Recommitted Rory Sloane

Remove this Banner Ad

Na, not McClure mate. A bloke we refer to as "the mailman" in our circles. Doesn't engage in repetitive speculation and only states something when he has strong info. If he's ever been wrong, then I can't remember it.

It was surprising to hear AC even raise a question on his future. Do you need to keep him interested? If Hawthorn are going to continue to try and win flags in the short term, and keep AC in the long term, then Sloane is exactly what you need next season. I would assume that Shaun Burgoyne is retiring. Will Rioli still be there? You seem a long way off Richmond, its not going to happen organically in the short term. Sloane would come straight into your midfield for the next 3-4 years. If you make a contract offer that the Crows dont match, you keep your draft picks, and therefore he doesnt cost you your future. If you screw around at $700k, an offer that we are likely to match, then you would end up paying up draft picks. Its really not rocket science. We are talking about finding an extra $600k over 4 years. That is out of $48m.
I would not assume Burgoyne is going to retire, he sounds keen to go around again and Clarko sounds keen to have him stay on. No one knows with Rioli, that is just going to be a wait and see.

You also just agreed with my point.

I think we will offer more $ to get Adelaide the compensation they want because we will not want to trade for him. I am fairly certain that the club would agree that trading out a first round pick for a 28-29 year old is not an option at the moment. We have cap space and i think we will offer that up instead, we do not want to trade away our long term future for the short term. Offering him enough money to get band 1 and keep our draft picks would be the best of both worlds.

Na, not McClure mate. A bloke we refer to as "the mailman" in our circles. Doesn't engage in repetitive speculation and only states something when he has strong info. If he's ever been wrong, then I can't remember it.

Serious? BF poster? Your breaking my heart. To be honest, I heard it on a podcast and its against their interest to make it up. I am seriously worried about it. But I am not going to hang out a player I love to dry and turn on him until its a fact. (I was in the Lever is staying camp almost until the end though). I certainly dont buy McCLure's reason for it, but that is for others to argue about, I have no inside knowledge to be arguing a case here.

I would not assume Burgoyne is going to retire, he sounds keen to go around again and Clarko sounds keen to have him stay on. No one knows with Rioli, that is just going to be a wait and see.

I think we will offer more $ to get Adelaide the compensation they want because we will not want to trade for him. I am fairly certain that the club would agree that trading out a first round pick for a 28-29 year old is not an option at the moment. We have cap space and i think we will offer that up instead, we do not want to trade away our long term future for the short term. Offering him enough money to get band 1 and keep our draft picks would be the best of both worlds.

No I think you agreed with my point lol ;) That is what I was arguing earlier. That Hawks will pay through salary cap and not draft picks :)

Serious? BF poster? Your breaking my heart. To be honest, I heard it on a podcast and its against their interest to make it up. I am seriously worried about it. But I am not going to hang out a player I love to dry and turn on him until its a fact. (I was in the Lever is staying camp almost until the end though). I certainly dont buy McCLure's reason for it, but that is for others to argue about, I have no inside knowledge to be arguing a case here.

Life will go on. Fate has picked the right time and season for all this to happen.

As for McClure, I take no notice of him at all.

The way this season is going I'd take that

If Rory comes back after the bye in decent form and showing no signs of a reoccurrence of the injury, we are every chance of band 1.
If not, band 2 will be the best we can hope for.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Spot on imo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did the same with Vickery, gave him enough money to get a band higher (probably 5 bands) that he should have been so we could keep a draft pick

A starting midfield of Mitchell, O’Meara, Sloane and Shiels would be pretty handy. Just needs another A grade mid around the 23-25 age and we’ll be cooking with gas for the next few years.

I heard somewhere that he wanted a 5 year contract which would see him out 34 years old.

I'd be amazed if that happened.

I'd actually be disappointed if we didn't offer him a 5 year deal (pending fitness assessment) if that was what it was going to take to get him across.

He would actually be only 33yo at the end of that 5th year, and that's generally no big deal, as so many are still playing very good footy at that age and beyond these days.

We are also in a position where we could pay him as much as $2mil (of his $4.5-$5mil contract) in the first year, then say a mil in the 2nd and by year 5 he could be on less than $500K.

He would make our midfield way better and less one dimension (and free Steven up from his tags) and immediately add the leadership we've lacked this year.

Unless he ended up being a complete injury-bust, we'd have very little to lose and much to gain by doing this.

I'd actually be disappointed if we didn't offer him a 5 year deal (pending fitness assessment) if that was what it was going to take to get him across.

He would actually be only 33yo at the end of that 5th year, and that's generally no big deal, as so many are still playing very good footy at that age and beyond these days.

We are also in a position where we could pay him as much as $2mil (of his $4.5-$5mil contract) in the first year, then say a mil in the 2nd and by year 5 he could be on less than $500K.

He would make our midfield way better and less one dimension (and free Steven up from his tags) and immediately add the leadership we've lacked this year.

Unless he ended up being a complete injury-bust, we'd have very little to lose and much to gain by doing this.

That's just crazy stuff. I can't take it seriously.

That's just crazy stuff. I can't take it seriously.
We've been front-ending contracts for years and as such we'll probably need to bring someone in on good coin just to help us meet the minimum salary cap requirements, let alone to help us get to the 105% of the cap we can pay in 2019 and 2020, so what would we have to lose by doing that?

We've got to pay someone our cap money, and the way we're going we won't attract anyone of note through a trade or FA over the next two years if we just play it safe and make everyone conservative offers.

If a club with a $10 mill debt pays a rising 29 year old A-/B+ player with injury issues, an $8 million dollar x 5 year contract, then the AFL should just step in and take your licence off you, and wind up the club.

Your proposal is really that absurd.

FWIW.....I dont think Sloane is worth more than 700K......not at his age.
I heard somewhere that he wanted a 5 year contract which would see him out 34 years old.
Even if it is a 4 year deal.....is he still worth 700K in 4 or even 5 years time......possibly not.
So 4 years at 2.8mil or 5 at 3.5mil.......suggest that is it borderline band 1/band 2 compo......??
The length of the contract might tip it over to band 1....?
Um, no, it would see him until he's 33. He wouldn't turn 34 until the season after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back