Ross Lyon 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how people assume he’s just gonna coach exactly the same way now as he did before.

he tried to open up and attack more with Freo in the last few years, but we had neither the skill nor the targets forward to score.

now, after a refresh & some time in media analyzing the game, plus new rules, I feel like he would be fine.

I don’t think you’d see the same slow defensive style of footy.

there’s no reason why such a good tactician of the game can’t come up with a game plan to suit the modern game. I reckon you will still see defense first, but with a new emphasis on attack.
:thumbsu:
a lot of Freo and St Kilda players still love the bloke. Reckon Pies would be a perfect spot. Already know how to defend, so they can work on ball movement

Carlton have the cattle to kick on, not so sure about the Pies after Pendles & Sidebottom call it a day.

That's what he did for 12 or 13 years. If he could evolve he would have. Basically Clarko's biggest bunny. Always outcoached.

Because the game allowed him to. it was effective, won a lot of games.
He was also coaching at basket case clubs who hadn’t had a lot of success. He took both clubs as far as he could. Albeit lost on the final day a few times.

be keen to see what he can do and change now. I for one, wouldn’t write him off

Carlton have the cattle to kick on, not so sure about the Pies after Pendles & Sidebottom call it a day.

definitely a fair call. I reckon he would do wonders at Carlton.

would completely fix their defensive woes.
but also has the cattle forward to attack and plenty of midfield skill.

The Great Enemy of Football stirs in his coffin......
I have to Admit, Ross Lyon is like a zombie lol
Actually so would I
For the drama

You think he'd work at Collingwood?
Maybe. But I reckon Carlton will suit him if you look at Carltons playing squad: a few good core players and he will get the best of a few role players too.

From a Freo perspective, his last 2-3 years dispelled the myth that he doesn't play kids or can't do a rebuild - however...

...he was on the record several times saying he doesn't coach skills he focuses on effort. That became all too clear in his last 12-18 months, because I suspect we had the lowest skills of any team in the 18. 1.5 seasons later, we're slowly improving but it's going to take another year or so to really get the list up to an acceptable standard skill wise. The good news is that he did oversee (remember he's Ross the Boss so he definitely oversaw) some pretty decent recruiting through the draft - so if JL can up their skill level we'll be alright.

I think he'd do a great job at Carlton. How many times this season have there been match reviews on various media stations that show just how piss poor Carlton's effort is. They've got some great ingredients there, but for some reason putting in that final 10% seems just beyond them. There is no chance in hell that if Lyon got hold of that list you would see the lazy one direction running you see regularly from the team at the moment.

Should go to Carlton. They need a strong personality who will get on with the job regardless of whatever backroom squabbles are going on behind the scenes. If their list is good enough for a finals tilt then it will come sooner rather than later, they are not a team of kids. I don't think the team that took the field last week against what's left of WC would've put in such a meek effort coached by RTB.

The real question is whether Sam Mitchell would rather coach Collingwood in 2022 or stay where he is for the inevitable handover. I'd be surprised to see Mitchell go to Carlton and RTB to the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a Freo perspective, his last 2-3 years dispelled the myth that he doesn't play kids or can't do a rebuild - however...

...he was on the record several times saying he doesn't coach skills he focuses on effort. That became all too clear in his last 12-18 months, because I suspect we had the lowest skills of any team in the 18. 1.5 seasons later, we're slowly improving but it's going to take another year or so to really get the list up to an acceptable standard skill wise. The good news is that he did oversee (remember he's Ross the Boss so he definitely oversaw) some pretty decent recruiting through the draft - so if JL can up their skill level we'll be alright.

I think he'd do a great job at Carlton. How many times this season have there been match reviews on various media stations that show just how piss poor Carlton's effort is. They've got some great ingredients there, but for some reason putting in that final 10% seems just beyond them. There is no chance in hell that if Lyon got hold of that list you would see the lazy one direction running you see regularly from the team at the moment.
they have no ingredients,its a myth,they have 1 A grader,Walsh...McKay has the potential,thats it

As long as he stays away from Collingwood he can go wherever he likes.

If we wanted his defensive brand of football we might as well have kept Buckley.

Nothing but respect for what he did at Freo but.......he shouldn't be let anywhere near another football team. (for many reasons)

Unless in his two year absence he has changed his philosophy completely, the strength of Lyon's style is like Dimma at Richmond, he builds a very strong team ethos with the lesser lights playing their roles. As long as everyone buys in strongly and stick to their roles then there are no problems.

On what I've seen of St Kilda and Freo while he was in charge, I think his style of game has a limited life span to get it done because it's so mentally and physically taxing. St Kilda should have won in '09, they should have had Geelong put away by half time, probably should have won the draw in 2010. I think those 2 years just broke a lot of the players. Same with Freo, they kicked themselves out of it in the first half of 2013.

When your success relies so much on those lesser lights playing their roles and not deviating from the path, even a 5 or 10% drop in their work / adherence to the plan sees it fall apart.

I think he'd work well at either of Carlton or Collingwood. They both have talent, he'd just need to get those foot soldiers on board playing their roles.

Harvey took that team to the second week of the finals 12 months prior coming off a rebuild.
& Ross took them further.

Any potential coach will have their strategies (future & past) analysed before any appointment.
I'd like to hear Ross on the fall off of both the Saints & Freo, a 'no holds barred' explanation.

Chris Scott was mentioned as a possible on Classified. Maybe Leppitsch or Uncrazy Vossy. I'd be looking at Buckley before Lyon for the Carlton job.

Not sure about Clarko for similar reasons to Lyon. Will he still be coaching well enough in two or three years to get an underachiever to the top?
You will be able to watch Dimma deal with a post GF era & compare it with Clarko.

Unless in his two year absence he has changed his philosophy completely, the strength of Lyon's style is like Dimma at Richmond, he builds a very strong team ethos with the lesser lights playing their roles. As long as everyone buys in strongly and stick to their roles then there are no problems.

On what I've seen of St Kilda and Freo while he was in charge, I think his style of game has a limited life span to get it done because it's so mentally and physically taxing. St Kilda should have won in '09, they should have had Geelong put away by half time, probably should have won the draw in 2010. I think those 2 years just broke a lot of the players. Same with Freo, they kicked themselves out of it in the first half of 2013.

When your success relies so much on those lesser lights playing their roles and not deviating from the path, even a 5 or 10% drop in their work / adherence to the plan sees it fall apart.

I think he'd work well at either of Carlton or Collingwood. They both have talent, he'd just need to get those foot soldiers on board playing their roles.

IMO his game style is fundamentally flawed. His teams don't enough goals when the game is on their terms, which means they are always vulnerable when the opposition inevitably gets some momentum.

And his teams are shocking to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back