News Ross, Jones, Golds, Greaves and Reeves all re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

You think Graham Wright is this much of an amateur?

It’s not about Wrighty being an amateur.. I’m merely pointing out that I don’t think Ned would be on the list without his old man being CEO. Others may think differently but there’s politics at all footy clubs/sporting organisations, doesn’t have anything to do with GW’s professionalism.

Have to say that from what I have seen on the Box hill televised games I am pretty happy for all of hear kids to get another year.
They all have potential & another preseason will do wonders for the likes of Jones & Greaves in particular.

Ross was an easy extension, Jones the same with some continuity, Golds has shown enough to suggest that if his body can catch up he could be a player, Reeves is well... very tall. One more year to see if there is a baller there.

Greaves is the one for me out of the bunch. He hasn’t had big numbers but he just looks like a player with time. I think he is a classic 2-3 year project that will reap big rewards.
Get him bigger & fitter & I think he could be a good HBF/wing option.

He does look to get to the right spots but probably doesn’t demand the ball enough bit when he does he has a pretty nice kick.

Would have liked to seen Jones promoted to the senior list.

It’s not about Wrighty being an amateur.. I’m merely pointing out that I don’t think Ned would be on the list without his old man being CEO. Others may think differently but there’s politics at all footy clubs/sporting organisations, doesn’t have anything to do with GW’s professionalism.
But that’s what your suggesting.

It would mean that GW would allow nepotism on his watch.

Reeves at 208cm is clearly a project player that the club thought they could take a punt on and develop into a player.

That injury killed his chance. Never a good thing, it will give him time to work on his non-contested game. Jones just needs to hang onto the ball a touch longer and get more hurt with the footy.

Ned was always going to get extended. Four months is too short a time to spend on anyone's list and he is clearly not a stop-gap type. I sort of agree about his dad's influence. Certainly would have raised his profile, how much is anyone's guess.

Maybe he’ll do a Timmy O! Shoulder issues have plagued his career unfortunately and he always seems to have a set back just as he is gaining some confidence. I reckon it was 2 years ago he strung 6-7 decent games together and I thought he’d go alright but hasn’t been anywhere near that level since.
On his last chance next year I’m sure.

I've been saying for a long time that he needs to be given a go up forward. Like I've said previously, there are a lot of similiarities between him and Shoey, both of whom played predominantly up forward in their junior footy and were drafted as forwards, but spent the majority of their time at Hawthorn trying to be a defender. Luckily for Shoey we gave up before it was completely too late and swung him forward culminating in him becoming a Premiership player in 2015. Who would of thought!

Not saying it's guarenteed the same will happen for Brand but it's about time we did something different with this kid.

But that’s what your suggesting.

It would mean that GW would allow nepotism on his watch.

Reeves at 208cm is clearly a project player that the club thought they could take a punt on and develop into a player.

If Justin was still at Geelong I doubt we would have him on our list, that’s just my opinion.. I could be wrong, GW
may see something that no other recruiter in the land can see..

Ned st SKOB last year was completely ineffective for majority of games, so much so I don’t even think he got a call up to BHH.. someone with more knowledge may be able to shed some light, but I think Ned May have even played 2s at SKOB? Either way, I don’t see a AFL level footballer there. Modern day ruckman need to be able to go forward, gain possession and have some sort of athletic profile, Ned’s never had any of that. Let’s see where he is at in 4-5 years, but I dare say if we can’t get Pitt (who was an elite under ager) to the required level then I highly doubt Ned will get there.

Same.
I thought he looked like a player last year but he just didn’t get a good run I suppose. In all honesty he probably needs another 5Kg on him to have a greater impact to reflect his playing style.

I am not as bullish about some of the players at Box Hill. Its a big transition some will make it others will be found out as VFL players.
Its a wait and see its going to be an interesting pre season. Players like Ross and Walker need to up their fitness levels if they are to have any chance

There’s plenty of ruckman his age who are more talented... do you genuinely feel if his old man wasn’t running the club he’d be on the list? Gotta be taking the micky

What ever happened to backing the club to develop him into a senior player over a couple of years. He hasn’t even done an AFL pre-season.

He’s got time and not costing us anything. He obviously has some attributes the club likes. Let’s see what Monkey can do with him over the next couple of years while he completes his Hawthorn apprenticeship

I am not as bullish about some of the players at Box Hill. Its a big transition some will make it others will be found out as VFL players.
Its a wait and see its going to be an interesting pre season. Players like Ross and Walker need to up their fitness levels if they are to have any chance

Meadows was our best yesterday.. Our listed players copped an absolute smacking yesterday.

