List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As posted previously.
These are Freo's membership numbers including the year prior to Lyon in 2011 to 2019;
43,975 2011
42,918 2012
44,480 2013
48,776 2014
51,443 2015
51,889 2016
51,254 2017
55,639 2018
51,431 2019
As can be seen, Freo's memberships are currently about the same as they were in 2015 when we won the minor premiership.
Given our lack of success since then, that's a pretty good result.
There appears to have been a 4k spike with the move to the Perth Stadium, followed by a similar 4k drop a year after that. Again, nothing much to see here and nothing that indicates it was due to Ross Lyon.

As posted previously.
These are Freo's membership numbers including the year prior to Lyon in 2011 to 2019;
43,975 2011
42,918 2012
44,480 2013
48,776 2014
51,443 2015
51,889 2016
51,254 2017
55,639 2018
51,431 2019
As can be seen, Freo's memberships are currently about the same as they were in 2015 when we won the minor premiership.
There appears to have been a 4k spike with the move to the Perth Stadium, followed by a similar 4k drop a year after that. Again, nothing much to see here and nothing that indicates it was due to Ross Lyon.
If I was a Business Manager at Freo my interest in memberships in 2011 would be didly-squat. My primary concern would be 2020, 2021, 2022 etc etc

(2018) 55, 639 - (2019) 51, 431 = 4208
+ expected fall from 2019/2020 = 7000+

It's not rocket science.

If I was a Business Manager at Freo my interest in memberships in 2011 would be didly-squat. My primary concern would be 2020, 2021, 2022 etc etc

(2018) 55, 639 - (2019) 51, 431 = 4208
+ expected fall from 2019/2020 = 7000+

It's not rocket science.

Correct, it's not rocket science ... it's just your biased guess.

You can support the club how the **ck you want but 2020 is going to have Lyon coaching Freo.
If we have a good 2020 and with the improvement shown and the injured back playing it's certainly on the cards that Lyon could coach on beyond 2020.
That doesn't make the future all that bright and sunny for those who want him gone.;)

You do this regularly. You think you can dictate what is supporting the club and what is not. Suggesting that I am not behind the club.

You better get used to it and who knows you might even join the majority of supporters who accept the fact and have got behind the club.

On a message board with clearly passionate supporters doing that is the lowest of the low. It's a gutless sniper move and it's your number one card when things get a bit tight for you.

As posted previously.
43,975 2011
42,918 2012
44,480 2013
48,776 2014
51,443 2015
51,889 2016
51,254 2017
55,639 2018
51,431 2019

You're right .There was a spike associated with the move to a new stadium. The fact we lost all those memberships the following year is not a great result.

The 2015 figures are largely irrelevant as we are in a new stadium and the team would have clearly forecast for an increase on Subi Oval days.

As the old saying goes. If you're staying the same, you're going backwards.

Last edited:
There is no 7000 member drop!
You have made that number up.
You have a bias against Ross Lyon.
Stating that a fall in membership is bad for a coach doesn't indicate a bias against the coach.

That would be like saying that because there's a fall in Sanitarium sales I have a bias against Weetbix.

You do this regularly. You think you can dictate what is supporting the club and what is not. Suggesting that I am not behind the club.

On a message board with clearly passionate supporters doing that is the lowest of the low. It's a gutless sniper move and it's your number one card when things get a bit tight for you.

You make up so much **it.
Me thinks you protest to much.
Are you really behind the club or is your interest only in getting rid of Lyon.

And don't tell me how to post on here.
If you don't like it use the ignore button.

Stating that a fall in membership is bad for a coach doesn't indicate a bias against the coach.

That would be like saying that because there's a fall in Sanitarium sales I have a bias against Weetbix.

You've been on this thread belting out criticism about Lyon for countless posts.
If you were on a thread about Weetbix doing similar, I would also say your posts show evidence of a bias against Weetbix.

You have posted no evidence that the membership drop was due to Lyon.
You have posted no evidence that there was or will be a 7000 membership drop.
(There was however, a 4k drop, the year after a 4k rise).
Your posts do show evidence of a bias against Lyon.

You've been on this thread belting out criticism about Lyon for countless posts.
If you were on a thread about Weetbix doing similar, I would also say your posts show evidence of a bias against Weetbix.

You have posted no evidence that the membership drop was due to Lyon.
You have posted no evidence that there was or will be a 7000 membership drop.
(There was however, a 4k drop, the year after a 4k rise).
Your posts do show evidence of a bias against Lyon.
If you can't see membership in free-fall as a problem for Ross I think we're done here.

You make up so much **it.
Me thinks you protest to much.
Are you really behind the club or is your interest only in getting rid of Lyon.

And don't tell me how to post on here.
If you don't like it use the ignore button.

