Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Yeti

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Having arbitrary deadlines and KPI's is all well and good but at the end of the day if a 5 year deal gets thrown at Lyon then the ball is in our court to decide earlier than the made up deadline if we want to keep him or not. From everything that we've seen from Lyon between 2012 - 2019 he's absolutely worth an extension and the reason the speculation exists right now in the first place.

Lyon does not bleed purple, he is a business man like all coaches, that's the reason we got him to begin with. If our management is inflexible and he gets a better deal from else where I think he absolutely will walk.
The club will hold him to his contract. Either he see's it out OR he tries to break it and the club refuses to release him.

The Fremantle Football club gain nothing from letting him go a year early.

Lyon also has a lot to lose, does no one remember the absolute s**t show that was Fremantle poaching him from St Kilda?

My lord, if he was to try to do it again he would be lynched. Luckily, unlike St Kilda it seems like FFC know how to write contracts without exit clauses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blue shark

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Simpson is signed up til 2022, a 3 year extension. A similar deal for Ross ie 2022 would be the smart move.
If the Boss wants more then I would let him walk.
If 3 years for Simpson who had only made a GF, finals and before last years finals series, we would be stupid to
offer Ross any longer.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has anyone actually seen the footage of the lunch. I'm pretty sure it was just shown on the new and Peter Bell was sitting at the next table

Spirit Level

Campaigner
Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Cripps is playing in a **** team so he gets all the kudos when he plays well. I'd like to see him in a halfway competitive team before we start selling the farm for him.

There are less good available coaches than there are good players in the competition we could poach.

I'm not seeing a replacement for Lyon who is better than him so why wait to sign him?
Yeah that's a fair point

Just an interesting question

vidwhal

Senior List
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Also remember Carlton love sacking coaches midseason in recent memory ;p
Surely coaching Carlton is less of a sure thing long-term wise compared to his current posting...
If Ross is up for a 5 year no guarantee rebuild, then by all means. But he would be further from a premiership then before. Sure it Would be a miracle if he pulled that off. But he is on big money here anyway. The players love him, the CEO and board back him.
Carlton has that fairytale attached to it, but who would be bold enough to do it?
On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

silverscope

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
I don't doubt that. The part I think is master troll is making the lunch super public when it didn't need to be. I mean, he is perfectly entitled to eat lunch at a restaurant but he'll know he is going to get questioned about it.

Got a better sense of humour than many give him credit for.
What if he did it on the sneak, out of the public view but it somehow leaked or someone saw him in the back having a extremely private lunch with SOS. I think it'd be 10x worse what we have to deal with in the media.

I think he made it public because he didn't want to cause any more rumors. He planned to have lunch with his business partner and old friend before the hall of fame dinner that night. He's answered the questions already and people will move on.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Smartly played by Rosco right there, Freo on the up, nice little excuse to be in Melbourne for a cheeky lunch, nice little excuse to have lunch with his business partner. Perfectly timed little PR shot in the arm for all things Ross.

The Carlton job would have to be bloody attractive, it’s all up side and we all know he likes a good poach! It’s brave to say there’s ZERO chance of that happening again.
Except he's in Melbourne for other things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joao

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
What if he did it on the sneak, out of the public view but it somehow leaked or someone saw him in the back having a extremely private lunch with SOS. I think it'd be 10x worse what we have to deal with in the media.

I think he made it public because he didn't want to cause any more rumors. He planned to have lunch with his business partner and old friend before the hall of fame dinner that night. He's answered the questions already and people will move on.
I agree your second paragraph is a likely explanation.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think future of Ross, Freo and Carlton depends on how freo is going to play in the next 11 games.. If we do not make finals he may not be coaching at both clubs, If we make finals he will be wanted at both clubs. But I am not sure Freo will be able to match carlton for contracting long 4-5 years.... If we are offering only 2-3 years may be better to increase the contract value so that both freo and ross are satisfied?
We are sitting 6-5 now, and most people think we are doing ok. 9th on the ladder = no finals. Making or not making finals won't be the criteria, and I doubt there is one. More likely, the club is happy with where we are at but have a contract, so wait till the end of the season to evaluate.

benfica

All Australian
Aug 5, 2011
woodgreen
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
tottenham
if ross wants to go let him go ......but he is not going to hold the club to ransom the freo footy club need to stand firm and re-access end of year

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Nevermind the talk about Lyon to Carlton as a result of this, what about making a bold play and luring Bolton over here as an assistant?
I’m for that. Bolts is actually a good coach. Give him another chance, think he would be valuable for us

Docker82

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure SOS was seeing if his good mate at freo will have a role available for him in 2020
No thanks.

I could’ve built a decent list at GWS with their picks from reading Phantom Drafts on BigFooty.

And what’s he’s done to Carlton’s list recruiting so many recycled duds is a disgrace.

Top Bottom