Recommitted Rory Laird [signed 5 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you damaged?

Laird will be a RFA if he doesn't sign a new contract. If he exercises free agency and there's an offer that triggers Band 2 compensation, Adelaide will have a decision to make about whether they accept that or match and trade. That's my point.

Your point is what? If Laird wants to stay, Adelaide should keep him and pay him. Obviously.
& i answered your question many posts ago.

Whether we match or trade will very much depend on the form of Laird & what FA compo is offered.

So if not Band 1, then what? Accept Band 2?

I'm just saying that the free agency system creates almost irresistible incentives for guys in Laird's position to look elsewhere.

Crows might have to pay overs to keep him.

I think we'd get better than band 2 in a trade. Certainly wouldn't do any worse. I think you match as long as the contract terms align with what you're prepared to keep him on. We didn't match with Brad because they didn't want to risk him staying. There'll be no such concerns with Laird if he wants to go.

I assume he'll get four eventually.
He better not. As good a players as he is he is already 27. Unless your name is Martin, Dangerfield or Fyfe you should not even be thinking about offering them that long at that age.

We gave Sloane 5 years at the same age and it has blown up in our faces. If we give Laird 4 then it will show we have learnt nothing.

He better not. As good a players as he is he is already 27. Unless your name is Martin, Dangerfield or Fyfe you should not even be thinking about offering them that long at that age.

We gave Sloane 5 years at the same age and it has blown up in our faces. If we give Laird 4 then it will show we have learnt nothing.
So he'd be 31 in his final year of a four-year deal. Hardly excessive. I assume another club will offer four.

Then you may lose him. It’s as simple as that.

So he'd be 31 in his final year of a four-year deal. Hardly excessive. I assume another club will offer four.
I would argue that it excessive to offer that to a guy that will 31 by the end of the contract.

Would you agree that in hindsight 5 years was 2 years too long for Rory Sloane, who was the same age when we gave him that contract?

If he receives a four year deal from other clubs it will be clubs in the bottom 4-6. He does not make a big enough difference to justify that length of contract from a Richmond, Geelong, Port or you guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you really afford to keep having key players leave? I’m sure it will get sorted.
Can we afford to hamstring ourselves with excessive contracts the way we have in the past?

Those excessive contracts which, IMO, are the reason we have lost some top younger talent i.e. Cameron, and Lever.

I would argue that it excessive to offer that to a guy that will 31 by the end of the contract.
Why? That's fine. Isn't Laird one of your best 2-3 players? Who else do you need to pay 700k+ in 2022-23?

Would you agree that in hindsight 5 years was 2 years too long for Rory Sloane, who was the same age when we gave him that contract?
Relevance?

If he receives a four year deal from other clubs it will be clubs in the bottom 4-6. He does not make a big enough difference to justify that length of contract from a Richmond, Geelong, Port or you guys.
I'm not sure that's the case. But even if you rule out those four clubs, that leaves a lot of teams in the middle who could/should justify offering him four years.

Why? That's fine. Isn't Laird one of your best 2-3 players? Who else do you need to pay 700k+ in 2022-23?

Relevance?

I'm not sure that's the case. But even if you rule out those four clubs, that leaves a lot of teams in the middle who could/should justify offering him four years.
Because a lot can happen in that time.

Yes, he is in our best 2-3 players right now, that is sign of where the list is at. On current form nobody at our club should be in earning 700K+. That probably needs to happen though as you have to pay up to a certain amount of the cap.

I will let you work what relevance it has. I have already spelt it out for you once.

Would you be happy with your club to offer Rory Laird 4 years?

For the record, I am happy for us to offer 3, but no more.

Yes, he is in our best 2-3 players right now, that is sign of where the list is at. On current form nobody at our club should be in earning 700K+.
Right, so you offer him four years and frontload it so you're paying him less in the final year. As you say, you can afford it and he's one of your best players.

I will let you work what relevance it has. I have already spelt it out for you once.
Sloane's deal has no bearing on Laird's deal. That's a strange connection to make.

Would you be happy with your club to offer Rory Laird 4 years?
My concern would be more about the total amount of money than the length of the deal. But all things being equal, yes probably, particularly when you consider we've lost Jetta and Hurn won't be there next year.

We picked up Witherden who probably slots into one of those roles but if recruiting Laird meant never selecting Nelson again, I'd be more than amenable.

Last edited:

I mean you just gave Smith 3 years and i would argue Laird is the better player (and younger) so 4 is definitely reasonable imo.

I mean you just gave Smith 3 years and i would argue Laird is the better player (and younger) so 4 is definitely reasonable imo.
Laird is better now than Smith is. That is mostly down to Smith's injury history. Brodie has not been the same post his knee in 2017. At their best I would argue that Smithers was as good if not better, and certainly more damaging.

A lot on our own board feel that 3 was 1 too many for Smithers, which I can understand. I am comfortable enough with it, as we need some experienced players at the club, but feel that Laird and any other player at 26 and above are at the stage where they should not offered more than 3 years. It is purely age related. If Laird were 25, I would be OK with 4 years. Also where the club is at plays a bit of a roll in how I feel about it.

We used to give out longer contracts to guys a similar age, Walker, Sloane, Betts, Jenkins, Gibbs and of course David Mackay which blew up in our faces and we were rightly criticised for. I don't wish for us to repeat that.

Despite this, I suspect that you and Sweet Jesus are right and he will probably get 4 years somewhere, and that I am probably in the minority, and may even be a lone voice.

Rory will re-sign.
And lol at some of the comments here.
Laird is a far better player than Saad, so if he was to leave what Essendon got for Saad would be a starting point for Laird.

He's an RFA, likely he'll go (if he goes) via that avenue. Basically the Brad Crouch scenario again where Adelaide will be hoping he gets paid enough to attract Band 1 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back