List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't blame supporters for keeping quiet at Optus. This is a Brisbane Lions supporter celebrating them thumping us a few weeks ago:

This is security, ensuring he is not going to continue to vocally support his team:

If you start making a noise you get the librarian stares from people. It is quite intimidating.

It’s terrifying, also I’ve seen some of those cheer squad folks up close and they have no clue.

I just drink and yell - plus I sit somewhere different every time so I get to piss off a whole new cohort every time.

Might have been a bit of heat in that last post of mine Rion, sorry, wasn't directed at you. I just hate the constant rule changes, people wanting entertainment more than the sport - and a range of other things because I'm becoming a grumpy old man.

Sorry, must dash off, clouds are playing over my lawn and I need to go and shout at them ;)

Nah it's cool everyone has a different perspective on what makes footy great. I'm more a fan of successful passages of play that result in goals. Don't particularly enjoy poor set shot kicking, rolling mauls, congestion or bombing it in long to a congested backline but you've explained pretty well how you do find enjoyment from it. At least around me at the game it all turned it into a bit of a joke because both teams were just that bad at getting a goal that I reckon the goals in the 3rd got the biggest celebration of any this year.

Probably why I quite like basketball but often find soccer a complete bore to watch.

The jury is still well and truly out on Ross' ability to coach good consistently again.

But I'm just going to enjoy yesterday's victory. At least it instills back some much needed confidence in the players.

It was a great game to watch, our players are learning/working/building together and you could see it happening (again this season). On paper Port should have demolished us, but efforts such as that (Banfield, Giro and Ryan's game for example) make our players believe. We actually altered and affected Port's gameplan, thought it was a well coached game by Lyon and really we should have won by at least 4 goals.

Oh, it's a great result for us. Agree with a previous poster that Ross really shows his value in these games where he can genuinely bring down another better team into our game.

I reckon if you polled the rest of the country though you'd find that not many would put this one on a must watch list. I'd much rather be watching a game like NM vs Sydney where you get that genuine contest still but it's got significantly more passages of play that'd you'd deem highlights.

It’s terrifying, also I’ve seen some of those cheer squad folks up close and they have no clue.

I just drink and yell - plus I sit somewhere different every time so I get to piss off a whole new cohort every time.
Haha. There is something therapeutic about screaming with and in a large group of people. I would be in a cheer squad if I lived in the city. All those points. I was yes. Yes. Yeeeesss. Then disappointment. Now I know how women feel. Men are such asses. )))))

This weekend highlights an approach from Ross that I really value and appreciate - a lack of whinging when a loss occurs. He might speak in technical riddles, but he doesn't deflect.

Last night Hardwick had a crack at the umpires (spoiler - kick straight and they win the game), today Hinkley aslo singled out Nyhuis for taking out a key player. It's the easy way out and it looks sh*t, and I'm glad Ross doesn't go down that path.

Considering that we're "unlucky" with the umpires more often than not (especially in big games in 2013 and 2015) it's a credit to Ross that he never goes down that path.

It was a classic Lyon performance today, gets a team to buy in 110% with effort and aggressive defense, win a battle of attrition, get ahead and then throw spare men behind the ball to desperately protect the lead, almost giving it up in the process. No other coach would have gotten that win, but at the same time how awful was it to watch at times?
Not sure that you were really watching that game if you think it was all about defensive effort. Freo won the inside 50 count overall by 58 to 39 after getting smashed 10 to 1 in teh forst 15 minutes. That just can't be about defensive footy entirely as you just don't get that amount of entries if all you want to do is slow the contests down and make it all about stoppages. There has to be offensive intent for that count to stack up.

I think there were actually very few times we played anyone loose behind the ball and really only late in the game after Darcy went down and we had to change our structure to suit. The lack of camparative fitness of a very young side versus an older one also started to show late in the game so it makes absolute sense to have done this when we were starting to run out of legs.

I agree with your comments on the buy in and effort though. It was necessary too after a couple of insipid weeks where there was little to no midfield pressure.