Probably the first time i've agreed with you Tige. They were really awful and disappointing.

You’ll get used to it... come to the dark side mate lol..

What happened to Ollie? Started so well then was mia after half time.

Really should be beating Werribee with 13 listed players.

You’ll get used to it... come to the dark side mate lol..

What happened to Ollie? Started so well then was mia after half time.

Really should be beating Werribee with 13 listed players.
The conditions after half time don't suit Oli

The rest of them looked like they couldn't wait for their seasons to be over. Only Mirra was keeping the margin from blowing out even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kosi, Ollie, CJ and Fede showed some tricks, but that was in the first half. I didn’t see the second half.

They should all improve over the summer.

We’ll be stuffed if Mira pulls the pin on box hill.

Kosi, Ollie, CJ and Fede showed some tricks, but that was in the first half. I didn’t see the second half.

They should all improve over the summer.

We’ll be stuffed if Mira pulls the pin on box hill.

Kosi impressed, his athleticism has improved 10 fold.

I've been saying for a long time that he needs to be given a go up forward. Like I've said previously, there are a lot of similiarities between him and Shoey, both of whom played predominantly up forward in their junior footy and were drafted as forwards, but spent the majority of their time at Hawthorn trying to be a defender. Luckily for Shoey we gave up before it was completely too late and swung him forward culminating in him becoming a Premiership player in 2015. Who would of thought!

Not saying it's guarenteed the same will happen for Brand but it's about time we did something different with this kid.

I agree. He was tried up forward at BH a few weeks ago. He did well enough but missed a shot at goal late in the game that would probably have won us the game. I hope that wasn't the end of the forward trial...

I don't think Ross will make it but I can see why some do. Good luck to him and I hope he makes it. Reeves will be a terrific basketballer, when the Hawks announce that we will have a basketball team everyone will see why we have him on the list. ;-)

The other three are no-brainers IMHO, Jones showed a lot and Golds/Greaves showed enough for their age as rookies.

I don't think Ross will make it but I can see why some do. Good luck to him and I hope he makes it. Reeves will be a terrific basketballer, when the Hawks announce that we will have a basketball team everyone will see why we have him on the list. ;-)

The other three are no-brainers IMHO, Jones showed a lot and Golds/Greaves showed enough for their age as rookies.
I am in the same boat mate. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong

Brand and Ollie both have a contract for next year

So there's conflicting information about Brand and Hanrahan. The club never announced the length of the contract extension Hanrahan received last year - just the fact he had re-signed with the club. Same with Brand.

I'm aware that some (unofficial) websites that track player contracts have Hanrahan and Brand down as being contracted until the end of 2020, but I'm also aware that articles published on afl.com.au in December 2018 and in August 2019 (both by Marc McGowan) state that Brand and Hanrahan are uncontracted after 2019.

So there's conflicting information about Brand and Hanrahan. The club never announced the length of the contract extension Hanrahan received last year - just the fact he had re-signed with the club. Same with Brand.

I'm aware that some (unofficial) websites that track player contracts have Hanrahan and Brand down as being contracted until the end of 2020, but I'm also aware that articles published on afl.com.au in December 2018 and in August 2019 (both by Marc McGowan) state that Brand and Hanrahan are uncontracted after 2019.

Great clarity, as usual Dixie. Hanrahan seems a required player so you'd expect that he'd be playing for us in 2020. Brand is more debatable, but I think with our limited coverage in his position we'd be keen to retain him too. Albeit as backup rather than our first-selected tall defender.

The emergence of Lewis and, to a lessor extent, O’Brien plus the pending signing off Patton means Brand forward is highly unlikely

I have a feeling he’s either gone or may eek out a 1yr extension with a view to delist next year

The emergence of Lewis and, to a lessor extent, O’Brien plus the pending signing off Patton means Brand forward is highly unlikely

I have a feeling he’s either gone or may eek out a 1yr extension with a view to delist next year

Agreed
We are not in a position to delist Brand. Even if we sign Keath or another KPD, Brand has to stay for now.....even is just for depth until Kosi is ready

Reeves is so far off VFL level it's not even funny. Yet I'm so ok with him being on our list. His raw attributes for a nothing rookie spot are completely worth the risk/reward even if he never makes good at vfl level let alone afl level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back