Recommitted Rory Sloane

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t speak for everyone but if I were an AFL player I’d rather play at Richmond for $400k a year than at Gold Coast for $500k a year.
You get ripped off by your agent manager for not doing his job , if I am that player I ask for 300k or 400k more . Your agent manager not doing a nice job for you at negotiations table. How much do you think Kelly get paid for to stay with GWS, just 100k more .

Last edited:

Outside mid exactly fits the bill. Gaff would go well at Melbourne.

sloane feels a good melbourne man or quite good at essendon. st kilda is not doing too well, they need to trade for unknown gems, if your recruiters are sharp enough you could find them readily available at very cheap price provide a club has a clear direction and goal for them to fulfill.

I'm very keen on him at north and would like to see us use some of the war chest on him

Add him as a free agent and seriously contend next year with another addition likes JDG

he is 28 turning 29, perhaps not, keep the caps open for someone like kelly.......

sloane feels a good melbourne man or quite good at essendon. st kilda is not doing too well, they need to trade for unknown gems, if your recruiters are sharp enough you could find them readily available at very cheap price provide a club has a clear direction and goal for them to fulfill.
I have no idea what Melbourne's plans are but 6 months ago they held very little interest in Sloane. Have his type in spades with Viney, Jones, Tyson, ANB.

Still think he's Hawks bound. Would love him but I doubt he'd come to us unless we demonstrate some consistency in the second half of the year honestly, and rightly so.

There'd be room for both

Feel like we'd get 4 years out of Sloane and would make us a contender

true if our window is opening, which i think i looking more and more likely. windows can open............and shut very quickly in afl. For bulldogs it has shut due to their untimely slip down the ladder. while they are still very talented, others have moved passed them. their style, gameplan is no long the most dominant of the current time. surprisingly our's might be opening very soon. 2019 is a possibility if waite and thompson can continue their career best form, benny continue to be a powerhouse forward with good support from wood, jacobs continues as the master tagger and daw continues to thrive in his new role as 3rd tall, 2nd ruck ala a defensive leigh brown.

with the right support cast, if we can net sloane then him and higgin could be prime mover in the middle provide the like of cunnington, jacobs, mcdonald can do the dirty work and the simpkins, hartung, ldu, tt and other second tier to fulfill their tasks then we might have something good in 2019. But regardless, 2019 will be the year where we launch into top 4 or at the very least entrench in the top 8 so that we can have an extended stay for 4 to 5 years in the finals. as the list grow, we get FA and trade for a few decent players we challenge for a flag.

Personally i also believe that the AFL should not give the team losing a player comp pick and penalise the rest of the teams for 1 team gaining a gun player and another team inability to keep its players but with the way the free agency has transpired my solution would be that the club that gets the free agent should provide the compo pick to stop all the free agents just going to the better clubs and keeping them powerful and the lower clubs struggling.

e.g West Coast lose Gaff to Melbourne and Gaff is deemed to be a Band 1 compo then Melbourne need to give the compo to west coast
It would stop clubs just throwing crazy money at players so they get them for no trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn are going down the wrong path if that's the case.
Yea it's a tough one, i agree that i don't think his age fits what we should be chasing and i am very surprised to hear we are keen (if it's true). If it is just going to cost us salary though i think it will be fine. Gaff would make a lot more sense for a FA target although plenty of other clubs are keen to get him across so it would be difficult.

If Sloane nominates Hawks then you can guarentee Crows will match offer as it will be under 900k you would bet.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Could almost guarantee u we wouldn’t trade for him, we can’t really afford to. I’m not exactly sure why we are interested, completely wrong age bracket for us, so we’ll wait and see what comes out

Could almost guarantee u we wouldn’t trade for him, we can’t really afford to. I’m not exactly sure why we are interested, completely wrong age bracket for us, so we’ll wait and see what comes out
The hawks are an interesting club that tends to break the mould when it comes to recruitment. Maybe they see Sloane as a guy that - apart from his foot issues this year, has almost never been injured and that he could go like Burgoyne well into his 30's. He certainly offers plenty of class and the old chestnut about him easily being tagged, well we saw Martin get tagged out of the game V north, so no-one is immune from the tag. The hawks might see Mitchell and Omeara as being their star mids, but might think adding in another topline mid could get them to flag contention next year and the year after. Do the hawks have a 1st round pick this year? - as I tend to agree with SuperCrouchBro above that the hawks don't pay overs and the crows could match. But we also have seen that when the hawks want their man, they generally work out a deal to get him and I would not be surprised if they wanted sloane that they would part with their 1st rounder if they had to

