Free Agency Rory Atkins [UFA to Gold Coast for end of 2nd round compensation pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I was happy with end of 2nd round compensation, but band 2/3? Damn

Leaves us potentially with 5 picks inside the top 25, if Brad leaves, with two of them being the top two picks. Happy days

carlton paid Mitch Mcnuggets $800k a year..

melbourne threw $800k a year at Jake Lever..

maybe us supporters undervalue these players?.

im certainly no football list management expert.. but Atkins to me looks to be a 300k a year max player... but maybe I’m completely wrong and theres some things Atkins does that the experts see as valuable that I dont even notice when watching a game of footy?...

and as for Gold Coast’s “supposedly tight salary cap”.... pffft, do you think the AFL cares about that?, the only thing they currently give a sh*t about when it comes to the Gold Coast Suns is that the club succeeds. that is all. any pesky little salary cap issues will be disappeared quick smart.
Clubs always pay players overs salary-wise in order to get them to the club. The two examples you gave are good examples, by all reports we did the same with Gibbs. It's why we gave Frampton a three-year deal, too

It's happened again here with Rat, and it'll happen with Brouch if he leaves too, netting us pick 2

And to think there was a particular potty mouthed port supporter on this thread telling me and others we had no idea what we were talking about when suggesting Atkins might garner decent coin and net a reasonable pick for the crows..so again, here is more media discussion and the figures being talked about are high and the contract length long and are likely to net the crows a 2nd round pick - so says the article

Band 3 compo to Adelaide for Atkins. Pick 21. Lol this board is going to be mad when Adelaide gets picks 2 and 22 added after Free Agency.
Then there's Hartigan getting plenty of interest.

Leaves the Crows with picks 1, 2, 12 (possibly lower GWS pick if they don't make finals), 21, 22 and 31 (Dogs pick)

Who says anyone is interested in hartigan?

I struggle to believe Gold Coast would pay $500k for Atkins. He's alright, but he's not worth anything remotely close to that amount. Gold Coast are supposed to have a fairly tight salary cap as it is, how could they possibly afford to overpay that much?
I would have thought losing Lynch, Martin, May, Ah Chee in the last few years would have freed up a fair bit of money.
Supposedly tight though..

If we've paid Atkins 2mil over 4 years.. * me

I would have thought losing Lynch, Martin, May, Ah Chee in the last few years would have freed up a fair bit of money.

If we've paid Atkins 2mil over 4 years.. **** me
Honestly who knows - supposedly a lot of money tied up in young guys who extend into their 3rd/4th years, then blokes like Sexton, Weller, Swallow, Day, etc. on good coin. There's a ton of conjecture around that, so it's anyone's guess what the state of the Sun's cap is.

I doubt the Suns are going to be signing contracts like that anymore since you appear to be on the rise and don't need to overpay your players so much to get them to stay, so Atkins at $500k just seems doubtful

Honestly who knows - supposedly a lot of money tied up in young guys who extend into their 3rd/4th years, then blokes like Sexton, Weller, Swallow, Day, etc. on good coin. There's a ton of conjecture around that, so it's anyone's guess what the state of the Sun's cap is.

I doubt the Suns are going to be signing contracts like that anymore since you appear to be on the rise and don't need to overpay your players so much to get them to stay, so Atkins at $500k just seems doubtful
It may be a cap floor thing as well

Also alot of money playing in their reserves like 2mp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also alot of money playing in their reserves like 2mp
There is money in Brodie / Wright contracts, I'll acknowledge that.
Craig Cameron had said during last years trade period that we would be looking at higher profile players for this trade in period so don't think the cap would be super tight.
Atkins wasn't exactly what I had in mind though.

Craig Cameron had said during last years trade period that we would be looking at higher profile players for this trade in period so don't think the cap would be super tight.
you were looking for Creme Brulee..but instead are getting Jallo - I understand your feeling of being underwhelmed

Helps that both Brodie and Wright could be out the door. I believe fiorini is on good coin aswell.
Sexton also on good money and may leave.

Helps that both Brodie and Wright could be out the door. I believe fiorini is on good coin aswell.
Sexton also on good money and may leave.
If Will Brodie doesn't get a call up in the next 2 games, he is certainly in cotton wool for the highest bidder

If we've paid Atkins 2mil over 4 years.. **** me

You forgot to add million dollar man ablett, who went at the end of 2017, to that list..

He will provide experienced outside run and carry. It’s something we need more of. Too many inside mids at the moment.

RORY ATKINS (ADEL)

Draft picks:
End-of-second-round / third-round compensation pick
Value on open market: $350,000-450,000

All but certain to be at Gold Coast next year on a four-year deal estimated at around $400,000. Free agency compensation will be a handy addition to Adelaide's rebuild for a player that was often overlooked this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back