It's Happening Ross Lyon is Back to Coach St Kilda - Presser Link in OP

Where will Stkilda finish in 2023

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, that Saints side would have wiped the floor with the recent Tigers team.
Actually any decent side of eagles of 1991-94, Carlton of 1993-5, north of 1993-2000, Brisbane of 1999-2004, cats of 2007-11 magpies of 2008-2011 or hawks of 2011-17 would belt the tigers of 2017-2020.

People bag out the swans of 2005-6 when they averaged a measly 89 points per game in the regular season.

But looking at all 3 tigers recent flag sides, none of them averaged 100 points a game in attack in the regular season.

How many times did Ross Lyon select Caleb Serong?
Stupid question. Ross Lyon never had that chance.

Ross Lyon was sacked at the end Of 2019.

In that 2019 draft, Freo has planned picks 7, 8 and 9. Pick 8 was Hayden Young, pick 8 was Caleb Serong, pick 9 was Liam Henry.

Again.... Ross Lyon never had that chance LoL

In that 2019 draft, Freo has planned picks 7, 8 and 9. Pick 8 was Hayden Young, pick 8 was Caleb Serong, pick 9 was Liam Henry.

Henry was an academy player so it wasn't a planned pick. Nice haul though.

That was the point, the person you quoted was responding to someone claiming otherwise

Yes I know that's why I asked the question of him.

Perhaps work on your sarcasm detection.

Yes I know that's why I asked the question of him.

Perhaps work on your sarcasm detection.

Just like People saying Saints and Freo would never recover from a post ross lyon era. lol

Took your mob a while to recover from that Ross Lyons finals period of 2008-11. Bad recruiting, trading and drafting on those 2011-14 drafts hurt your mob. Had your team drafted and traded well in 2011-14, Saints would of made finals under Alan Richardson in 2016-7. Saints made and won a final in 2020.

Freo on the other hand.... had that Ross Lyon finals run from 2012-15. Drafted well in those 2016, 2017 and 2019 drafts.

in Ross Lyons final season in 2019, Freo just beat Magpies at the MCG. Had 8 wins and 7 defeats and were in the 8. Dockers had injuries at the worst possible time, only won 1 more game. Ended up with a 9 win and 13 loss record.

So Justin Longmuir becomes Freos coach at the start of 2020. This is his chance to make his mark.

Where's your flag/s?

Where are Lyon's flags from elsewhere?

Where were you when he left?
Didn't win a flag. But he is the only coach in freos 28 year history of getting close to a flag.

Ross Lyon did win a flag In 2005 as an assistant coach.

Freo were 8-7 in 2019 then ended up 9-13 when Ross Lyon was sacked in 2019.

Justin Longmuir took over in 2020, the rebuild was already 75-80% done by the time Ross Lyon was sacked.

Freo made and won finals In 2022.

Didn't win a flag. But he is the only coach in freos 28 year history of getting close to a flag.

Ross Lyon did win a flag In 2005 as an assistant coach.

Freo were 8-7 in 2019 then ended up 9-13 when Ross Lyon was sacked in 2019.

Justin Longmuir took over in 2020, the rebuild was already 75-80% done by the time Ross Lyon was sacked.

Freo made and won finals In 2022.

That's a long way of saying "he didn't win s**t."

I don't think your club sacks him if (they think) the rebuild is already 80% done.

I think, like much of the AFL community at the time, they were of the opinion that he was a "finisher" not a rebuilder. In hindsight it's turned out ok for Longmuir - but I think it's just that, hindsight. No one thought the Dockers were that deep into a rebuild when you were carrying Ballantyne, Bennel and Conca, and when you still had too many players on the wrong side of 30 who were still walk up starts. (Sandilands and Mundy were obviously still walk up starts... but I'm not convinced that's a good thing when they were over 34 and you're trying to rebuild.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a long way of saying "he didn't win s**t."

I don't think your club sacks him if (they think) the rebuild is already 80% done.

I think, like much of the AFL community at the time, they were of the opinion that he was a "finisher" not a rebuilder. In hindsight it's turned out ok for Longmuir - but I think it's just that, hindsight. No one thought the Dockers were that deep into a rebuild when you were carrying Ballantyne, Bennel and Conca, and when you still had too many players on the wrong side of 30 who were still walk up starts. (Sandilands and Mundy were obviously still walk up starts... but I'm not convinced that's a good thing when they were over 34 and you're trying to rebuild.)
Meh.... I won't be surprised if the dockers win a flag in 4-6 years time.

You don't go from bottom 2 to a flag in one season.

Yes Collingwood was bottom 2 in 2021 but they should not of been that bad.

Funny thing is, certain teams rely on a few 30-33 year Olds for a season or 2 to get a finals win or 2 before the next step.

Lookin' at West coast Premiership side of 2006. They made 3 Elim finals in 2002-4. Then grand finals in 2005-6. Which got a 2006 premiership.

Tigers of 2017 had 3 Elim finals in 2013-5 a drop in 2016 then a flag in 2017.

It sounds premature. But I be shocked dockers make 3 Elim finals in 2022-4 then a possible flag in 2025-6.

Meh.... I won't be surprised if the dockers win a flag in 4-6 years time.

You don't go from bottom 2 to a flag in one season.

Yes Collingwood was bottom 2 in 2021 but they should not of been that bad.

Funny thing is, certain teams rely on a few 30-33 year Olds for a season or 2 to get a finals win or 2 before the next step.

Lookin' at West coast Premiership side of 2006. They made 3 Elim finals in 2002-4. Then grand finals in 2005-6. Which got a 2006 premiership.

Tigers of 2017 had 3 Elim finals in 2013-5 a drop in 2016 then a flag in 2017.