Oh, it's a great result for us. Agree with a previous poster that Ross really shows his value in these games where he can genuinely bring down another better team into our game.

I reckon if you polled the rest of the country though you'd find that not many would put this one on a must watch list. I'd much rather be watching a game like NM vs Sydney where you get that genuine contest still but it's got significantly more passages of play that'd you'd deem highlights.

Games like yesterday are an indicator of where we're at. Get Fyfe, Blakely and Taberner back and another summer for Langdon, Cox, Cerra, etc and w'll be able to play with a bit more panache but until then we'll be trying to grind out a result.

Games like yesterday are an indicator of where we're at. Get Fyfe, Blakely and Taberner back and another summer for Langdon, Cox, Cerra, etc and w'll be able to play with a bit more panache but until then we'll be trying to grind out a result.

A Cox, Taberner, Walters forward line excites me a bit.

I really feel we are 3 players short and I am starting to think McCarthy won't make it.

Not sure that you were really watching that game if you think it was all about defensive effort. Freo won the inside 50 count overall by 58 to 39 after getting smashed 10 to 1 in teh forst 15 minutes. That just can't be about defensive footy entirely as you just don't get that amount of entries if all you want to do is slow the contests down and make it all about stoppages. There has to be offensive intent for that count to stack up.

I think there were actually very few times we played anyone loose behind the ball and really only late in the game after Darcy went down and we had to change our structure to suit. The lack of camparative fitness of a very young side versus an older one also started to show late in the game so it makes absolute sense to have done this when we were starting to run out of legs.

I agree with your comments on the buy in and effort though. It was necessary too after a couple of insipid weeks where there was little to no midfield pressure.

I wasn't watching the game but am saying exactly the same as you, that at the end of the game we put players behind the ball when we were stuffed. FFS

A Cox, Taberner, Walters forward line excites me a bit.

I really feel we are 3 players short and I am starting to think McCarthy won't make it.
If you add McCarthy to that all s a sudden he is getting the third tall defender which I personally think is his preferred position. He will be that link up high half forward with Cox CHF and Taberner the two main talls. Then you add in Walters, Bennell and then have a mid floating through there as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't blame supporters for keeping quiet at Optus. This is a Brisbane Lions supporter celebrating them thumping us a few weeks ago:

This is security, ensuring he is not going to continue to vocally support his team:

s**t like this is why I never go to the footy. Disgusting.

s**t like this is why I never go to the footy. Disgusting.
Probably explains why your footy knowledge is so shithouse.

Never personally seen anything like that in about 200 games at Subi which gives you an indication of how rare incidents like that are.

Probably explains why your footy knowledge is so shithouse.

Never personally seen anything like that in about 200 games at Subi which gives you an indication of how rare incidents like that are.

Oh look, my stalker's still alive

If you add McCarthy to that all s a sudden he is getting the third tall defender which I personally think is his preferred position. He will be that link up high half forward with Cox CHF and Taberner the two main talls. Then you add in Walters, Bennell and then have a mid floating through there as well.

I agree that is his best position, but he really needs a big preseason.

I think it just typified the effort Ross has for his career got out of his teams. We got bullied in the first quarter and should have been down more but that 2nd quarter we completely dominated. Just couldn't work it out in the F50 which is a problem we've had in different patches since he started. Not exactly surprising considering the troops we had out there though.

That totally sucks and is so un Australian.
Maybe the librarians that have the security guards number on speed dial all mashed their phone buttons.

No one other than Freo supporters enjoyed that game.

Love all the numpties hanging around saying "let him go, he's done nothing wrong". Yeah, like *! This is Australia, we don't wrestle people to the ground if they're just minding their own business doing "nothing wrong". *******s.

Love all the numpties hanging around saying "let him go, he's done nothing wrong". Yeah, like ****! This is Australia, we don't wrestle people to the ground if they're just minding their own business doing "nothing wrong". *******s.

Wrestling people to the ground when they don't immediately leave when asked is pretty standard procedure. I'm guessing you don't get out much.

Back