Recommitted Rory Laird [signed 5 year deal]

Remove this Banner Ad

His 28 this yr a few good games in the midfield doesn't make him a gun midfielder.
He has clearly played his best football as a defender and you would have to know that or your the clueless one but that's okđź‘Ť
Learn to quote properly... as you should at least be able to get the simple things right...

Wouldn’t be shocked if he signed a five year contract with the possibility of a trigger for a sixth which would take him through to nearly 34 years old which is when good players like him generally retire. I think that the Crows will budge and give him 5 though.

I initially thought that 5 years is a long time for a 27 year old, however giving it more thought:
- He has played 20 or more games in 5/8 seasons (including 2020 because that was match limited and he played every single game) and has played more than 15 games every single season, so unless he has an incredible run of bad luck I think he's good for it
- Most likely being paid under what he would get on the free market and since he's South Australian most likely less than playing for an interstate team
- Adelaide desperately need high quality on-field leaders for their rebuild and Laird is the perfect candidate
- Contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on and if Adelaide want him out they will find a way
- Nowadays above average players want job security - see Grundy, Franklin, Wines, T. Kelly, Cameron. A lot of people critique clubs for these long term contracts, but they're constantly on offer from competing clubs and if you want to retain players you have to match, just the way the market is currently.
- Wasn't that long ago he was in the AA team and has been in and out of different roles for the sake of the team. You want to keep players willing to do that for club culture.

Good signing.

So he'd be 31 in his final year of a four-year deal. Hardly excessive. I assume another club will offer four.
I would argue that it excessive to offer that to a guy that will 31 by the end of the contract.

Would you agree that in hindsight 5 years was 2 years too long for Rory Sloane, who was the same age when we gave him that contract?

If he receives a four year deal from other clubs it will be clubs in the bottom 4-6. He does not make a big enough difference to justify that length of contract from a Richmond, Geelong, Port or you guys.

Let's be real here. If Rory signed a 3 year deal, does anyone think that he wouldn't get another couple of years after that? Something massive would have to happen for him to not be on the Crows list in four years time.
If the Crows are happy with the money side of things, five years is no big deal.
He is a SA lad, wants to be a one club player and he is an All Australian and club B&F, with very little injury history.

Not unexpected, but great news as we need his experience with a young squad.
Seems he has a lot of faith in this crows rebuild..... To be honest I see the crows finishing bottom 6 in 2021 and 2022, then got for a finals push in 2023.

Dont get me wrong. I do rate Rory laird. 5 years seems a bit. 4 would of been enough to tie him up as a 31 year old.

Still..... a lot can happen between now and 4-5 years time.

Seems he has a lot of faith in this crows rebuild..... To be honest I see the crows finishing bottom 6 in 2021 and 2022, then got for a finals push in 2023.

Dont get me wrong. I do rate Rory laird. 5 years seems a bit. 4 would of been enough to tie him up as a 31 year old.

Still..... a lot can happen between now and 4-5 years time.
Yes, we are a near certainty for bottom 6 this year & you are probably right we won't push for finals till 23 once our younger players have 50+ games.

Surprised a little by the extra year if no triggers, but assume he has signed for unders pa for getting long term security. Hopefully front loaded given our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, we are a near certainty for bottom 6 this year & you are probably right we won't push for finals till 23 once our younger players have 50+ games.

Surprised a little by the extra year if no triggers, but assume he has signed for unders pa for getting long term security. Hopefully front loaded given our list.
To me its not just about getting games into kids for the Sake of it, its about rotating the kids as well. As I said Look at your KPD stocks. You got Talia, Dodee, McAsey, Worrall and Butts. Talia will play as the FB. Dodee being 188cm can play 3rd tall on a back pocket or on a back flank. McAsey, Worrel and Butts are all 196-198 cm. So its a 22 game season and all 3 can be rotated at CHB.

Getting Hately from GWS and Hinge from Brisbane helps. Not going to turn your side from bottom 4 to top 4 in 12 months, But getting some young fringe 21-24 year olds from other clubs while your team draft 18-19 year old kids will help.

If Rory Laird accepted a 5 year deal then it has to be front loaded.

I remember Brad Hills 5 year contract at $500,000. It was front loaded as he was on $700,000 a year for the 1st 2 years, then $500,000 on the 3rd year then $300,000 on years 4 and 5. Brad Hill wanted to be traded after the 3rd year as the saints offered him $900,00 a year for 5-6 years.

If Laird signed a 5 year deal, Im guessing its $500,000 a year where years 1 and 2 he is on $600,000 a year then $500,000 on the 3rd then $400,000 years 4 and 5. Smart move when it comes to salary cap as younger guys like Milera, Fogarty etc will eventually ask for pay rises.

To me its not just about getting games into kids for the Sake of it, its about rotating the kids as well. As I said Look at your KPD stocks. You got Talia, Dodee, McAsey, Worrall and Butts. Talia will play as the FB. Dodee being 188cm can play 3rd tall on a back pocket or on a back flank. McAsey, Worrel and Butts are all 196-198 cm. So its a 22 game season and all 3 can be rotated at CHB.

Getting Hately from GWS and Hinge from Brisbane helps. Not going to turn your side from bottom 4 to top 4 in 12 months, But getting some young fringe 21-24 year olds from other clubs while your team draft 18-19 year old kids will help.

If Rory Laird accepted a 5 year deal then it has to be front loaded.

