List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A perfect example today of how a Ross Lyon coached side keeps the opposition in the game through a poor skill level.

The truth is that he would’ve won the drawn GF if his team was even slightly more skilled. The unlucky bounce of the ball is a cop out. It wouldn’t have come down to that if he had have focused more on skills.

He may well have beaten Geelong and almost certainly the Hawks with us too.

And there we have it. He still hasn’t learned.

Either he changes or we replace him otherwise we won’t be winning no flag.
Nail. Head. You hitting.

You didn't need a sensory deprivation tank to see how the last two minutes would unfold. Lyon can't teach skills, and I am looking forward to another pathetic Lyon conference where he deflects criticism over the skill level of the team.
Brad Hill kicking out on the full. Duman going in trying to spoil like Superman but ended up not even touching the ball. The mistakes/turnovers we did was pathetic. It’s up to the players. Ross was filthy with the skills at times.
So yes he wants better skills. Not having a runner until after goals is a problem and definitely so today

That loss today had zero to do with Rossy Dirty!

Players let’s us and him down

Our skill errors were the main reason we lost. It was so obvious. We dominated the second quarter and most of the third and fourth but continually gave it back to the Saints keeping them in the game.

Chalk it up as another loss where the effort was fine but the skill couldn’t get the job done. Ross coaches effort over skill. I’m blaming Ross.

I mean Brad hill is one of the best kicks in the team, it wasn't Ross' fault he kicked it out the full.
We don't deserve to be in finals. We're a battling team with a s**tload of injuries.
Ross will have preseason and at least 10 games before he gets the chop next year

Perhaps if we had more of a skill focus at training Hilly doesn’t miskick that.

I've actually been encouraged by what he's cobbled together with the players available.
Unfortunately it only confirms one of my main criticisms of him, he doesn't change anything unless he has to, even when team dynamics are flat or dysfunctional.
Dude needs to read some chaos theory or systems theory or something.
Why would he need to change when he has the team he wants healthy and playing well? After that wins and form dictate a lot of things. I don't understand the change for change sake's argument..

Last Round: 3rd youngest side (us) against the 15th youngest side on their home deck. STK fans shouldn't be getting too buoyant about Ratten and their list..

Coupled with the fact that if we had 1 legitimate tall forward playing, Carlisle wouldn't have taken those 4 intercepts in the fourth quarter.

Perhaps if we had more of a skill focus at training Hilly doesn’t miskick that.
Non contested marks, picking apart zones, players with handball or kicks is what is missing.
We look crap because we always kick it to a contest all over the ground.
In my opinion it's the coaching, gameplan that makes our players look worse than what they are.
Starts at Peel and we will never be elite with such doctrine.
Short low passes, leading, gut running to make space at least gives us a chance to hit the garden shed
rather than the barn.

Why would he need to change when he has the team he wants healthy and playing well? After that wins and form dictate a lot of things. I don't understand the change for change sake's argument..

2015 called. They would like their list management strategy back.

Because playing the 'team he wants' are the same old's largely. He backs some players to the death while others basically have no shot unless half the team is injured. It's not totally based on ability either.

Michael Johnson and Zac Dawson would still be getting a game if they could and we'd just fall off the cliff a few years later again anyway. Imagine if Ballas actually got a game on the weekend?

It's not about 'playing the kids' because we do have relatively young team, it's about who he plays when and why.

Last Round: 3rd youngest side (us) against the 15th youngest side on their home deck. STK fans shouldn't be getting too buoyant about Ratten and their list..

Coupled with the fact that if we had 1 legitimate tall forward playing, Carlisle wouldn't have taken those 4 intercepts in the fourth quarter.

Yeah, you're right. Its the first time that a Freo team coached by Ross has had a key back pick off pass after pass after pass going into our forward line due to just roosting it long. Guess we should cut him some slack....

1554363966988_GEB259V20.1-2.jpg

hurnross290418.jpg

:oops:

Lucky it hasn't been happening for years or anything.

Yeah, you're right. Its the first time that a Freo team coached by Ross has had a key back pick off pass after pass after pass going into our forward line due to just roosting it long. Guess we should cut him some slack....

1554363966988_GEB259V20.1-2.jpg

hurnross290418.jpg

:oops:

Lucky it hasn't been happening for years or anything.
They avoided Carlisle for 3 quarters, but please blame Ross again.. Players make the decision to kick it to the wrong place..

