Ross Lyon Most Underrated Coach By General Public?

Ross Underrated by General Public

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
The “boring game plan” gets a tad overplayed. With Freo, yes, but look at the tools he had at his disposal.

Was St Kilda circa 09-10 a “boring” team to watch? Not to my recollection. Far from it in fact.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
The “boring game plan” gets a tad overplayed. With Freo, yes, but look at the tools he had at his disposal.

Was St Kilda circa 09-10 a “boring” team to watch? Not to my recollection. Far from it in fact.

Just had a quick look a the H&A results for both those years and yep, the Saints were regularly getting into triple figure scores. However what I found interesting was the scoring dried up in the finals. Contrast this to 2008 when only one winning finalist scored less than one hundred points (Geelong in the prelim), Geelong winning their prelim with double the score St Kilda did in theirs in 2009 and Collingwood scoring more than 100 points in all of their finals wins in 2020.

I've always been of the opinion that the problem with a defensive game is that a good attacking side only needs 5-10 minutes to score the goals needed to ultimately win the game - it was definitely clear in the 2013 GF.

So why did the Saints score far less in finals compared to both their H&A form and other teams in the finals when the premiers of the time (Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood) didn't?

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Just had a quick look a the H&A results for both those years and yep, the Saints were regularly getting into triple figure scores. However what I found interesting was the scoring dried up in the finals. Contrast this to 2008 when only one winning finalist scored less than one hundred points (Geelong in the prelim), Geelong winning their prelim with double the score St Kilda did in theirs in 2009 and Collingwood scoring more than 100 points in all of their finals wins in 2020.

I've always been of the opinion that the problem with a defensive game is that a good attacking side only needs 5-10 minutes to score the goals needed to ultimately win the game - it was definitely clear in the 2013 GF.

So why did the Saints score far less in finals compared to both their H&A form and other teams in the finals when the premiers of the time (Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood) didn't?
Personally I think aesthetics of game style are better judged in H&A. Regardless of their peers kicking higher scores during finals, I don’t think that earns the Saints the boring label. Let’s not forget they were involved in arguably the most exciting grand final of the past 20 years.

When I think back to that Saints side I think of fast, precise ball movement and an elite forward line that entertained most weeks. You could argue that was more about personnel but one thing I don’t associate them with is boring. Clearly it didn’t bring them ultimate success, but the effectiveness of Lyon’s coaching wouldn’t come under anywhere near the same amount of scrutiny if those coin flip moments had gone their way.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
One wrong bounce away from a flag? I don't believe i'm saying this, but he would be their best bet for a three-year stint? They don't have the money for Clarkson, he will get Essendon or GWS.
North need an experienced coach, they don't have much of it off the field, so they need to at least get it on the field? They just gave Noble the flick and he was probably their best off-field football person also? He'll get another gig somewhere easily. North have bigger problems than just the coach. Strange press conference.

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Would happily have him at Richmond if Hardwick decided he’d had enough.
He needs to get back into the game soon though. You can’t sit on the bench for too long.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
One wrong bounce away from a flag? I don't believe i'm saying this, but he would be their best bet for a three-year stint? They don't have the money for Clarkson, he will get Essendon or GWS.
North need an experienced coach, they don't have much of it off the field, so they need to at least get it on the field? They just gave Noble the flick and he was probably their best off-field football person also? He'll get another gig somewhere easily. North have bigger problems than just the coach. Strange press conference.
Oh so you have changed your tune all of a sudden? LoL.

I want Ross Lyon back. Don't care which club. Just to pi## off some people lol.

aussierulesrules , StCicatriz , joop and projectv . Come on its time to forgive Rossy. LoL.

He left the saints at the end of 2011. A ten year period in big footy is like almost forever lol.

As a dockers fan I have no animosity towards Ross Lyon lol

So Tony Lockett or Billy Mohr?
330+ games and 6 B&F’s vs 180 games and 2 B&F’s.