I remember Brad Hills 5 year contract at $500,000. It was front loaded as he was on $700,000 a year for the 1st 2 years, then $500,000 on the 3rd year then $300,000 on years 4 and 5. Brad Hill wanted to be traded after the 3rd year as the saints offered him $900,00 a year for 5-6 years.

If Laird signed a 5 year deal, Im guessing its $500,000 a year where years 1 and 2 he is on $600,000 a year then $500,000 on the 3rd then $400,000 years 4 and 5. Smart move when it comes to salary cap as younger guys like Milera, Fogarty etc will eventually ask for pay rises.
Agree with most of this... including need to have some experienced players to lead the young squad.

Milera is already on a long deal... but there will be other younger players who will demand more in a couple of years time.

Imagine Thilthorpe's next deal will be significantly more!

Sweet Jesus, do you think that 5 years is a good deal for Rory Laird?

Right now, it is and this time 2 years from now, you wont regret it if by the end of 2023, crows are pushing for finals.
Freo, I agree with you most of the time, but not on this occassion. He signed that 5 year deal at the start of the year when he was already contracted for this year. We did something similar with Sloane, and it has become a noose around our necks. I will take a fair bit of convincing that this is a good deal.

As for us pushing for finals, we are long way off finals. Over the last month, we have been the worst side comp. At least we are the one team in this town that can beat a top 4 team.

Freo, I agree with you most of the time, but not on this occassion. He signed that 5 year deal at the start of the year when he was already contracted for this year. We did something similar with Sloane, and it has become a noose around our necks. I will take a fair bit of convincing that this is a good deal.

As for us pushing for finals, we are long way off finals. Over the last month, we have been the worst side comp. At least we are the one team in this town that can beat a top 4 team.

yeah people can debate about Sloanes 5 year deal but at the time, Crows had victorian players leaving. So retaining Sloane was good at the time.

Josh Jenkins was another one. In 2016 Josh Jenkins had his best season in his career kicking 62 goals and 29 behinds from 24 games. Crows offered a 3 or 4 year deal. Jenkins wanted 5 years. Brisbane Lions were chasing him at $750,000 a year. Jenkins decided to stay at the crows.

I dont think the Laird deal will be a noose around your teams neck and wont set your team back 2-4 years. Lairds only on $600,000 a year anyway. I think Laird is confident that the crows can turn it around in 3-4 years time

yeah people can debate about Sloanes 5 year deal but at the time, Crows had victorian players leaving. So retaining Sloane was good at the time.

Josh Jenkins was another one. In 2016 Josh Jenkins had his best season in his career kicking 62 goals and 29 behinds from 24 games. Crows offered a 3 or 4 year deal. Jenkins wanted 5 years. Brisbane Lions were chasing him at $750,000 a year. Jenkins decided to stay at the crows.

I dont think the Laird deal will be a noose around your teams neck and wont set your team back 2-4 years. Lairds only on $600,000 a year anyway. I think Laird is confident that the crows can turn it around in 3-4 years time
The length of the deal was the problem with Sloane, as it is with Laird. The money is not that important, it is that they are taking up a list spot that at the end of that contract their form does not deserve, and thus keep someone potentially more deserving of a spot on the list off of it.

Josh Jenkins was never worth a 5 year deal. We should have let Josh go to Brisbane if it was a 5 year deal. Do you think Lions fans are disappointed they missed out on him not being on their list for 5 years at the time?

Look as far as the Laird deal goes, I hope I am wrong, but history at our club, as it does at most, has a tendency to repeat itself.

I, and many others on here, do not share your confidence that we can turn it around in 3-4 years time?

Last edited:
The difference between laird and Sloane is laird was an all Australian HBF... he can go back there later in his career if needed.

The difference between laird and Sloane is laird was an all Australian HBF... he can go back there later in his career if needed.
That is a reasonable point that you make, but his All Australian form back there was early in his career, when he had more pace than he would at the back end of his career. Also, Sloane was drafted as more a HBF type, and moved in to the midfield. I can't see us moving him back there, and I suspect the same thing would happen Laird.

The length of the deal was the problem with Sloane, as it is with Laird. The money is not that important, it is that they are taking up a list spot that at the end of that contract their form does not deserve, and thus keep someone potentially more deserving of a spot on the list off of it.

Josh Jenkins was never worth a 5 year deal. We should have let Josh go to Brisbane if it was a 5 year deal. Do you think Lions fans are disappointed they missed out on him not being on their list for 5 years at the time?

Look as far as the Laird deal goes, I hope I am wrong, but history at our club, as it does at most, has a tendency to repeat itself.

I, and many others on here, do not share your confidence that we can turn it around in 3-4 years time?
Jenkins was on career best form when he was out of contract as stated. He capitalized on it, like most people would. I think to some degree Some Lions fans were disappointed. But there was that butterfly effect. Had Brisbane got Jenkins at the end of 2016.... Would they have traded pick 3 to the crows? THat means no Hugh McCluggage. They might not of got Joe Daniher as well.

Laird being given a 4 year deal would of been fine. Then again, you dont know where the crows will be in 3-5 year time.

Sloane made All Australian in 2016. and Rightfully so as he averaged 24.2 disposals a game. kicked 13 goals and 10 behinds that season too.

Sloane Should of made the AA squad in 2017 as well. Averaged 23.2 disposals a game, kicked 20 goals and 7 behinds and helped get the crows to a grand final too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back