List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Saints of 2009 were let down by some amazingly stupid brain fades, a host of really poor misses at goal and their continual bombing of the ball inside 50 which Geelong just picked off late in the game.

Yeah they probably were the best team that year but losing to that Geelong team of 2007-2011 is no disgrace. Schneider and Milne missing easy run in goals cost them that day, but no more so than Scarlett's clutch toe poke to Ablett. That game was a 50/50 match and it just didn't fall in their favour. 2010 the Saints had no right getting that close to Collingwood.

Frankly I think Ross gets the best out of his teams, and I think that as our current group matures he'll do the same. We just need to be patient. Carlton and Brisbane have been rebuilding for 5-6 years. We're a year in and doing it better than them.

Yeah they probably were the best team that year but losing to that Geelong team of 2007-2011 is no disgrace. Schneider and Milne missing easy run in goals cost them that day, but no more so than Scarlett's clutch toe poke to Ablett. That game was a 50/50 match and it just didn't fall in their favour. 2010 the Saints had no right getting that close to Collingwood.

Frankly I think Ross gets the best out of his teams, and I think that as our current group matures he'll do the same. We just need to be patient. Carlton and Brisbane have been rebuilding for 5-6 years. We're a year in and doing it better than them.

I think you can only say Carlton have been rebuilding since Bolton's got there and they're coming from much further back than we were. Their list was a rabble in Malthouses last year. They had Kruezer and Murphy and that was it, the rest were/are terrible. And Kruezer couldn't stay out there. So I don't think you can compare their rebuild to ours. I think all things being equal, they're at about the same stage as us which is reflected in our ladder positions.

I tend to disagree, although the Saints top 5-6 players we're really good in 09-10, if you look at the bottom four or five players in their Grand Final appearances they were pretty average. Guys like McQualter, Robert Eddy, Gwilt, Farren Ray.

Describing Robert Eddy as "pretty average" is being far too kind. He was beyond ****. For all the flack you've given Ross' role players (Dawson, Suban etc) you can at least understand what they offered. What Eddy offered I don't think anyone outside of Ross will ever know. Surely one of the worst players ever to step onto a football field.

Surely if he leaves for another club we wouldn't have to pay him out.

If he decides to leave on his own terms than the club wouldn't have to pay him out. Problem is that he will never leave peacefully and will demand a part payment otherwise he will ruin the 2018 season if they force him to stay on.

I tend to disagree, although the Saints top 5-6 players we're really good in 09-10, if you look at the bottom four or five players in their Grand Final appearances they were pretty average. Guys like McQualter, Robert Eddy, Gwilt, Farren Ray. They weren't special. They came up against one of the better sides of the past 20 years in 2009 (although the Saints still should have won), and in 2010 they played out of their skins to almost snatch the win against the Pies who were the best team that season by a long way.

I think our list is tracking well and I'm happy with our season so far. It was a big loss today, but it was against a team I expect to still be playing come the last weekend of the season. We chopped a lot of experience last season and we've recruited shrewdly and managed to double our W/L record from last year.

Every championship team have bad bottom players! If anything it begs to question why didn't he breed youth to replace them if they're that 'bad'?

The pies were a very ordinary team and the saints should have smacked them.

The development of our young players gives me confidence Ross is the right coach, regardless of the big loss.

100% behind him.

Another year settled at Cockburn, another pre season into the youth and I think we will improve next year.

Make the 8 in 2019, and be in it for the flag in 2020. Just need Bond to sign up Tucker and Langdon. Hopefully we do some decent mature age recruiting again, could fast track us. Carrot of the new stadium could get some guys home.

If he decides to leave on his own terms than the club wouldn't have to pay him out. Problem is that he will never leave peacefully and will demand a part payment otherwise he will ruin the 2018 season if they force him to stay on.

So you think he'd trash his reputation to spite Fremantle Football Club? Do you know Ross Lyon personally or this just some opinion you've formed from afar?

And the Pies were a very ordinary team and yet they won the premiership? You really know your footy.

At least he never whinges about umpires, or the roof being open, or a whole bunch of s**t he can't control. He's not perfect guys but he's miles ahead of most of the competition

How was Hardwicks presser today. Almost saying it's impossible to beat Geelong on their home ground. Blamed the wind and the umpires.

So you think he'd trash his reputation to spite Fremantle Football Club? Do you know Ross Lyon personally or this just some opinion you've formed from afar?

And the Pies were a very ordinary team and yet they won the premiership? You really know your footy.
That poster pretty much only ever turns up when the team is going badly.

I imagine he will only leave if he has another coaching job to go to (and he goes under mutual agreement). It wouldn't be a good look for him to walk out on his recent commitment, seemingly made while his eyes were wide open.
If he isn't the right man for our rebuild then Freo will have to cough up. It's their stuff up and their responsibility.