The hawks are an interesting club that tends to break the mould when it comes to recruitment. Maybe they see Sloane as a guy that - apart from his foot issues this year, has almost never been injured and that he could go like Burgoyne well into his 30's. He certainly offers plenty of class and the old chestnut about him easily being tagged, well we saw Martin get tagged out of the game V north, so no-one is immune from the tag. The hawks might see Mitchell and Omeara as being their star mids, but might think adding in another topline mid could get them to flag contention next year and the year after. Do the hawks have a 1st round pick this year? - as I tend to agree with SuperCrouchBro above that the hawks don't pay overs and the crows could match. But we also have seen that when the hawks want their man, they generally work out a deal to get him and I would not be surprised if they wanted sloane that they would part with their 1st rounder if they had to
I love sloane, reckon he’s a gun. Still think we are a few pieces of the puzzle away from a premiership but you never know. Yeah we have a 1st this year but I would imagine it’ll be somewhere in the top 10. With this draft being a super draft and the potential to get a mid who could be at the club for 10 plus years I would sincerely hope that they back themselves in to pick a kid. Next years first would be more likely but that could possibly be a top 10 aswell, and not sure if at this time of his career he would be worth it. 2/3 years ago and I’d pay it in a heartbeat. So 1st or end of first round compo wouldn’t be enough for u guys if he left?

I love sloane, reckon he’s a gun. Still think we are a few pieces of the puzzle away from a premiership but you never know. Yeah we have a 1st this year but I would imagine it’ll be somewhere in the top 10. With this draft being a super draft and the potential to get a mid who could be at the club for 10 plus years I would sincerely hope that they back themselves in to pick a kid. Next years first would be more likely but that could possibly be a top 10 aswell, and not sure if at this time of his career he would be worth it. 2/3 years ago and I’d pay it in a heartbeat. So 1st or end of first round compo wouldn’t be enough for u guys if he left?
You know we would be greedy..always wanting more, but I think an end of 1st round might not be quite enough. I have floated the idea that the crows might be prepared to bundle up sloane with a pick to get a higher pick. It might be if the hawks pick is say between 8 and 10 (assuming they don't make finals although I think they might sneak in) the crows are prepared to offer up sloane + one of the Melbourne 1st rounder or their own 1st rounder for your 1st round pick this year and maybe a player or 2nd round draft pick. Now that might be a bit out of left field, but it might go something along those lines give or take - if sloane decides to leave

You know we would be greedy..always wanting more, but I think an end of 1st round might not be quite enough. I have floated the idea that the crows might be prepared to bundle up sloane with a pick to get a higher pick. It might be if the hawks pick is say between 8 and 10 (assuming they don't make finals although I think they might sneak in) the crows are prepared to offer up sloane + one of the Melbourne 1st rounder or their own 1st rounder for your 1st round pick this year and maybe a player or 2nd round draft pick. Now that might be a bit out of left field, but it might go something along those lines give or take - if sloane decides to leave
Yeah was just thinking that might be a way around it. I’m sure hawthorn will be trying whatever they can to get out of giving up picks, but ur right when u say we get things done, and it doesn’t really bother us to pay overs. So if he’s definitely leaving we might be ur best option haha

Sloanes a gun, id have him at Port in a heart beat! no doubt about it. But i cant see bottom teams giving up a top 10 pick for him given his age and now injury. and a contending team wont have a pick in the 10s that the crows would want?

Sloanes a gun, id have him at Port in a heart beat! no doubt about it. But i cant see bottom teams giving up a top 10 pick for him given his age and now injury. and a contending team wont have a pick in the 10s that the crows would want?
If he does not net the crows a band 1 compo pick and they force a trade, then I think the trade will not just involve sloane and a club's 1st round pick - there will be other picks involved to get a suitable deal I would think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back