Rumour Rory Lobb

Remove this Banner Ad

Played majority of time in the ruck. Settle everyone

I'm a giants member here in Sydney and have seen pretty much every game he has played for the club.

You will not regret this trade at all.

Relax, don't look at stats and think too hard about it.

Awesome player and I am stoked to have him in purple

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Simmo, seeing as you have seen both Lobb and Tabs play in the flesh (and similarish roles), who would you say has the higher ceiling? I thought Tabs looked very good early on in the year. Especially against the Dons in round 2

On fox footy tonight they said Lobb is on 900k after a killer 2016. The giants are apparently 2 million over the cap. They desperately need to salary dump. To me 11 for a 25 makes no sense whatsoever. You can see via Scully, Shiels etc how desperately they need money off their books...

11 for 14 and some other pick swap could work. 900k is serious cash. Salary dumps cost assets, just look at the NBA.

The quicker people understand this in the modern system of AFL, the better.

Yes but if we get Hogan that's 2 injury suspect 1m dollar players on our list and this new " AFL " could be biting us on the ass pretty quick

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

On fox footy tonight they said Lobb is on 900k after a killer 2016. The giants are apparently 2 million over the cap. They desperately need to salary dump. To me 11 for a 25 makes no sense whatsoever. You can see via Scully, Shiels etc how desperately they need money off their books...

11 for 14 and some other pick swap could work. 900k is serious cash. Salary dumps cost assets, just look at the NBA.

The quicker people understand this in the modern system of AFL, the better.

Like i said earlier, they're the ones with the problem. Pick 23 and we pick up $900K. Deal or no deal... Stuff the 11 for 14 swap.

I'll take 900k with a grain of salt, I understand they would have backpaid it but that's just insane for Lobb.

If its anywhere near true and we give up 11 I'll absolutely filthy unless its 11 to 14 (by itself), even then I'd rather just give 23.

Getting high in this draft is stupidly expensive. WC cant even turn pick 20 and 21 into 11 or better.

Stay high, give them 23 or 18 if we get it from Neale. 11 should be almost off the table

Yes but if we get Hogan that's 2 injury suspect 1m dollar players on our list and this new " AFL " could be biting us on the ass pretty quick

I don't think you quite follow. I'm saying in the NBA teams have to give away draft picks in order to Salary Dump payers and get under salary caps. I'm not saying we are quite at that level yet, but no way should we be swapping our pick 11 for GWS 25.

I'm saying in the relatively "new" AFL of salary caps, huge salaries (ala GWS) and pick and player swapping, teams should get used to hardly getting anything at all when they are dumping players with huge salaries to get under caps.

I'm saying the deal sucks, and it should be more like 11 for 14 or the like, or pick 23 alone, as IP suggested.

Last edited:
I'll take 900k with a grain of salt, I understand they would have backpaid it but that's just insane for Lobb.

If its anywhere near true and we give up 11 I'll absolutely filthy unless its 11 to 14 (by itself), even then I'd rather just give 23.

Getting high in this draft is stupidly expensive. WC cant even turn pick 20 and 21 into 11 or better.

Stay high, give them 23 or 18 if we get it from Neale. 11 should be almost off the table

Lobb played every game in a breakout season for the Giants in 2016, when he took the second most contested marks in the competition (60) behind Gold Coast star Tom Lynch, and kicked 29.16 playing as a deep forward.

The Giants then gave him a fat 3 year contract, apparently with the third year at 900k.

Jason McCartney the GWS list manager came out today and said they basically have to trade players away to get under the cap. He inherited a list with a lot of big contracts coming up in 2019. A bit of a mess, really.

Everything points to Lobb's salary being around that size, so i think the only salt you can sample on this one is the mouthful we'll be eating if we give up pick 11 for an essential part of a GWS firesale.

Simmo, seeing as you have seen both Lobb and Tabs play in the flesh (and similarish roles), who would you say has the higher ceiling? I thought Tabs looked very good early on in the year. Especially against the Dons in round 2
Mate I am a Tabs fan, I feel he has so much potential and a massive tank. But I just am not sure if he will ever show that potential fully.

I reckon draft them both side by side without seeing them play AFL you would think Tabs would be better in the long run. But right now Lobb is far ahead in my opinion

Hopefully both can improve even more then we have a win win

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think you quite follow. I'm saying in the NBA teams have to give away draft picks in order to Salary Dump payers and get under salary caps. I'm not saying we are quite at that level yet, but no way should we be swapping our pick 11 for GWS 25.

I'm saying in the relatively "new" AFL of salary caps, huge salaries (ala GWS) and pick and player swapping, teams should get used to hardly getting anything at all when they are dumping players with huge salaries to get under caps.

I'm saying the deal sucks, and it should be more like 11 for 14 or the like, or pick 23 alone, as IP suggested.

I understand , I'm just saying by trading in highly paid players it would not take much to go wrong before we are the team trying to dump players and having problems with the cap , someone said there are only 13 players on a 1m in the AFL , we already have one in Fyfe and now with Hogan asking for 1m and Lobb close to it it seems risky to have 3 players on that much money when there are so few in the league in general

I understand , I'm just saying by trading in highly paid players it would not take much to go wrong before we are the team trying to dump players and having problems with the cap , someone said there are only 13 players on a 1m in the AFL , we already have one in Fyfe and now with Hogan asking for 1m and Lobb close to it it seems risky to have 3 players on that much money when there are so few in the league in general

Lobb will have one year on top dollar and then go back to normal rates.

It's not $900k for 3/4/5 years, it will be only the first year.

I think we might have two players on around 900k ,
Cameron and Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media believe Cameron's next year is going to make him top five paid in the league.

Reports at the time he signed a 5 year deal in 2015 were 1 million a season, the club said it was less.

I think that's based on the assumption it was backended? What I've seen is media reports assuming that. If it was and how much is unknown of course. 2020 is the last year and if it was backended and simply moved out to the future that would likely be the biggest balloon payment.

Looking forward from 2015 the club was expecting out cap and list concessions to wind down and end in 2019. Of course that changed when we finished top 4 in 2016, and they ended abruptly. Not complaining we had very generous concessions and our list and depth in 2016 was insane.

I think it lends to the view we wouldn't have moved the payments to when the cap normalised though.There's been no reports of renegotiation, as there was with Scully's long term deal. Against that we may not have been expecting player retention to be as successful as it was.

Surely with GWS firesale, nothing more than pick 30. I’d like to see what change falls out of the hogan deal

Still amazed with the Scully deal - hoping we reference that in our negotiations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely with GWS firesale, nothing more than pick 30. I’d like to see what change falls out of the hogan deal

Still amazed with the Scully deal - hoping we reference that in our negotiations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they need to offload him now $cully is gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back