Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Only happens once a year though. (Except draws)
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

In the two other grand finals the first goals were kicked by Jason Heatley and John Blakey.

So no.

Valid point.

Unless it leads directly to a premiership no highlight is significant.

We should just remove Gary Ablett, Nathan Buckley and Robert Harvey from the history books. Insignificant.

Valid point.

Unless it leads directly to a premiership no highlight is significant.

We should just remove Gary Ablett, Nathan Buckley and Robert Harvey from the history books. Insignificant.
No one said that.

I just don’t think the first goal of a gf carries much weight. Even had we won.

Shame how it's ended on multiple levels.

Always remember his debut wearing 31 and the quick hands, laying out Danger in the 2017 Prelim and as a niche the goal he scored against Geelong on a Friday night in 2018 just after re-signing for five years.

Has to be a top 20 player all time, potentially top 15?

That makes it even worse. You don't think kicking a goal in a winning grand final would be a career highlight?!?!?

Who are you - Dustin Martin?!?!?!?
When talking about a players resume at the end of a career I don’t think a goal in a gf (unless it was pivotal) belongs in the same sentence as games played, awards won, captaincy etc.

It’s more like trivia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had some great years and deserved his B&Fs and AA. Was a seriously good player but just couldn’t beat that tag. Which I blamed, and continue to do so, on the coaches. Just so arrogant and rigid with their setups. Anyway, right decision made, a little belatedly and he retires with an enviable record for us and as an AFL player.

Got the absolute best out of himself, always left everything on the park.

Do wonder if a different decision would be made if we were 5-2?

One of my all time favourite players with the way he conducted himself on and off the field. My on field highlights have been mentioned a few times already, so will pick out something off field.

I think him signing a big deal to stay a few years ago has helped a lot with our player retention since. That ended a few years of losing big name players and I'm sure it has helped with locking down Victorian guys like Rachele and Soligo to long term deals since.

One of my all time favourite players with the way he conducted himself on and off the field. My on field highlights have been mentioned a few times already, so will pick out something off field.

I think him signing a big deal to stay a few years ago has helped a lot with our player retention since. That ended a few years of losing big name players and I'm sure it has helped with locking down Victorian guys like Rachele and Soligo to long term deals since.
I’m sorry that last point is absolute nonsense. First of all he got an extra year out of us to stay when his injury concerns saw Saints lose a bit of interest. He had us over a barrel and new it.

His contract has had nothing to do with the Young guys staying on, the club has changed a lot off field and that’s the reason why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back