So you go further down the the "you must not a supporter" slide to 'prove' your point. I'll continue to challenge you're assertions on the supporting styles of others. I ain't going anywhere.

I believe there are a good many things that need changing/improving about our club. In no particular order and not a complete list:
  1. Our assistants
  2. Our S&D team
  3. Our scouting and drafting of WA youngsters
  4. Our interactions with the media and how we control (or have lack of control) of our messaging
  5. Rosich
  6. Ross (or for Ross to change in enough ways that the same mistakes don't keep happening)
It's clearly not all Ross' fault and sacking Ross won't fix the world but he continues to make questionable decisions and I'll continue to have an opinion on them.

Your call if you are offended by this and have to go all faux tough guy/top follower to prove something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right .There was a spike associated with the move to a new stadium. The fact we lost all those memberships the following year is not a great result.

The 2015 figures are largely irrelevant as we are in a new stadium and the team would have clearly forecast for an increase on Subi Oval days.

As the old saying goes. If you're staying the same, you're going backwards.

Who knows why those numbers went up in 2018 and down in 2019?
My guess, and it is just a guess, is that people wanted to lock in best available members seats for the new stadium.
But when they went there in 2018, they found people could pay general admission and get reasonable seats without the membership costs.
So with Freo not being that successful, why bother renewing their memberships in 2019.
I suspect the more hardened Freo supporters would not be part of that 4k increase and 4k decrease.
How is it logical to think that there was a 4k increase in members in 2018, who liked the idea of a Freo membership (for whatever reason) after two poor seasons, only to find they didn't like Lyon's game plan in 2018 so dropped their memberships. That simply is not a logical interpretation. And to then take that logic a step further to say that it is expected to become 7k members who gave up their memberships because of Lyon is simply ridiculous.

What those membership numbers do indicate is that when Freo are successful, the memberships go up.
When we are not successful, the memberships don't.
If you choose to interpret them in a blame/credit to Lyon, then you should at least acknowledge that there has been a nett increase in memberships since Lyon has been coaching Fremantle.

Who knows why those numbers went up in 2018 and down in 2019?
My guess, and it is just a guess, is that people wanted to lock in best available members seats for the new stadium.
But when they went there in 2018, they found people could pay general admission and get reasonable seats without the membership costs.
So with Freo not being that successful, why bother renewing their memberships in 2019.
I suspect the more hardened Freo supporters would not be part of that 4k increase and 4k decrease.
How is it logical to think that there was a 4k increase in members in 2018, who liked the idea of a Freo membership (for whatever reason) after two poor seasons, only to find they didn't like Lyon's game plan in 2018 so dropped their memberships. That simply is not a logical interpretation. And to then take that logic a step further to say that it is expected to become 7k members who gave up their memberships because of Lyon is simply ridiculous.

What those membership numbers do indicate is that when Freo are successful, the memberships go up.
When we are not successful, the memberships don't.
If you choose to interpret them in a blame/credit to Lyon, then you should at least acknowledge that there has been a nett increase in memberships since Lyon has been coaching Fremantle.

I was just pointing out that you were citing 2015 figures as evidence that we were going ok in this area. I was just stating that I don't think that the 2015 figure proved anything.

It's not outlandish though that we would have been hoping for an increase in membership numbers with the new stadium.

As you said, better team results = higher member numbers so you could say:

Membership numbers are related to team results are related to performance on the field is related to quality of the coach

Not all Ross but just can't say it's not related to Ross either.

So you go further down the the "you must not a supporter" slide to 'prove' your point. I'll continue to challenge you're assertions on the supporting styles of others. I ain't going anywhere.

I believe there are a good many things that need changing/improving about our club. In no particular order and not a complete list:
  1. Our assistants
  2. Our S&D team
  3. Our scouting and drafting of WA youngsters
  4. Our interactions with the media and how we control (or have lack of control) of our messaging
  5. Rosich
  6. Ross (or for Ross to change in enough ways that the same mistakes don't keep happening)
It's clearly not all Ross' fault and sacking Ross won't fix the world but he continues to make questionable decisions and I'll continue to have an opinion on them.

Your call if you are offended by this and have to go all faux tough guy/top follower to prove something.
Don’t feed the troll. Report him and move on.

Did you say it isn't? You are using other teams faults to excuse our own.
Every team would prefer a turnover 45m up the ground than a free kick against or a turnover where they are.

Every team. When we have our contested marking talls in the team it looks a lot better.

Every team would prefer a turnover 45m up the ground than a free kick against or a turnover where they are.

Every team. When we have our contested marking talls in the team it looks a lot better.

Team with best 22 looks better than team with injuries, shocking. Kick long and hope for a contested mark is not the way I see the club succeeding, you do so I guess that makes sense why you are all over keeping Ross long term.

Back