I imagine he will only leave if he has another coaching job to go to (and he goes under mutual agreement). It wouldn't be a good look for him to walk out on his recent commitment, seemingly made while his eyes were wide open.
If he isn't the right man for our rebuild then Freo will have to cough up. It's their stuff up and their responsibility.

Thats a fair call.

The only alternative to that is he may have a 'get out' clause like he had at St Kilda. I still can't see him trashing his reputation though.

If he wanted to go, there would almost certainly be some kind of mutual agreement. If there wasn't and after the way he left St Kilda, his reputation would be shot for all time

Thats a fair call.

The only alternative to that is he may have a 'get out' clause like he had at St Kilda. I still can't see him trashing his reputation though.

If he wanted to go, there would almost certainly be some kind of mutual agreement. If there wasn't and after the way he left St Kilda, his reputation would be shot for all time

He won't leave, the 6pr nannies are just speaking hyperbole

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year has being one of the most 'even' league we have seen due to dilution of the talent pool. Which begs the question have we really improved or the competition isn't as good?

Ross game plan doesn't work, its a fact. Does anybody remember the teams who were 'unlucky'? He had such a talented saints list, its a joke he didn't win a premiership with them.
Haha yep brett peake/ robert eddy/ andrew mcqualter/ ralph clarke/sam gilbert/steven baker were such a talentec core...... geez how did they not beat the 9 all australian containing geeling ill never know

Rebuilds never seem to happen in a linear path. We've had some good wins this year, we've had some very poor stretches of form, we've made mistakes but we've found a few players. We've had one off season in this rebuild. Eight wins after winning four last year is a reasonable result, although not one the club should be content with. Tough decisions need to be made and for me Ross is two years into his first ever rebuild - if it was a completely unproven coach they'd get significantly longer outside of Mark Neeld level shiteness which we certainly haven't been on a consistent basis this year.

We are at least 5 new players (maybe more) and about 50 games of experience as a unit off being able to judge the success of what we are trying to achieve here. At the moment we can only look at whether we're making progress. On days like this it's hard to believe we are but overall the season is an improvement on last year which is probably a pass mark at this stage of a rebuild.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haha yep brett peake/ robert eddy/ andrew mcqualter/ ralph clarke/sam gilbert/steven baker were such a talentec core...... geez how did they not beat the 9 all australian containing geeling ill never know

Who recruited Peake? And he wasn't a bad player.....

Rebuilds never seem to happen in a linear path. We've had some good wins this year, we've had some very poor stretches of form, we've made mistakes but we've found a few players. We've had one off season in this rebuild. Eight wins after winning four last year is a reasonable result, although not one the club should be content with. Tough decisions need to be made and for me Ross is two years into his first ever rebuild - if it was a completely unproven coach they'd get significantly longer outside of Mark Neeld level shiteness which we certainly haven't been on a consistent basis this year.

We are at least 5 new players (maybe more) and about 50 games of experience as a unit off being able to judge the success of what we are trying to achieve here. At the moment we can only look at whether we're making progress. On days like this it's hard to believe we are but overall the season is an improvement on last year which is probably a pass mark at this stage of a rebuild.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
The question you have to ask in a rebuild is 'why would you play players who won't be in your next premiership or who dont serve a specific purpose such as position or leadership?'. You could replace Sutcliffe, Pearce and maybe Suban with virtually anybody on our list and it would be advantageous for the future. Johnson's replacements should be looked at. Give the young leaders a chance to stand up. Sometimes players of lesser skill revel in leadership.
If I were Ross I'd be laying it all on the line with the young players. Ask them what they honestly think is their individual strength and try to play to it, rather than have them play to a dysfunctional game plan.
When Ross goes to GC I'll apply with that plan.

The question you have to ask in a rebuild is 'why would you play players who won't be in your next premiership or who dont serve a specific purpose such as position or leadership?'. You could replace Sutcliffe, Pearce and maybe Suban with virtually anybody on our list and it would be advantageous for the future. Johnson's replacements should be looked at. Give the young leaders a chance to stand up. Sometimes players of lesser skill revel in leadership.
If I were Ross I'd be laying it all on the line with the young players. Ask them what they honestly think is their individual strength and try to play to it, rather than have them play to a dysfunctional game plan.
When Ross goes to GC I'll apply with that plan.
There were 7 first year players in our team today, do we want that to be 11 or 12? If we did we would lose by 100 every week.

There were 7 first year players in our team today, do we want that to be 11 or 12? If we did we would lose by 100 every week.

I think it is 7 first year players for Fremantle, not 7 1st year players.

1st Year players:
Ryan
Logue
Darcy
Cox

1st year playing for Fremantle
McCarthy
Kersten
Hamling
Hill

Maybe guys like Suban are getting a run so that we don't go full Melbourne (09/10) where "playing the youth" was prioritised over teaching young players how to play the game properly.

Back