Ross Lyon Most Underrated Coach By General Public?

Ross Underrated by General Public

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
The “boring game plan” gets a tad overplayed. With Freo, yes, but look at the tools he had at his disposal.

Was St Kilda circa 09-10 a “boring” team to watch? Not to my recollection. Far from it in fact.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
The “boring game plan” gets a tad overplayed. With Freo, yes, but look at the tools he had at his disposal.

Was St Kilda circa 09-10 a “boring” team to watch? Not to my recollection. Far from it in fact.

Just had a quick look a the H&A results for both those years and yep, the Saints were regularly getting into triple figure scores. However what I found interesting was the scoring dried up in the finals. Contrast this to 2008 when only one winning finalist scored less than one hundred points (Geelong in the prelim), Geelong winning their prelim with double the score St Kilda did in theirs in 2009 and Collingwood scoring more than 100 points in all of their finals wins in 2020.

I've always been of the opinion that the problem with a defensive game is that a good attacking side only needs 5-10 minutes to score the goals needed to ultimately win the game - it was definitely clear in the 2013 GF.

So why did the Saints score far less in finals compared to both their H&A form and other teams in the finals when the premiers of the time (Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood) didn't?

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Just had a quick look a the H&A results for both those years and yep, the Saints were regularly getting into triple figure scores. However what I found interesting was the scoring dried up in the finals. Contrast this to 2008 when only one winning finalist scored less than one hundred points (Geelong in the prelim), Geelong winning their prelim with double the score St Kilda did in theirs in 2009 and Collingwood scoring more than 100 points in all of their finals wins in 2020.

I've always been of the opinion that the problem with a defensive game is that a good attacking side only needs 5-10 minutes to score the goals needed to ultimately win the game - it was definitely clear in the 2013 GF.

So why did the Saints score far less in finals compared to both their H&A form and other teams in the finals when the premiers of the time (Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood) didn't?
Personally I think aesthetics of game style are better judged in H&A. Regardless of their peers kicking higher scores during finals, I don’t think that earns the Saints the boring label. Let’s not forget they were involved in arguably the most exciting grand final of the past 20 years.

When I think back to that Saints side I think of fast, precise ball movement and an elite forward line that entertained most weeks. You could argue that was more about personnel but one thing I don’t associate them with is boring. Clearly it didn’t bring them ultimate success, but the effectiveness of Lyon’s coaching wouldn’t come under anywhere near the same amount of scrutiny if those coin flip moments had gone their way.