List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross said on channel 7 ,that "have we hit the wall ,maybe" I think he has hit the wall and has been useless for the last 3 years,we should cut our losses. Couldn't get any worse,he is stifling the players enthusiasm and natural ability. His game plan sucks and he knows no other way of coaching and has definitely lost the players, it's obvious that they have had a gutful of this defensive and non-offensive game style and seem to look totally lost out there on the ground.

Got to clean out the assistants and get some quality around him as a last resort for him. If that doesn't work then the problem is clearly him and he should be removed pronto. The trouble is we should've done it this year to give us time before entering into a new agreement with him.

This is a good call, as much as everyone loves to target the head coach we need to look at who we put around him as well. I've spoken to Collingwood fans who think Sanderson has done a lot for them this year, likewise Leppitsch with Richmond and all the assistants at Hawthorn during their premiership years who are now senior coaches. What are Rock, Guerra and Hale really bringing to this team?? Questions need to be asked

This is a good call, as much as everyone loves to target the head coach we need to look at who we put around him as well. I've spoken to Collingwood fans who think Sanderson has done a lot for them this year, likewise Leppitsch with Richmond and all the assistants at Hawthorn during their premiership years who are now senior coaches. What are Rock, Guerra and Hale really bringing to this team?? Questions need to be asked

Guerra has a very minor role. Works more with Peel and the development team. He won 5 flags as a player (2 X AFL, 3 X SANFL) and was heavily involved in Peels 2 flags so I'd keep him.

This is Hales first gig in coaching, I'd give him time. Plus he and Guerra would know the Clarkson method.

Prior and Eastaugh on the other hand have done nothing for a very long time, no success in coaching since Prior coached EP colts to a flag 14 years ago.

Rock has at least had some success but in amateurs and school footy, hardly a great cv.

We have 1 more win for the season, Carlton.

Are you guys going to bitch and moan while genuine finals contenders thrash us for the remaining games?

If I don't see improvement in the game plan, yes.

And, btw, I wouldn't bet on a win against Carlton.

Last edited:
Guerra has a very minor role. Works more with Peel and the development team. He won 5 flags as a player (2 X AFL, 3 X SANFL) and was heavily involved in Peels 2 flags so I'd keep him.

This is Hales first gig in coaching, I'd give him time.

Prior and Eastaugh on the other hand have done nothing for a very long time, no success in coaching since Prior coached EP colts to a flag 14 years ago.

Rock has at least had some success but in amateurs and school footy, hardly a great cv.

Ok, firstly winning flags as a player is almost irrelevant. Plenty of knuckleheads are part of premiership teams.
Prior is one I missed, he has been with us for a long time and he is very anonymous, maybe it's time he was moved on.
Hale has had 2-3 years now? That's enough time. Kirk/Stone had an immediate impact when they joined as new coaches, you could tell from how the players and Lyon spoke of them as well as our midfield performances during that time. Either you make the cut or you don't, there's no place for sympathy here.
Rock just joined recently, but maybe a review is needed now rather than in 2 or 3 years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

having more wins than the previous rebuilding year would be a good start?

If we go even this year, considering the outs and our injury list, # of debutants and players played compared to last year (similar range) then it's definitely an improvement.

This is a fantastic post. Did you think for a second before posting this or was your focus more on articulating such narrow delivery? I think you'd be great friends with Gerard Whateley, are you apart of the Accipitridae family?

Out of everyone in this forum, E Shed happens to do a bit more thinking before his posts than most.

Please enlighten me, what KPIs are you using to measure improvement?

The only KPI's anyone needs are the two I's in their head. All you need to do is watch the game, the absolute drivel of a game plan we serve up, players so unsure of themselves they don't know if their arse points up or down. It's awful football.

This is a fantastic post. Did you think for a second before posting this or was your focus more on articulating such narrow delivery? I think you'd be great friends with Gerard Whateley, are you apart of the Accipitridae family?
You seem very smart.

If you're only looking at wins you're not digging deep enough.

