Ross Lyon 2022

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
Hi everyone, interested in your thoughts.

Seeing Ross on Footy Classified tonight, he said all the right things and to me it suggested he was open to a coaching job in 2022.

What do you think he will be doing in 2022? I have no idea how to do a poll, just your thoughts.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi everyone, interested in your thoughts.

Seeing Ross on Footy Classified tonight, he said all the right things and to me it suggested he was open to a coaching job in 2022.

What do you think he will be doing in 2022? I have no idea how to do a poll, just your thoughts.
Paying off debts.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I know he didn't put much effort into developing youth at St Kilda or Freo, but I do wonder if given the chance he could do it.

Neither of the jobs they spoke about on FC tinning were really the sort that just need that next step to be serious contenders.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd prefer Carlton's list as a base. It's not good currently but has stars to build around.

Weitering, Walsh, McKay are elite prospects in each part of the ground.
Charlie Curnow, Cunningham and Marchbank is a bad run of injury.
Docherty, Cripps, Fisher, Martin, Stocker, De Koning, Petreski-Seton, Kemp, Plowman, Durdin, Setterfield are AFL standard talents worth persisting with. The rest not so much.
They need a midfielder or two, a second tall forward to go with McKay (Curnow??), small forward and a decent small defender.
2021 draft to grab a mid.
Trade second rounder for an experienced small defender and complete the set in 2022.

Durdin McKay Kemp
Martin Curnow Petreski-Seton
Williams ?? Cunningham
De Koning Cripps Walsh
Saad Weitering Stocker
Plowman Marchbank Stocker
Fisher Setterfield ?? ??

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know he didn't put much effort into developing youth at St Kilda or Freo, but I do wonder if given the chance he could do it.

Neither of the jobs they spoke about on FC tinning were really the sort that just need that next step to be serious contenders.
He did exactly what they wanted from him though and got them to their most successful eras in club history.

I also think he did start the Freo rebuild and do about as well as anyone could've done. When you look at Clarkson's job rebuilding the Hawks it now looks no different to Lyon at Freo. Or even compare Longmuir at Freo to Lyon, and there seems to be some positivity with Longmuir and the club, I'm not knocking him, but it's not like much has changed with them.

That said. I think Collingwood need to commit to being out of contention for a while to get more talent in. So he's not a great fit there.

But Carlton have 4 elite players in Cripps, Walsh, Wietering and McKay. And a few more with high level traits in Docherty, Saad, Williams, Martin and if you really squint McGovern and hopefully Curnow. What they lack is typical Ross Lyon players. They really don't have consistent role players outside Ed Curnow.

That's definitely not the same as taking over St Kilda in 2007 but maybe it's not too far off Freo when he took over there? If could find a few Ross Lyon special players - the De Boer's, Crowley's and Dawson's of the world he could fashion a decent side out of Carlton.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Clubs will just ignore the sexual harassment stuff from a few years ago I guess. Resulted in a 6 figure payout so must have been something to it all. Pies or blues desperate to nab him so can ignore all that. Priorities etc.
This payout, any supporting proof of $s paid other than media chatter.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Don't do it!

If you're a club looking for a new coach....steer clear of that guy.

Unless of course you want dire, low scoring, defensive style of football as your brand.

Been to GFs when 16 other clubs are mothballed, so many clubs ..

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Lyon will be approaching 56yo at the time of the 2022 GF, and only two men (Malthouse & Jeans) have won a flag beyond 54. Questionable whether either of these clubs can be ready to contend so soon. Throw in that Lyon will have been out of the system for two years; there are better candidates out there.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
I always laugh “he isn’t a premiership coach”

He has got teams to winning positions multiple times. You play the last 5 minutes of all his grand finals again and he probably is a premiership coach if not a dual premiership coach.

A ball bouncing badly or a successful toe poke apparently the difference between being a great coach or not.

Frankly I don’t care how football games are won as long as you win them. Is he a good fit for the Pies? Not sure

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd prefer Carlton's list as a base. It's not good currently but has stars to build around.

Weitering, Walsh, McKay are elite prospects in each part of the ground.
Charlie Curnow, Cunningham and Marchbank is a bad run of injury.
Docherty, Cripps, Fisher, Martin, Stocker, De Koning, Petreski-Seton, Kemp, Plowman, Durdin, Setterfield are AFL standard talents worth persisting with. The rest not so much.
They need a midfielder or two, a second tall forward to go with McKay (Curnow??), small forward and a decent small defender.
2021 draft to grab a mid.
Trade second rounder for an experienced small defender and complete the set in 2022.

Durdin McKay Kemp
Martin Curnow Petreski-Seton
Williams ?? Cunningham
De Koning Cripps Walsh
Saad Weitering Stocker
Plowman Marchbank Stocker
Fisher Setterfield ?? ??
No doubt Carlton’s list is a better base. But also Pies have had 4 coach’s since 1986, Carlton the same since 2007. 3 of our last coach’s were first timers as well.

I know where I’d take my chances as an upcoming coach.

Docherty, Cripps, Fisher, Martin, Stocker, De Koning, Petreski-Seton, Kemp, Plowman, Durdin, Setterfield are AFL standard talents worth persisting with.
It bemuses me how Cripps has gone from a top ranked elite midfielder to “AFL standard talent worth persisting with”.

Back