Riewoldt had a greater career at the Saints than Lockett sid.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills

aussierulesrules , StCicatriz , joop and projectv . Come on its time to forgive Rossy. LoL.

He left the saints at the end of 2011. A ten year period in big footy is like almost forever lol.

Ross the Boss might be what North needs, they have a very weak administration, they just gave Noble the boot and he had 30 years of footy experience. Lyon does have years of coaching behind him including a couple of Grand Finals, his only problem is fans don't like him, but he does have experience and he's at least here. Paul Roos for example is not. What else could they lose? The next stop is oblivion.
Clarko won't go there, the money will be extravagant and North Melbourne needs players not multi $million dollar coaches, they will find an experienced coach for much less. Lyon, Cameron...maybe even Mark Williams? With Tasmania breathing down their neck and the thought that relocation doesn't hold much interest to the Tassie Government, could we see them become extinct and replaced by a stand-alone Tasmania and still have an 18-team competition?. The North board have their work cut out for themselves and before they hire anyone to step into the bottomless pit, they better put their breakfast order in expeditiously...!

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I rate Ross as a coach but if the north youngsters can’t handle truth bombs from noble they certainly won’t handle RTB.
Ross is best suited to a more established under performing group like giants, port or Essendon.
If he went to north it would end up like pagan at blues.
I think jayme Graham head coach with RTB or choco Williams support would be the best for north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
1657671767402.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

How soon the people forget the Great Enemy of Football,.

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
You'd probably only take him at NM in a Paul Roos at Melbourne like role, to steady the ship and with a clear succession plan in place.
Trouble is unlike Roos, Lyon doesn't have a flag so probably feels he has more to prove than that.

Anything beyond that is sketchy, given his last few years with us. Mind you in Clarko's last couple of years I thought he looked cooked as well.

You'd probably only take him at NM in a Paul Roos at Melbourne like role, to steady the ship and with a clear succession plan in place.
Trouble is unlike Roos, Lyon doesn't have a flag so probably feels he has more to prove than that.

Anything beyond that is sketchy, given his last few years with us. Mind you in Clarko's last couple of years I thought he looked cooked as well.
i don't think him not winning a flag is relevant in that scenario. they're not gonna challenge anyway and it would be given to somebody else. Ross would go in to steady the ship, compete each week and develop and i struggle to think of many coaches who would be a better fit in a succession plan

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
i don't think him not winning a flag is relevant in that scenario. they're not gonna challenge anyway and it would be given to somebody else. Ross would go in to steady the ship, compete each week and develop and i struggle to think of many coaches who would be a better fit in a succession plan
What I meant was I'm not sure Lyon would want to go there in that scenario if his big motivation to coach again was simply the fill out the one thing missing from his CV.

In saying that, he pulled out of the Carlton job and they're up and about now with decent shot in the next few years, so maybe this would be something more his speed after all.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
It's funny that this is being mentioned.

I look back at certain coaches in certain periods.

Look back at the demons from 1981-5. They won like 34 or 35 games when Ron Barassi was coach.

This was after Barassi coached Carlton to flags in the early 1970s and gave North flags in the mid 1970s too.

Barassi didn't have a lot to work with at the demons in the early 1980s. So barrasi played the kids. But those blokes that had debut games under Barassi from 1981-85, played in the demons preliminary final in 1987 and grand final in 1988.

Robert Walls got Carlton to a flag in 1987. Coaches Brisbane from 1991-95.

Similar situation. Robert Walls decided to play the youth. Some of them played in Brisbane premierships from 2001-3.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
330+ games and 6 B&F’s vs 180 games and 2 B&F’s.

Riewoldt had a greater career at the Saints than Lockett sid.
Brownlow?

Please mate, Riewoldt not fit to tie pluggers boots or carry his bags.

I assume you never saw both in the flesh.

Lockett is one of the greatest footballers EVER. Top 2 IMO.

Riewoldt barely makes top 20 forwards in history of the game.

Back