You're also impatient.

We need to average close to 80 points a game to have scored more than last year. The only improvement we’ve shown on last year is that we aren’t losing as many games by +100. Other than that, our gameplan is still non-existent and not only are we a laughing stock when we travel, but we are back to being easybeats at home.

Please enlighten me, what KPIs are you using to measure improvement?

I don't use KPI's, I use my eyes.

We need to hold our structure forward of the ball, tackle more inside F50 and D50, win more clearances, not necessarily win the clearances but win more of them. Move the ball better by hand and foot. Compete harder all over the ground but particularly the hard ball. Become more efficient going inside 50 and be more efficient once inside 50 to 1) not allow it to leave easily 2) get a shot away.

Basically we just have to look like we're progressing. We currently aren't.

If you don't like the feedback and comments (and it's not unique to our supporters) then don't come on here, it's quite simple. Most supporters aren't happy with where we're at or where we're going under the current regime and don't want to accept it. Some of us want success sooner rather than later.

We need to average close to 80 points a game to have scored more than last year. The only improvement we’ve shown on last year is that we aren’t losing as many games by +100. Other than that, our gameplan is still non-existent and not only are we a laughing stock when we travel, but we are back to being easybeats at home.

Unfortunately there's still time.

Dunno, we were in the game against the Bombers for a long time, beat Port the week beforehand.
Clarkson has Ross' measure no doubt, always has, but Ross aint no orphan in that regard.
We need better assistants, and I would throw a truckload of money at Caracella.

Long post, a void if short attention span

Ross can coach, if you can't acknowledge that dont comment on this thread because you have no idea and I can't be bothered pointing out the obvious reasons why we know he can coach. Moving on...

The biggest problem we have is the sunk cost fallacy. Probably the worst part of Ross is his inability to blood more younger players when contending, or, at least in some way preparing for the next list tilt. He left St Kilda in a hole and we were in an almighty hole in 2016. I dont think it can be exaggerated how bad a spot we were in through 2016 with a really old really passed it list that needed a complete turnover. It won't be till the end of this year that we finally get rid of all the deadwood we had in 2016.

Off the bat, you can't compare us as we stand now to Hawks, Roos, Eagles. They still have extremely experienced, mature lists because they a) handled the transition better and b) have the same or have managed to recruit, players (Hawks and Kangas mainly) through their spine.

This transition is the sunk cost since we can't change what happened and can only affect where we are going. You have to compare our list to others in similar positions being WB, Carlton, GC and Brisbane who are the other teams whose lists were/are being gutted and restarting. St Kilda are in a massive hole since they are s**t and quite mature and Melbourne are two years ahead of us in the rebuild. We are comfortably ahead of all bar Brisbane who have been in the s**t for 15 years and look the goods.

So for me, I see us ahead of all other sides that have an age profile the same as ours and with exciting young talent that are mostly improving on a rolling average (week to week comparisons are stupid obviously).

I then see clubs that were s**t for decades while getting shiney and exciting new coaches and clubs that stuck fat with their coaches being rewarded in Richmond and Collingwood (hell a lot of Eagles supporters wanted to see the back of Simpson) and wonder why we would get rid of a guy who is managing a total list overhaul better all bar Fagan (this would have been debatable before the bye so a month is a long time in football), has taken two teams to a GF and wonder why we would change coaches.

I also think we've improved on last year and have tweaked the gameplan which is why we have had some games where we scored really well and everything clicked but I can understand if people disagree here

Dunno, we were in the game against the Bombers for a long time, beat Port the week beforehand.
Clarkson has Ross' measure no doubt, always has, but Ross aint no orphan in that regard.
We need better assistants, and I would throw a truckload of money at Caracella.

We were only in the Bombers game because they couldn’t kick. Should have lost that by 100.

We won’t be getting a good assistant anytime soon. It’s no real surprise that we’ve never really had any great assistants working under Ross, so unless it comes with a guarantee that they’ll take over the role as soon as Lyon is let go, then it’s not happening.

Back