Opinion Rory Lobb (GWS Giants)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a bad feeling WCE will get max value for Lycett and pick up Lobb and Pickett from GWS and we'll have a stalemate on McCarthy.
Yep i have a gut feel about WC screwing a few of our offseason plans. Definately a more attractive club to go to at the moment

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

His contested marking his something to behold. Also a good field kick for someone who is 206.
His ruckwork is contemptible however.

Be interesting to see where he ends up as a player (I.E. how much improvement is in him). Reluctant to trade for him though as that contested marking ability up his price with without offering guarantees he would develop into a 50/60 goal forward. Jumping over the pack is one thing, but one on one on the lead or flat footed against the oppositions best defender is another thing entirely. (Same reason Fyfe will never be a permanent forward.)

He's only played 31 games, yet he's shown more than any of the others you've posted alongside him. He's worth the gamble, I reckon.
His stats sit comfortably in that group of players and half of them wouldn't attract a 2nd rounder let alone pick three. Lobb is a good young player I'd like at Freo but let's keep some perspective :thumbsu:

If you guys somehow manage to pull off an amazing off-season and snare McCarthy, Lobb AND Hill, along with a fully fit fyfe, johnson, sandi, pearce, bennell....oh boy, wowee. don't get the doom and gloom tbh, and i f**king hate you guys.

p.s. we dont want ballantyne
We f#$en hate you too, but thanks. Ps, dont expect it to happen, Bond cant land a root in a brothel.

His contested marking his something to behold. Also a good field kick for someone who is 206.
His ruckwork is contemptible however.

Be interesting to see where he ends up as a player (I.E. how much improvement is in him). Reluctant to trade for him though as that contested marking ability up his price with without offering guarantees he would develop into a 50/60 goal forward. Jumping over the pack is one thing, but one on one on the lead or flat footed against the oppositions best defender is another thing entirely. (Same reason Fyfe will never be a permanent forward.)

Yeah I think he's the perfect 2nd ruck when you have a guy like Mumford/Sandilands/whatever who's rucking 70%+ of the game. Lobb can wander where he likes and create match-up havoc for the opposition. I wonder if he'd make a pretty decent CHF given his tank and kicking.

For me i'm fine with it if the price is right, I don't think we're really in a position to pass up a guy with his talent and height unless it costs us the moon.

3 for Lobb and Mccarthy can't be too far off with 80% being for Lobb. Mccarthy has played one season (and one game) he kicked 35.14 which fair enough was a cracking season for a young forward but that's followed up with over a year without a single game of football or even training with an AFL club. No small risk taking him on even if he still wants to be at Freo.

No idea if I'd prefer the trade or the pick but do know I'm ready for this season to be over with... then we get to spend endless hours talking rubbish trade rumours followed by the last minute consolation trade.

His stats sit comfortably in that group of players and half of them wouldn't attract a 2nd rounder let alone pick three. Lobb is a good young player I'd like at Freo but let's keep some perspective :thumbsu:

He is second in the competition for contested marks and he's kicked 25 goals as a ruck forward. He's comfortably worth pick 3. Let's see how those stats add up.

Yep i have a gut feel about WC screwing a few of our offseason plans. Definately a more attractive club to go to at the moment

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Don't see WCE trading a handy 2nd ruck/fwd just to get another while their midfield is in shambles. Fell across the line against an average GWS today.

We will have to throw something more than decent at gws to please them. They didn't budge on McCarthy and it will be the same with lobb. He will be over priced and the draft will be a better option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do these young players sign long term contracts when they end up wanting to be traded and come home 12 months before there contract ends. If they dont like living in western sydney why sign a long contract in the first place

Why do these young players sign long term contracts when they end up wanting to be traded and come home 12 months before there contract ends. If they dont like living in western sydney why sign a long contract in the first place

Yep. I think there needs to be some monitoring of salary and contracts early days.
I remember when there was talk of Patton possibly leaving. He did his knee and signed an extension almost instantly. Players do it for security but GWS do it to hold players and seek value when it suits them.
It would be hard to knock back an extension when you're not a regular and playing seconds and that's when GWS sign them up.

We are in serious trouble re ruckman. Sandi will be 34 in Dec. 2017 most likely his last year. Griff & Hannath are peel players and not game winners. Clarke will be traded back home. So we need ruckman. Lobb has many more strings to the bow than McCarthy. I'd go for Lobb in a big way. Giants have said they are in market for a crumbing forward so Ballas to giants plus a second rounder for Lobb.

We are in serious trouble re ruckman. Sandi will be 34 in Dec. 2017 most likely his last year. Griff & Hannath are peel players and not game winners. Clarke will be traded back home. So we need ruckman. Lobb has many more strings to the bow than McCarthy. I'd go for Lobb in a big way. Giants have said they are in market for a crumbing forward so Ballas to giants plus a second rounder for Lobb.
Not even close to Lobbs worth.

GWS will probably demand pick #3 for McCarthy, let alone Lobb. The way those entitled pricks act at the trade table, there is zero chance of getting Lobb for anything remotely resembling fair value.

I think we have no chance on Lobb...why would GWS even entertain the idea of letting him go when they are in a Premiership window period?!
Lets be sensible about players....Aim for what is actually realistic, like McCarthy.
You should get McCarthy relatively cheaply as he hasn't played this year so to an tents and purposes GWS have already accepted his loss. That also means he can be used as one of the list reductions they have to make so they can hang on to another player. I doubt Lobb will go but if he does, you may struggle to satisfy GWS in any proposed trade

No way he'll be traded this year.

If you were GWS would you trade him if you didn't have to? It will cost pretty much pick 3 just for Lobb.

Next year is when we should try get him.

From GWS pov, He is out of contract end next year.
If Lobb wants to come home and is forced to stay there for one more year, GWS risk losing his trade value that he currently has.
That's the real equation which is not unlike the McCarthy situation. GWS lost two first round picks to have a player sit out an entire season.
Do GWS really want a repetition or anything even remotely similar to that ?
It comes down to how adamant Lobb is about returning.

From GWS pov, He is out of contract end next year.
If Lobb wants to come home and is forced to stay there for one more year, GWS risk losing his trade value that he currently has.
That's the real equation which is not unlike the McCarthy situation. GWS lost two first round picks to have a player sit out an entire season.
Do GWS really want a repetition or anything even remotely similar to that ?
It comes down to how adamant Lobb is about returning.
Cameron said Lobb looked bemused when questioned about it, but then we all know what Leon's version of the truth looks like!

We're in serious trouble across the board - no ruckmen, no forwards, no defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back