Recommitted Rory Laird [RFA 2021]

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Has been horrible this year. My personal opinion I wouldn’t want him on my team as he has zero hurt factor and I see him as an accumulating sideways chipping 1 / 2 player and was overrated on the back of those all-Aus years where a good structured team defence covered him.
Having said that there’s people who feel differently and you might get someone to pay for him.

Yes, he has been horrible this year and last.

As for your second point, you sound like you are describing Matt Crouch more than Rory Laird. Or Tom Rockliff for that matter.

At his best though, I still feel he has some value. Think there may be some interest, but not sure what people would give up for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I don't know much about what value he is worth to crow's supporters but he'd be good for us I reckon as we need a defender or 2 to replace the ageing Jetta and Hibberd. A player we'd be able to offer in a trade would be Tom Sparrow who has shown some really good signs in the last few games and is a SA boy. Has some of the best potential out of the young players we have but unfortunately for him will likely be stuck behind Oliver/Viney/Petracca/Brayshaw/Harmes for inside mid opportunity for the next 5-10 years. Plays a lot like Viney in his tenacity and toughness around the ball. Would Adelaide have any interest in Hawthorn 2nd round and Sparrow for Laird?

I would be, and the club should be interested in that offer. Sparrow looked alright on Wednesday night. Crows tend to play it safe though.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The club should bite your hand off for that, but they won’t.

Laird and the Crows 2nd (hard to see a massive climb above bottom 4 so in between 20-22) for Eagles 1st (14-18)?

I don't think the Crows should jump at that at all. Laird isn't as good as we all thought a couple of years but he's worth more than a minor pick upgrade.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Laird and the Crows 2nd (hard to see a massive climb above bottom 4 so in between 20-22) for Eagles 1st (14-18)?

I don't think the Crows should jump at that at all. Laird isn't as good as we all thought a couple of years but he's worth more than a minor pick upgrade.

Realistically, I don’t think we would get a better deal than that. Remember, there was mention of another player as well.

What do you think he is worth?

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Yep,
Can’t see the crows being happy with what the likes of Laird and Crouch will yield.
Can see them both remaining on the list alongside the contracted Gibbs and Walker ...

You have just pointed out the problem with the club. We need to start again. Therefore we need to move on players that still have some value. Walker and Gibbs have none. Both Crouches and Laird do, and none of them are playing particularly well. We need to do what the other mob in this town did, and move on players of value that will take the club no further. If they do remain on the list, the club deserves to live in the mess they are currently in. Emphasis on club, not members and supporters.

You have hit the nail on the head. Should have moved him on last year. As you can possibly tell, I am against the trend with most other Crows supporters on this. Late first round would be a good result I feel.

He's not going to give you anything major on field going forward. Good player but not the sort that thrives when you're getting belted and probably not going to be beneficial in a leader role from a development perspective. Cash in.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
You have just pointed out the problem with the club. We need to start again. Therefore we need to move on players that still have some value. Walker and Gibbs have none. Both Crouches and Laird do, and none of them are playing particularly well. We need to do what the other mob in this town did, and move on players of value that will take the club no further. If they do remain on the list, the club deserves to live in the mess they are currently in. Emphasis on club, not members and supporters.

I agree, in the current circumstances the club need to move on some players that can yield meaningful returns.
Problem being, other clubs know what you know about your stock and the club may be disappointed in how the market values Laird and the Crouch brothers these days ...

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Late first round at best. Should've traded him last year.

If he is out of contract next year then I take it he is a free agent at that stage? If so tough to see late first rounder without something significant coming back. My offer above was derisory but it is what we paid for Tuohy. It's tough to extract trade value for players these days unless the players are top shelf or young and seen to have upside potential.

If he is out of contract next year then I take it he is a free agent at that stage? If so tough to see late first rounder without something significant coming back.

He is yes.

If he is out of contract next year then I take it he is a free agent at that stage? If so tough to see late first rounder without something significant coming back. My offer above was derisory but it is what we paid for Tuohy. It's tough to extract trade value for players these days unless the players are top shelf or young and seen to have upside potential.

Yeah, but anyone that wants to improve their team instantly isn't quibbling over the marginal difference in getting him in for a year vs some marginal draft improvement. He's worth a late first rounder now under contract, Maybe 9 - 12 when playing well. Not remotely a need for us but I wouldn't care if we gave one of our first rounders for him.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Put himself in the shop window tonight.

1386F033-F1F0-4AD8-93A4-74E622822806.jpeg

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Could see the Suns interested in a player like Laird, with Hanley and Harbrow on their last legs.

In terms of trade value I think a late 1st rd pick would be around the mark.

Back