Recommitted Rory Lobb [trade is off, staying at Fremantle]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Lobb is still worth a 2nd rounder if he was out of contract. He’s still an decent AFL footballer on average and his position is hard to fill.

Suns would have made plenty worse trades then 19 + 23 for Lobb and 28

Yes they have done worse trades but that doesn't mean that is a good trade. Overpaid overrated and inconsistent. Plenty of tall players who fit that bill who would be cheaper.

Worth a bump given Morris continues to double down on Lobb wanting to leave.

Seems like Lobb is keen to leave if he can but money and draft capital to get a dude being paid 200k a year too much with 2 years left on his contract is hard for clubs to stomach given current cap situations

I’d be upset if we traded him for 19 and 23. That would feel like a loss. Both those picks are drifting back a few slots. More likely to be 23 and 27.

He’s worth more than that. I also think he’ll play for years to come. He entered the afl at 21? He’s not been around that long.
Unless your picking up fair wedge of his wage you won't get much

Seems like Lobb is keen to leave if he can but money and draft capital to get a dude being paid 200k a year too much with 2 years left on his contract is hard for clubs to stomach given current cap situations
I assume if he really wants to leave he takes a pay cut too but probably gets an extra year.

Unless your picking up fair wedge of his wage you won't get much
Won't trade him unless we get overs

There is no way this trade happens

Freo will want overs
other team will want unders
Noone will want to pay for Lobb

Its literally the Neale trade again, the only hope is that maybe someone in the window is willing to pay overs for him but these 28/29 year olds are at too old of an age for any team to come to a fair trade.

Won't trade him unless we get overs

There is no way this trade happens

Freo will want overs
other team will want unders
Noone will want to pay for Lobb

Its literally the Neale trade again, the only hope is that maybe someone in the window is willing to pay overs for him but these 28/29 year olds are at too old of an age for any team to come to a fair trade.
As we know unlikely he moves but again we have seen players really push and Freo might have someone else to allocate the money too

Tbf, at 700k a year, he's being paid a bit more than 200k too much. Its hard to see him leaving, he won't want to take a paycut and if freo want him to stay they aren't going to pay part of his contract.

Tbf, at 700k a year, he's being paid a bit more than 200k too much. Its hard to see him leaving, he won't want to take a paycut and if freo want him to stay they aren't going to pay part of his contract.
He's still a decent player, think most clubs would pay him 500k to bring him across. But yes, would take some serious stars aligning to have any chance of moving, especially with the pay cuts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Lobb signs a totally new deal with a club picking up his two remaining years with a four or five year deal spreading the cash out he could find a place in a lot of sides.

But, I don't see a circumstance where Freo is happy to release him when he is so needed by us for a price that doesn't scare off another club.

Something like:
Geelong send 2022nd 1st and Clark for Lobb

Perfect for WBD.

WBD should give Freo pick 17 for Lobb and a bunch of late picks, as well as asking Freo to take a decent pie of Lobb's salary. So same deal as Treloar last year, let's see if Freo is as dumb as we were

Perfect for WBD.

WBD should give Freo pick 17 for Lobb and a bunch of late picks, as well as asking Freo to take a decent pie of Lobb's salary. So same deal as Treloar last year, let's see if Freo is as dumb as we were

If Freo don't want to lose him and can afford to keep him, I don't think it's on Freo to move him on.

If Freo don't want to lose him and can afford to keep him, I don't think it's on Freo to move him on.
There's a difference between a player that you CAN keep and what is an optimal way of spending that cash.

For me Freo's list after losing Cerra is in stuck in no mans land, where ur elite talent are all retiring, but equally you don't seem committed to a rebuild either. Regardless, if you can somehow convert Lobb into an early pick you'd do that I reckon, even if you have to pay some cash.

There's a difference between a player that you CAN keep and what is an optimal way of spending that cash.

For me Freo's list after losing Cerra is in stuck in no mans land, where ur elite talent are all retiring, but equally you don't seem committed to a rebuild either. Regardless, if you can somehow convert Lobb into an early pick you'd do that I reckon, even if you have to pay some cash.
How have we not been committed to a rebuild? Have you seen how many U23 players we have in our squad? Our elite retiring talent is only Mundy after next year.

Perfect for WBD.

You got rid of Treloar because of salary issues but we dont have a problem with our salary cap so the only way I can us letting go of Lobb is if we want to move a big chunk of his salary to reel in an established player.

Surely The last thing Western Bulldogs need is another 207cm guy who is much better forward than in the ruck. Or doesn’t want to play in the ruck. Especially with Darcy about to come on board.

Unless of course they think English is going to want to leave for WA at the end of next year and they want to get in early and they swap him for Lobb.

Assuming Lobb signs a totally new deal with a club picking up his two remaining years with a four or five year deal spreading the cash out he could find a place in a lot of sides.

But, I don't see a circumstance where Freo is happy to release him when he is so needed by us for a price that doesn't scare off another club.

Something like:
Geelong send 2022nd 1st and Clark for Lobb

The last thing we need is a tall forward.

I also dont think anyone is giving Lobb a 5 year deal at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back