It's Happening Ross Lyon is Back to Coach St Kilda - Presser Link in OP

Where will Stkilda finish in 2023

• Total voters
Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
First time he's gone to coach a club that's not on the verge of exploding. Think he might do well but a rebuild/refresh of sorts is likely on the cards.
It might not be in the verge of “exploding”, but what’s also true is that we won 11 games from the hardest draw in the comp (including double-ups against both teams who played in the grand final, 3/4 of the prelim teams and 4 of the top 6!) and there won’t be anyone in our 22 who’s likely to drop off in output due to age, while there are a bunch of young/youngish guys at the club who are yet to have their “breakout year” (eg King, Clark, Higgins, Coffield, Sharman, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Paton, Bytel), plus a bunch of others who Ratten failed to get the best out of consistently (eg. Hill, Jones, Billings, Butler), while Gresham, Marshall and Jones have been hit hard by injury/etc in the last two years, so it’s not exactly hard to see how we could improve, if Lyon’s able to extract the best out of more of the group than Ratten did. Which is his bread-and-butter.

And then it’s hard to imagine that we’ll have a worse game-plan than we did under Ratts, so there’s significant scope for improvement there as well.

It may of course be that it will take a year for everyone to get used to the way Ross goes about things and that it will take him time to weed out those who don’t want to do the work, but if things fall into place quickly… well it was only half a season ago that we were in the top 4. And two years ago that we finished 5th.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I don't need to feel better, I'm very happy with Voss, he did a great job this year. You'd have a hard time finding a Blues supporter who disagrees.
Much as I hate Carlton, this is probably an accurate assessment in as much as most Carlton supporters would be happy with the year because they've been such an underperforming club for so many years now; you can't just expect a new coach to come in and sprinkle his magic Leigh Matthews dust and get your team into the preliminary finals. Unless you get an elite coaching set up and instant buy-in, that is. You didn't, but the Pies may have.

Collingwood managed it but I think the Pies' trajectory was weighted more towards the end of the season which always helps, and their strength is more from McCrae plus his assistants rather than the list.

I think least another season is necessary for Voss to bed in his methods and for the players to find the consistency they'll need to attack finals. The Blues were a far more convincing top 8 team that the Saints when both were riding high mid season.

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
I don't need to feel better, I'm very happy with Voss, he did a great job this year. You'd have a hard time finding a Blues supporter who disagrees.

Waiting for the coronation before updating your Username?

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
It might not be in the verge of “exploding”, but what’s also true is that we won 11 games from the hardest draw in the comp (including double-ups against both teams who played in the grand final, 3/4 of the prelim teams and 4 of the top 6!) and there won’t be anyone in our 22 who’s likely to drop off in output due to age, while there are a bunch of young/youngish guys at the club who are yet to have their “breakout year” (eg King, Clark, Higgins, Coffield, Sharman, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Paton, Bytel), plus a bunch of others who Ratten failed to get the best out of consistently (eg. Hill, Jones, Billings, Butler), while Gresham, Marshall and Jones have been hit hard by injury/etc in the last two years, so it’s not exactly hard to see how we could improve, if Lyon’s able to extract the best out of more of the group than Ratten did. Which is his bread-and-butter.

And then it’s hard to imagine that we’ll have a worse game-plan than we did under Ratts, so there’s significant scope for improvement there as well.

It may of course be that it will take a year for everyone to get used to the way Ross goes about things and that it will take him time to weed out those who don’t want to do the work, but if things fall into place quickly… well it was only half a season ago that we were in the top 4. And two years ago that we finished 5th.

Then there is the new coach effect. There is no doubt that having a new coach, you get an extra 10% out of your players for a while.

Ross Lyon is a good coach, his fundamentals of coaching will hold him in good stead.

A lot of criticism of him being out of the game for too long or his game plan won't hold up in modern football. It's all BS. There is no chance that he's been taking no notice of how football is played now and how it has evolved during his time out of coaching. He's well aware of it. He's not going to come back into footy with a game plan that is exactly where he left off.

I don't think he was the perfect coach in his time but he was a very good coach and appeared a better coach than Ratten. But that is there to be proven next year.

What St Kilda are like under Ross Lyon is going to be one of the more interesting points in footy going into next year.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
More like you weren’t good enough to win one. He can’t kick the footy for you. Just like he couldn’t kick it for saints fans in 09 and 10, yet plenty of them blame him for their plights post his departure.
What plight are you talking about? Freo have been on a steady upward trajectory since Ross left.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
What ever they are maturing of course Freo are improving.
Ranked 16th for average career games played last year. Don’t forget that includes David Mundy too.

I follow Freo very closely and I can assure you the overwhelming majority of our maturing youth have been developed under Longmuir.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Who are Lyons assistants? Harvey, Hayes. Goddard has joined as a Development coach. Who else?

Harvey and Hayes are two of my all time favourites. Haven't experienced a lot of success as players though. I'm assuming some of the other assistants have experience in winning flags? Simply to influence a winning culture.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who are Lyons assistants? Harvey, Hayes. Goddard has joined as a Development coach. Who else?

Harvey and Hayes are two of my all time favourites. Haven't experienced a lot of success as players though. I'm assuming some of the other assistants have experience in winning flags? Simply to influence a winning culture.
Enright. Roughead.

Hayes might not have quite achieved the ultimate success during his playing career, but he did play through a period where his team made the preliminary final stage 5 times in 7 years, and the grand final twice (including drawing one, and being just a goal down on the final siren the other year), so that was clearly a team that knew how to get things done, on a consistent basis.

Had they come up against some of the recent grand finalists instead of historically great teams he would almost certainly have at least one flag.

While Harvey played in teams that made the prelims 4 times, finals 8 times, and also played in one GF.

Last edited:

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Enright. Roughead.

Hayes might not have quite achieved the ultimate success during his playing career, but he did play through a period where his team made the preliminary final stage 5 times in 7 years, and the grand final twice (including drawing one, and being just a goal down on the final siren the other year), so that was clearly a team that knew how to get things done, on a consistent basis.

Had they come up against some of the recent grand finalists instead of historically great teams he would almost certainly have at least one flag.

While Harvey played in teams that made the prelims 4 times, finals 8 times, and also played in one GF.
Agreed, that Saints side would have wiped the floor with the recent Tigers team.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Two very astute posters right here, folks!

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:
That Collingwood team of 2010 and 2011 was apparently the best performed team over a season-and-a-half (from the start of 2010 to mid 2011) of all time.

And it was also a very young group, so Eddie’s love affair/obsession with Nathan Buckley probably cost your club another two or more flags, as that team was as well set up for a “dynasty run” as any team this century.

Bucks in his infinite wisdom (AKA narcissism) dismantled it, to build a new one in his image, and we know the rest.

Back