing happened in the Kim Hughes era of Australian cricket. Hughes was named Captain, but with the likes of Lillee Marsh and Chappell, he had no control over the running of the team. He was at the whim of Greg Chappell as to when he would be captain of Australia.
I think the lack of respect for Root was shown by the fact that the English entourage was not present on the ground when Root was making his closing speech.
In fact, were they there when the game finished!!! Did they form the Conga line to shake hands!!!
Root is doomed as skipper. Expect a new skipper during their next test campaign.

how do anderson & broad hold the reins ?
they both didn't play in brisbane and broad didn't play in melbourne ?

many captains have fallen on their sword on aussie soil and root will be no different if it does eventuate.

careers have also ended here, most recently being panesar, swann & prior.

I mean, the team walking off is a "bad look", a bit of generic sportsmanship and support for your captain, much like the losing grand final team, but it's then a massive leap to say he doesn't have the team, Anderson and Broad hold the reins etc.

I think they just plain suck. Is the issue that Hameed, Burns, Pope, Leach, Bairstow, Buttler and Crawley don't "play for" Root, or do they just suck? I think they just suck. Some youth there yes but changing captain isn't fixing Burns horrid technique, isn't increasing Hameeds scoring zones, isn't making Bairstow lash out wide of off-stump...time may help Hameed, Crawley but there are huge technical and just ability issues here.

many captains have fallen on their sword on aussie soil and root will be no different if it does eventuate.

Well according to KP

Anderson and Broad have always ran their own race. He call those 2 and graeme swann the bullies in the team.

Anyway its KP opinion and probable agenda from getting kicked out so who knows if its true or not.

They do as they please. It was not Roots decision to leave them out in the first test, that was the Manager .
As I said, Lillee Marsh did as they pleased. Anderson and Broad do the same.

There were some fairly pointed comments from Anderson about the batting.

In response to Root's comments about the bowler's lengths in Adelaide maybe?

Doesn't seem to be a happy family. I don't know Chris Silverwood at all but does he have a strong presence and influence I wonder?

England need to start planning NOW for their next Ashes engagement in Australia 4 years hence.

Their efforts on tour have amounted to one lamentable capitulation after another.

No doubt we've all seen the historical statistics comparing Australia's relative competitiveness in England as opposed to England's generally meek efforts Down Under.

If England want to do their part in keeping Test cricket alive then they could do worse than focusing significant effort and resource into redressing their horrible modern-era touring efforts in Australia.

They need to find the next Jardine/Larwood combination - and execute something drastic, something ''unsociable''.

England need to start planning NOW for their next Ashes engagement in Australia 4 years hence.

Their efforts on tour have amounted to one lamentable capitulation after another.

No doubt we've all seen the historical statistics comparing Australia's relative competitiveness in England as opposed to England's generally meek efforts Down Under.

If England want to do their part in keeping Test cricket alive then they could do worse than focusing significant effort and resource into redressing their horrible modern-era touring efforts in Australia.

They need to find the next Jardine/Larwood combination - and execute something drastic, something ''unsociable''.

their next test assignment is in the west indies , they'll be fine as the west indies are like england, they don't possess a batsman who averages 40+ (root aside).

their home summer consists of new zealand and south africa.

Anderson and Broad need to be put out to pasture. Far too negative. Robinson, Archer, Wood & Stone is a good core for the future.

their next test assignment is in the west indies , they'll be fine as the west indies are like england, they don't possess a batsman who averages 40+ (root aside).

West indies flogged them in the Caribbean back in 2019.

England haven't won a series there since 2004.

Lost in 2009
Drew in 2015
Lost in 2019

Didn't they rest and rotate their squad eariler this year specifically for the Ashes.

I think they come with a plan. It was just a failed plan.

There selections for the tests i think was more of a case off too much pre-planning and were paralyzed by it especially by leaving Broad and Anderson out of Brisbane. And not adjusting to the conditions in front of them.

It obivously was a plan set out months ago to not pick them there and save them for the pink ball. Otherwise why leave them out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anderson and Broad need to be put out to pasture. Far too negative. Robinson, Archer, Wood & Stone is a good core for the future.
Wood isn't that young and struggles to back up. We don't know how Archer will look once he comes back. It's unlikely he won't be as fast. Stone is another guy with injury issues.

Didn't they rest and rotate their squad eariler this year specifically for the Ashes.

