Ross Lyon Most Underrated Coach By General Public?

Ross Underrated by General Public

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is rated about right

What his track record shows that as a coach he will have you playing in finals, and grand finals, but his style might not be conducive to winning one.

He was always beaten at the final hurdle via teams with a more attacking mindset, as opposed to his defensive mindset

The old rule of thumb with Roscoe used to be "12 goals wins", that being, if your side kicks 72 points or more, you generally beat his.

And if you could apply early scoreboard pressure all the better because his dour defensive strategy wasn't built to having his teams play catch up

A very good coach, but I don't think he is underrated at all

What his track record shows that as a coach he will have you playing in finals, and grand finals, but his style might not be conducive to winning one.

He was always beaten at the final hurdle via teams with a more attacking mindset, as opposed to his defensive mindset

The old rule of thumb with Roscoe used to be "12 goals wins", that being, if your side kicks 72 points or more, you generally beat his.

And if you could apply early scoreboard pressure all the better because his dour defensive strategy wasn't built to having his teams play catch up

There's always bit of luck involved in grand finals. Poor kicking cost them in 08; 09 but for a very unlucky bounce they win.

There's always bit of luck involved in grand finals. Poor kicking cost them in 08; 09 but for a very unlucky bounce they win.
Some of the kicking at goal in the 09 GF by St Kilda made me go WTF 🤪
If one of those behinds had gone through and there had been goal line cameras like they have today, the world would look at Ross in a very different light.

Had an ugly but very effective gameplan predicated upon mature bodies playing their roles. Reputation peaked in 2013. Yeah, he was unlucky.

age 40-48 won 2 of every 3 games
age 49+ won 1 of every 3 games

He got the best out of a very limited Freo squad in 2012-2015.

Guys like Matt De Boer, Clancee Pearce, Nick Suban and Tendai Mzungu were never going to win All Australian honours or Brownlow medals

If Lyon thinks he’s above the process or doesn’t want to answer those questions then that indicates to me that the panel has done its job in weeding out the wrong choices.

Nothing else is relevant. If Carlton have finally decided to run a properly run coaching selection process AND Ross doesn't want a bar of it then best that they don't go ahead.

Look at the sides Ross coached teams lost to.
Geelong 2009 - a team that won 3 flags 2007-2011. Inaccuracy cost them
Drew with Collingwood 2010 who finished top of the ladder with a percentage over 140%
Lost by 15 points against a powerhouse of a side in Hawthorn. Fyfe choking probably cost them

On top of that they were unlucky in all of the above games. Things go his way could of easily had a couple of flags for multiple clubs and then considered one of the greatest coaches of the modern era. And I hate the bloke as well

Ross is overrated in my opinion. Did well in the early part of his career as coach but when the AFL tweaked the rules at the end of 2015 ( I think ) he never adapted. Plus, towards the end at Freo, there were many negative stories about about him that started to surface.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how Paul Roos would be rated if Leo Barry didn't take that mark and the Eagles managed a goal in the dying seconds of 05? Nowhere near as highly probably.

People put too much emphasis on final moments in close GF's. A good coach is capable of making that journey to the GF, through a full preseason, winning stacks of H&A games and prelim finals. Let alone multiple times.
I agree that the very top of the line coaches finish off with a premiership. Not many of those around though.

Ross is very flawed but still the best available after Clarko, easily. The Blues totally stuffed it trying to force him through their contrived PR friendly 'process'.

You don’t make 3 grand finals without being an absolute fantastic coach.

Anyone who thinks otherwise simply has zero idea about football.

Very close to winning flag against powerhouse sides. Carlton are crazy for not bringing him in IMO.
Never had to build a team. Grant Thomas built St.Kilda, Lyon took the cream. Mark Harvey did the hard yards at Freo, Lyon took the cream. Until Lyon can do what Clarkson did at Hawthorn (2nd last) and Hardwick did at Richmond (last) perhaps you should question your own knowledge of football.

Never had to build a team. Grant Thomas built St.Kilda, Lyon took the cream. Mark Harvey did the hard yards at Freo, Lyon took the cream. Until Lyon can do what Clarkson did at Hawthorn (2nd last) and Hardwick did at Richmond (last) perhaps you should question your own knowledge of football.

A decade of underachieving built that saints list not Thomas. Thomas was a complete failure and should have had far more success with that team

He has an extremely boring game style but 3 grand finals says he's been slept on. He took two teams that nobody has really ever taken serious to grand finals. I see no reason why he couldn't take a bigger club further

That is a horrible argument because there are so many factors involved and you know it. Which players were burnt out or struggling and Lyon coming in rejuvenated them? Which players wanted out until he turned two sides struggling into two premiership threats? So many more.

Ross Lyon would have been perfect for Carlton. Proven coach with the necessary hard edge.

But I think they've got their eyes on Clarkson. In my view, the Blues lose respect if they sign Clarkson. There is history.

I said as much on the Carlton forum, and Hey Presto! My post got disappeared! Let's see how long the Mods take this time..

St Kilda - sure, any half decent coach would've done ok with that list. But Freo - Harvey had taken Freo nowhere at all. Sandilands, Pav and McPharlin were a decent spine and Fyfe looked like something special but they had won an elimination final in his 4th year then backed it up with 9 wins.

Then the bottom completely fell out at Freo mostly due to poor recruiting and bad injury luck. Ross didn't get the time to finish the rebuild but despite some list management mistakes he had them competitive and pretty much no difference to where they currently sit.

It's hard to blame Lyon for not rebuilding a side when he's never taken over a team in that situation. It's like blaming Clarko for never taking over a middle of the ladder side and getting success with it. Unless you count the mini rebuild that led to 2018 Hawthorn I don't think you can say he's done that.

Ross might also just be best as a guy who comes in when it's time to get serious about winning. There's plenty of handy coaches who can oversee a rebuild and slowly build things up. There's not many who have made 3 grand finals with 2 different teams, both of which had some talent but were also at pretty ordinary clubs historically. If Ross walked in to say Geelong and Sydney there might be a case to dismiss his work more easily than doing it at St Kilda and Freo.

That is a horrible argument because there are so many factors involved and you know it. Which players were burnt out or struggling and Lyon coming in rejuvenated them? Which players wanted out until he turned two sides struggling into two premiership threats? So many more.
You jump to you're own conclusion without understanding the context. The reply was to a post claiming Lyon was "an absolutely fantastic coach... think otherwise and you have zero idea".

The original poster should chose his words better, and those commenting should understand the context.

Ross Lyon is a good coach. Ross Lyon is NOT "an absolutely fantastic coach". End of story.

Back