List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And? It’s an open forum. If you don’t like a topic or think they are wrong then you can ignore or discuss as you prefer.

Surely as long as 99% of Lyon talk is in this thread it’s perfectly fine?
I have to agree. It's nice to know this is the thread to avoid if you don't want to continue the Lyon analysis, just like the Politics thread has cleaned up a lot of the others. I like it :thumbsu:

I have to agree. It's nice to know this is the thread to avoid if you don't want to continue the Lyon analysis, just like the Politics thread has cleaned up a lot of the others. I like it :thumbsu:

Totally agree, was getting a bit sick of the training reports thread and others getting filled with the Ross discussions so I hoped that posting in this older thread would bring the discussion back here. Hope it works like you say and we can keep all the Ross discussion here.

And? It’s an open forum. If you don’t like a topic or think they are wrong then you can ignore or discuss as you prefer.

Surely as long as 99% of Lyon talk is in this thread it’s perfectly fine?

I forgot you're one of the tired old Lyon bashers.
A mod with an agenda is not healthy on a forumlike this.

What are your thoughts on Ross coaching at AFL level again? I dont think he will ever be a senior coach again, IMO, but would be a very very good choice for an assistant coach. At a club where the senior coach is a modern coach with empathy, care and compassion - allowing Ross to focus on his strengths as a system-based, defensive minded coach. Ironically after the departure of Neale to Brisbane, I think a Fagan Lyon combo would be pretty amazing for their footy club.

Last edited:
I forgot you're one of the tired old Lyon bashers.
A mod with an agenda is not healthy on a forumlike this.
Lol

A) Not a mod on the Freo board
B) I have never once taken shots at Lyon. I decided that I thought it was time for a change but I have stated how appreciative I was for Lyon several times. I have argued with several people who have said he wasn’t a good coach or ‘bad for Freo’

This is an open forum for people to discuss all things Freo, footy and anything else that they feel like. If you don’t like a topic of conversation you are free to ignore said thread or discuss the topic but I don’t think it’s fair to tell people what they should or shouldn’t discuss

Last edited:
That was tough. Clarke couldn’t fulfil his potential and Griffin (?) I think her an ACL injury that year. Pav definitely wasn’t going to contend by himself.
We were a Hogan or Roughead away from a flag. Forward line in that era never was a threat tbh.
Seeing Zac Clarke buggering his knee was the end of that.
Mitch Clark was such a sliding doors moment.

200cm talented forward nearing his prime, decides to come to us and not a basketcase Melbourne, sits in the forwardline with Pav in 2012... Who knows. Was exaaaaactly what we needed when we were contending.

Things in life are complex.

JLo is a great appointment, but, I don't agree that it was time for Ross to move on, our results were due to the team at hand and not the coach. A coach is captive to a number of things outside of their control. You can only play the team that you are given - be it from recruiters or injury, we do not get to see the raw skills of coach against coach.

Ross was given a dud hand imho, the team lacked 1st round picks (a measure of talent) in the first few years, then in the rebuild they are young saplings that were underweight, understrength and not as competitive as they ultimately will become. Also, key personnel were predominantly injury prone, old or both in our competitive years. We were already strapped of talent because we threw draft picks away in trading for silver bullets (tarrant etc) which was compounded with gws/gold coast having priority access for 3 years (e.g. go and grab a dozen 17 year olds of your choice the year before they are up for draft etc), after that we had a handful of years of good results that in itself give you poor draft picks because it is a weighted draft system, all of which lead to a need to reset the clock and rebuild for the long term.

It is a rare moment when you have a gun side and favourable injuries, such as the 3peat, usually you are one of 17 other clubs that is struggling with a combination of those things that held Fremantle back under Ross's tenure, but the team was hit harder due to the folly of list management and harder from injury, both of which are outside the coaches control.

JLo has a bunch of talents, mostly young and raw, but with a few of them just starting to push into their competitive years, backed up with some old workhorses that are absolute guns that aren't imminently ready for retirement in Fyfe, Walters (and sadly a permanetly broken SHill). Our middle tier, middle footy age players giving some experience and cool heads are all predominately all traded in - that is how bad our list management was, without the Conca's, Colyers etc, JLo would be screwed. Pending how injury plays out, there is enough talent and it is relatively balanced around the field (question mark on our wings, to be seen if we are deficient or if they can perform), it just needs experience, those external things outside of control are currently in JLo's favour (recruitment/injury) that weren't in Ross's, so go get em JLo and bring back some silverware!