There selections for the tests i think was more of a case off too much pre-planning and were paralyzed by it especially by leaving Broad and Anderson out of Brisbane. And not adjusting to the conditions in front of them.

It obivously was a plan set out months ago to not pick them there and save them for the pink ball. Otherwise why leave them out.
Sometimes you just don't have the cattle. Not that I think their plans were amazing or anything.

Archer since the 2019 ashes has been disappointing in 9 tests he has picked up 20 wickets @ 42.90.

And 7 of those tests were in england, South Africa and new zealand which are considered bowler friendly conditions.

I think the lust has come off pretty quick with Jofra.

He had an awesome series against us in 19 but never backed it up afterwards.

That's a fair rebuttal, but I think a lot of people were already querying Joe Root's capacity to lead a cricket team both tactically and from a man-management perspective.
I don't think he is the right person to galvanize the English cricket team to challenge the Australians on their home decks.

And if the plan has (already) proven a failure this time around, then England really (and obviously) need to give strong thought to what will work in 4 years time.
A plan to rotate your bowlers is more a management of playing resources than a genuine tactical approach to defeating your opponents imo.

I'm old enough to remember Gatting's 1987 team absolutely dismantling Australia, in Australia.
They did it easily, the Aussies barely raised a yelp.
There was no Harold Larwood to raise hell, just a very very experienced group of cricketers deployed to maximum effect.

Archer since the 2019 ashes has been disappointing in 9 tests he has picked up 20 wickets @ 42.90.

And 7 of those tests were in england, South Africa and new zealand which are considered bowler friendly conditions.

Has been injured

That's a fair rebuttal, but I think a lot of people were already querying Joe Root's capacity to lead a cricket team both tactically and from a man-management perspective.
I don't think he is the right person to galvanize the English cricket team to challenge the Australians on their home decks.

And if the plan has (already) proven a failure this time around, then England really (and obviously) need to give strong thought to what will work in 4 years time.
A plan to rotate your bowlers is more a management of playing resources than a genuine tactical approach to defeating your opponents imo.

I'm old enough to remember Gatting's 1987 team absolutely dismantling Australia, in Australia.
They did it easily, the Aussies barely raised a yelp.
There was no Harold Larwood to raise hell, just a very very experienced group of cricketers deployed to maximum effect.

Yeah i wasnt born to see the series in 1987.

I have only seen English teams on these shores from 2002 onwards and every series had been crap from a competitive point of view. I enjoy watching us flogging Englsnd.

But every series has basically been over by Adelaide. We haven't had a classic ala 2005 or even 2009 like series where it went to the final match.

The series England won in 2010 we were garbage but it was a perfect storm.

England were at their peak in the strauss era and we had a poor summer with injuries with Clarke and Ponting out of form while Hussey spent the series cleaning up the mess until it became a lost cause.

An Ashes tour is only one out of 10-15 overseas test tours England will have between now and then - why would they put so much effort into it? They'd be better off trying to get better in Asia, where there are four test-playing countries, rather than concentrate on this one series.

An Ashes tour is only one out of 10-15 overseas test tours England will have between now and then - why would they put so much effort into it? They'd be better off trying to get better in Asia, where there are four test-playing countries, rather than concentrate on this one series.

its about every 7 or 8 test tours they will do before they return.

but you are right, each test series is worth the same value in regards to the WTC.

it's just the prestige of tradition of the ashes etc i guess.

I didn't suggest they put all of their collective resources into the next tour of Australia - but when one half of one of the world's oldest sporting rivalries consistently fails to show up for the contest then plans need to be put into place to reverse the flow - I saw someone post an interview with Geoffrey Boycott after England lost down here last time around and Boycott predicted with typical grim matter-of-factness that England would go on with business as usual and forget about their latest drubbing - and then the same thing would happen next time 'round:

As an Australian fan I fully expect the well-paid and apparently qualified CA on-field performance team to learn from past mistakes in India and give a better account for themselves on the subcontinent next time around; at least show that we have learned something from past defeats and taken measures to cultivate the best possible XI.

NZ wasn't bowler friendly. England still managed to collapse to lose 1 match but that was after NZ got 600+. The other was a high scoring draw

Last time that happened a better English team than this one got skittled for * all in the first test and lost it, then watched Jason Holder and Shane Dowrich put on 300 for the 7th wicket as they were crushed in the series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back