I think he could have still taken those marks, the benefit for us would have been having someone to run up as a marking option when we were trying to move the ball forward. With only Sandi and Darcy it was a case of either hope the ball comes to ground or gets spilled over the boundary, either way we are playing for a stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2015 called. They would like their list management strategy back.

Because playing the 'team he wants' are the same old's largely. He backs some players to the death while others basically have no shot unless half the team is injured. It's not totally based on ability either.

Michael Johnson and Zac Dawson would still be getting a game if they could and we'd just fall off the cliff a few years later again anyway. Imagine if Ballas actually got a game on the weekend?

It's not about 'playing the kids' because we do have relatively young team, it's about who he plays when and why.
The past is such a crutch for your arguments. We are playing kids because our list is kids and there are players our that he would prefer to play. If you refuse to believe that our list and game plans have changed then there is nothing that anyone can say to dissuade you. You will just keep rolling out 4 year old bullshit.
Our list management strategy? What's that got to do with our current list? Who said anything about playing Ballas?
There are some absolute shockers in our team at the moment, we don't have alternatives.

They avoided Carlisle for 3 quarters, but please blame Ross again.. Players make the decision to kick it to the wrong place..

No they actually don't and if they do its purely down to poor coaching. They are full times footballers and if they are continually time after time kicking it to the wrong place that is 100% squarely on the coaching staff.

I think he could have still taken those marks, the benefit for us would have been having someone to run up as a marking option when we were trying to move the ball forward. With only Sandi and Darcy it was a case of either hope the ball comes to ground or gets spilled over the boundary, either way we are playing for a stoppage.
Nit-picking. In the end the player's decision to kick it where Carlisle was is the mistake.

How many preseasons does it take to train skills? Would a different coach have trained Carter to hit that kick inboard to Conca?? Or what about the Duman handball that kept the ball in play that resulted in a goal.

In regards to kicking to Carlisle, does fatigue play a factor? Only happened in the last quarter where decision making was poor. Bloody Ross!!

No they actually don't and if they do its purely down to poor coaching. They are full times footballers and if they are continually time after time kicking it to the wrong place that is 100% squarely on the coaching staff.
What about the previous three quarters? I'm not saying that our game plan at full strength doesn't employ that strategy however we were not doing it and all of a sudden players dropped their bundles and panic kicked..
Some of our players lost their composure in that last quarter and it cost us the game. The coach has little to do with the outcome at that point.

How many preseasons does it take to train skills? Would a different coach have trained Carter to hit that kick inboard to Conca?? Or what about the Duman handball that kept the ball in play that resulted in a goal.

In regards to kicking to Carlisle, does fatigue play a factor? Only happened in the last quarter where decision making was poor. Bloody Ross!!
Carter's second game in the AFL and first road game, don't think he needs to be mentioned. In the end though those are decisions and poor ones in some instances. Our kicking for goal in the third quarter was terrible, game should have been over.

You are right, defenders never have a field day against Fremantle. But it's not the coaches fault we kick to the wrong spot year after year after year. I mean how can the coaching staff change that? They can't kick the ball themselves right?

Round 172017Shannon Hurn (1) (West Coast)
Round 62018Shannon Hurn (2) (West Coast)
Lachie Neale (3) (Fremantle)
Round 202018Elliot Yeo (1) (West Coast)
Round 42019Shannon Hurn (3) (West Coast)
Round 162019Brad Sheppard (1) (West Coast)

Unfortunately, with membership dropping, Hill Leaving and no real big signings on the way, Ross is pushing the proverbial up hill.
When he gets the chop next year, the club will be in serious strife, as people don't need to be members to watch a game at Optus.
I think the club is destined for a long stint in the bottom 8

What about the previous three quarters? I'm not saying that our game plan at full strength doesn't employ that strategy however we were not doing it and all of a sudden players dropped their bundles and panic kicked..
Some of our players lost their composure in that last quarter and it cost us the game. The coach has little to do with the outcome at that point.

That is 100% coaching, you know they train situational play right? Losing composure and blindly kicking is a coaching fault plain and simple.

Our kicking for goal in the third quarter was terrible, game should have been over.
This is where I think we gave up our chance to take the game away from St Kilda. We left the door open and then our mistakes let them through.

If Duman, Fyfe, Switta, Conca had scored those then it's a different game. I'm not so sure Duman should handball to Walters running onto his wrong foot though, but you'd back in Walters - except that snap he tried and missed the lot.

That is 100% coaching, you know they train situational play right? Losing composure and blindly kicking is a coaching fault plain and simple.
The coach said after the game that they haven't been able to train that as much as they would like because they are working on training intensity into the young list.

Back