I'm shocked to be sitting here....

What Logue is saying is pretty close to exactly what I've been saying for two years about Ross.

Not surprised at all.

Interesting that the two most successful coaches in recent times in the AFL and NBA (Hardwick and Steve Kerr) emphasise playing with joy and playing to your strengths.

Ross's time had passed.

It's also a lot more fun for the spectators. The worst thing about Ross Lyon wasn't that we coughed up a golden opportunity at a premiership, it was that it made us awful to watch, playing attritionball with 9 defenders.

What are your thoughts on Ross coaching at AFL level again? I dont think he will ever be a senior coach again, IMO, but would be a very very good choice for an assistant coach. At a club where the senior coach is a modern coach with empathy, care and compassion - allowing Ross to focus on his strengths as a system-based, defensive minded coach. Ironically after the departure of Neale to Brisbane, I think a Fagan Lyon combo would be pretty amazing for their footy club.

How much will Ross make working in the media? Around $200,000pa is my guess, it could easily be more. Joining a club as an assistant is a lot more work so he'd have to earn a lot more money to make it worth his while.

I don't think Ross will coach again unless a great opportunity presents.

It's also a lot more fun for the spectators. The worst thing about Ross Lyon wasn't that we coughed up a golden opportunity at a premiership, it was that it made us awful to watch, playing attritionball with 9 defenders.
Wrong, it was great to watch when we were steam-rolling teams in 2013. There was a sense of invincibility, knowing we had an iron curtain as a defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross should thank Alcock/Bell for sacking him last year instead of letting him serve out his 2020 contract.

He was paid out in full for the 2020 season, Guess what?? Coaches in 2020 have to take 20% paycuts due to the coronavirus.

Saved himself $200k. Lucky Ross.

How much will Ross make working in the media? Around $200,000pa is my guess, it could easily be more. Joining a club as an assistant is a lot more work so he'd have to earn a lot more money to make it worth his while.

I don't think Ross will coach again unless a great opportunity presents.

He'll be at Sydney in 3 years

Ross should thank Alcock/Bell for sacking him last year instead of letting him serve out his 2020 contract.

He was paid out in full for the 2020 season, Guess what?? Coaches in 2020 have to take 20% paycuts due to the coronavirus.

Saved himself $200k. Lucky Ross.
I think with Lyon still here we would have won that game, largely based on the assumption that there would be greater stability about the team. Win or lose, if that is now the season over, would be very difficult to sack him, and also difficult to extend him.

I think with Lyon still here we would have won that game, largely based on the assumption that there would be greater stability about the team. Win or lose, if that is now the season over, would be very difficult to sack him, and also difficult to extend him.
I agree we would have won that game under Ross, but happy now we have made the decision to see how things go under JLo. There is bound to be a period of adjustment and we just have to stay the course and stop freaking out at every loss or bad performance from a play.

Hopefully we get footy back at some stage later in the year and all out players are medically fir again, I'm just not sure how they can start up again without an intensive block of training - a mini preseason if you like. My guess is if it's likely to get going in June they will allow the players to get together for training from early May, otherwise I see the season being cancelled completely.

Much as I love footy and our team, it is really the least of our issue right now.

I agree we would have won that game under Ross, but happy now we have made the decision to see how things go under JLo. There is bound to be a period of adjustment and we just have to stay the course and stop freaking out at every loss or bad performance from a play.

Hopefully we get footy back at some stage later in the year and all out players are medically fir again, I'm just not sure how they can start up again without an intensive block of training - a mini preseason if you like. My guess is if it's likely to get going in June they will allow the players to get together for training from early May, otherwise I see the season being cancelled completely.

Much as I love footy and our team, it is really the least of our issue right now.
Yes for sure.

The season is in the bin now. In the interim players and others will test positive, and very difficult to see how that could be resolved with any integrity. Depending how the apocalypse progresses, perhaps there could be a mini season later in the year, more for development purposes. Otherwise, limbo here we are.

Back