It sounds premature. But I be shocked dockers make 3 Elim finals in 2022-4 then a possible flag in 2025-6.

I would be surprised - but only cos it's Freo ;)

I don't disagree with anything you say about Freo's chances going forward. I think they're quite well set up if their young midfield and forward line continues to develop. Brayshaw should've won this year's Brownlow, and he'd be my early pick for next year. I think in the context of other new coaches failing badly, Longmuir sits alongside Macrae as the next generation.

My only contention was that St Kilda embarrassed themselves by reappointing a coach who screwed them over the first time, and his record as a coach isn't good enough to justify the Saints swallowing their pride and bending over for him again.

When I say that I agree with much of the footy community that Lyon is a "finisher" rather than a rebuilder, I don't think that's a negative thing - I would say the same thing about Mick Malthouse, who I think is considered a legendary coach despite not ever really conducting a successful rebuild as we know them in 2022. (We could argue Malthouse's contributions at Collingwood.)

The negative element is that Lyon never finished the job.

I jibe with you about the lack of flags, and I'm not sure they were the 2nd best team in 2013 - but they made the GF and they came up against an all time team. They were really, really close.

We're not disagreeing that Lyon was a good (albeit boring) finisher at 2 different clubs. My contention is that he is not the right coach at the right time for St Kilda - and when you factor in his history with the club, it's embarrassing that they went back to him.

I don't disagree with anything you say about Freo's chances going forward. I think they're quite well set up if their young midfield and forward line continues to develop. Brayshaw should've won this year's Brownlow, and he'd be my early pick for next year. I think in the context of other new coaches failing badly, Longmuir sits alongside Macrae as the next generation.

My only contention was that St Kilda embarrassed themselves by reappointing a coach who screwed them over the first time, and his record as a coach isn't good enough to justify the Saints swallowing their pride and bending over for him again.

When I say that I agree with much of the footy community that Lyon is a "finisher" rather than a rebuilder, I don't think that's a negative thing - I would say the same thing about Mick Malthouse, who I think is considered a legendary coach despite not ever really conducting a successful rebuild as we know them in 2022. (We could argue Malthouse's contributions at Collingwood.)

I jibe with you about the lack of flags, and I'm not sure they were the 2nd best team in 2013 - but they made the GF and they came up against an all time team. They were really, really close.

We're not disagreeing that Lyon was a good (albeit boring) finisher at 2 different clubs. My contention is that he is not the right coach at the right time for St Kilda - and when you factor in his history with the club, it's embarrassing that they went back to him.

How exactly was the club screwed over?
If you want to leave your job , you can, anywhere, except for some of those places i have to fill in surveys about to say we don't source labour or goods from.

If not being transparent with the club when he was planning to leave is a crime, then surely that's a crime when the club is not transparent with coaches as well.

To me it seems that both Lyon and StKilda understand how the world of AFL works.

If anyone was screwing the club , it was the people managing the list, contracts , and salary cap at the time.

How exactly was the club screwed over?
If you want to leave your job , you can, anywhere, except for some of those places i have to fill in surveys about to say we don't source labour or goods from.

If not being transparent with the club when he was planning to leave is a crime, then surely that's a crime when the club is not transparent with coaches as well.

To me it seems that both Lyon and StKilda understand how the world of AFL works.

If anyone was screwing the club , it was the people managing the list, contracts , and salary cap at the time.

I wonder if you thought the same thing when he left...

Nearly fell off my chair at that :D

I'm not sure if i was pissed now.
I think it was mainly that the list was left in pretty ordinary condition with no young kids coming through.

Hopefully the rest of the club is strong enough now that something like that wont happen.

I'm not sure if i was pissed now.
I think it was mainly that the list was left in pretty ordinary condition with no young kids coming through.

Hopefully the rest of the club is strong enough now that something like that wont happen.

I have an eclectic group of friends including a Demon, a Dog and a Tiger. We've all really enjoyed the last 7 seasons! I'd love for the Saint-supporting mate to experience that too.

I kind of dropped off the Eagles after the 2018 Grand Final didn't mean much to me - by that stage I was already invested in Tassie. So with that said, my great hope is that the Saints manage to cross one off before Tassie come in. (I think that's why I was so invested in the Lyon decision and not liking it.)

Well.... Saints appointment of Ross Lyon is one of 2 things...

1. He was one of the best and experienced coach available.

2. It stinks of desperation from the saints board. Saints are sick and tired of finishing 9th to 12th outside of finals. Get Ross Lyon to get an Elim final or 2 and a finals win or 2.

Neagtive element if Ross Lyon didn't get a flag. But he was close.

Was the dockers the 2nd best side in 2013. Nope hawks and cats were. But Freo were lucky cats had an off day in that qualifying final. Swans had Martin Mattner, Kurt Tippett, Adam Goodes, Craig Bolton and Lewis Roberts Thompson all out injured in that 2013 prelim final.

Actually any decent side of eagles of 1991-94, Carlton of 1993-5, north of 1993-2000, Brisbane of 1999-2004, cats of 2007-11 magpies of 2008-2011 or hawks of 2011-17 would belt the tigers of 2017-2020.

People bag out the swans of 2005-6 when they averaged a measly 89 points per game in the regular season.

But looking at all 3 tigers recent flag sides, none of them averaged 100 points a game in attack in the regular season.

Lol go have a rest. You've been in fairyland maybe give us the lottery numbers.The only side you mentioned who we're elite and unstoppable we're the Lions. 3 flags in the space of 5 years and back to back says it all , you herd of the term defence wins you championships I don't care what style my coach plays as long as it delivers flags.

As for Lyon has he changed the fantastic match day coach, but poor development coach

Back