• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've got way too much confidence in Bell that he would even consider appointing Sumich, I'm sure they will interview him though to keep the media at bay.

when will you people get it into your head that Bell looks after No.1. He always has.

He will appoint Sumich if it suits his own career and plans. The club results are irrelevant to him.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gerard Whatley on SEN said on commentary that it had an air of the board “taking its club back” and that it “did not want to be Ross Lyon’s Fremantle anymore.”

I’m confused because while I do understand that it’s not right to have one man holding that much sway and power, at the moment we seem to be putting the future and direction of the club into Bell’s hands.

its ridiculous isn't it.

They literally sacked him because they were worried we'd be back in the finals next year.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have you forgotten the 2 weeks since geelong?
Lyon also made our side uncompetitive against the s**test teams

Even if we did make finals this year and then improved again next year, the board would not of continued his contract. So why waste another year ?

and if we made the finals why exactly would you not be extending his contract?

He has rebuilt the team, turned over the most players in the AFL since 2015, and we were very well positioned to make the finals this year until we got injuries. Next year was shaping up very nicely.

People talk like Brisbane is the blue print. The team who spent 5 years at the bottom and now have swung up.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only players that seem to be happy about Ross leaving are the slackers i.e. Kersten . The ones that give great effort are not so pleased. TBH he is more popular with the players than i was led to believe by the Hardies and Hagdorns of this world.
Haha, good one :)

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Ultimately you want a flag. I’m not sure Lyon’s method can deliver a flag, we might make finals next year with him in charge. Maybe a prelim 2021. But I’m not sure he had the method to get a flag. That’s why I think they sacked him. The upswing is coming, but the flag maybe isn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
so why are we sacking a coach who has the full support of the players?

Good question. Perhaps Lyon did not have full support of all the players. Fyfe, Walters and Brayshaw are not all the players.

Losing Neale had a lot to do with it, I think, along with any other players we are likely to lose. That shows that something is not right internally.
Perhaps players from outside the club indicated that Lyon was a barrier to them coming to Freo.

More likely, the board caved to the constant negative press. They were concerned about it at the AGM last year.

Mr Fonebone

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Ham
Lyon was sacked simply because he was not good enough anymore. His coaching philosophies are out of date. He is a dinosaur.
Add to that his abrasive and arrogant attitude that put many in the media, and even Freo fans, offside and he just had to go.
Ross has one redeeming feature. He is a charismatic figure and a great motivator. But, then again, so was Charlie Manson.
Glad to see the back of him. Average coach and average bloke. Freo can do better.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
100%.

Reading between the lines it was pretty easy to see Fyfe is unhappy at what happened.

I'm not sure why he wasn't consulted. They consulted Pavlich before they sacked Harvey.
Probably for the stuff Whately was talking about: this is about the Board setting the direction for the club not the Footy Dept or the players.

In their day jobs, people like Alcock or Murphy or Carter wouldn't go to their best Account Manager to get their "approval" before sacking an executive. They do it and expect those left behind to act professionally in a professional environment.

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
and if we made the finals why exactly would you not be extending his contract?

He has rebuilt the team, turned over the most players in the AFL since 2015, and we were very well positioned to make the finals this year until we got injuries. Next year was shaping up very nicely.

People talk like Brisbane is the blue print. The team who spent 5 years at the bottom and now have swung up.
Brisbane have improved no disputing that , But they have had a dream run with injuries with almost best 22 available week in week out. This week only Christianson would be considered borderline best 22 , So they are at full strength.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
kicking into a forward line with our best players out is always going to be tough.

It's an overall picture...18th in kicking efficiency. Brad Hill dropping 10%...A guy who is at the peak of his powers in terms of fitness can't kick the ball as well anymore...Langdon cant kick...these are guys who regularly get 25+.

Horrible. It's demoralising to watch McCarthy have the ball go everywhere except to where he needs it.

Probably for the stuff Whately was talking about: this is about the Board setting the direction for the club not the Footy Dept or the players.

In their day jobs, people like Alcock or Murphy or Carter wouldn't go to their best Account Manager to get their "approval" before sacking an executive. They do it and expect those left behind to act professionally in a professional environment.

Not the greatest similie there as it's commonplace in the workforce for employees to be headhunted by their old boss at their new position and follow them there because they preferred working under them.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's an overall picture...18th in kicking efficiency. Brad Hill dropping 10%...A guy who is at the peak of his powers in terms of fitness can't kick the ball as well anymore...Langdon cant kick...these are guys who regularly get 25+.

Horrible. It's demoralising to watch McCarthy have the ball go everywhere except to where he needs it.

if you don't have the cattle you can't kick it to them. Good players make leads where it is easy to hit them up. They make 50/50s into 80/20s. Suddenly your kicking efficiency is higher.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good question. Perhaps Lyon did not have full support of all the players. Fyfe, Walters and Brayshaw are not all the players.

Losing Neale had a lot to do with it, I think, along with any other players we are likely to lose. That shows that something is not right internally.
Perhaps players from outside the club indicated that Lyon was a barrier to them coming to Freo.

More likely, the board caved to the constant negative press. They were concerned about it at the AGM last year.

caving to negative press is the hallmark of a weak club and weak decision-makers.

the negative press was generated from two factors

1) Ross's relationship with the media "pack"
2) Weagle people in the industry who want to see Fremantle fail.

neither of them should have had any baring on what should be a *football decision*.

If the back office staff don't like Ross? Too ******* bad. The players would run through a wall for him. Last time i checked the back office don't kick the footy and wear a jumper on the weekend.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Neale left because the club didn't offer him as much as Brisbane and he felt some players on the team were not as committed as they should be. Nothing to do with Ross.

Back