List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Woah!! I’ve been surfing in El Salvador and Costa Rica and I’m late to the party.

You’ve been a champ Ross and been great for our club but I guess 4 years not making the finals was the final straw.

I honestly think that he could easily have been sacked at any of these points prior.
1) After going 0-10 in 2016.
2) After the sexual harassment stuff.
3, 4, 5) After our 3rd 100 point flogging or the 4th or the 5th.

I have no problem with the decision or timing and excited a new coach gets a full preseason to work with the team.

Guys and Girls please I understand how keen you all are to have an opinion on what was wrong and what is wrong with our football team .
I love the banter and all the stuff about why we are so poor in the skills department and how much the top players all loved Ross BUT the team under Ross didn't progress at the level management insisted upon 'its that plane and simple .Ross Gone
RTB had the game plan and he knew how to inspire players to play good structured football . He also was willing to move players like chess pieces during a game to get a better outcome in a game .The problem was that the players we have recruited didn't have the skill level to consistently carry it out .
The other problem Ross had was that not only was his game plan based on 22 fit and skilled players that could use those skills when they were under duress .The last piece of the puzzle that brought RTB down this season was his insistence of playing too many undersize midfielders and expecting Mundy and Fyfe to carry too big a load . Think back people to 2013 , Fyfe , Barlow ,Mundy, Crowley Steven Hill and Neale . Now there's a midfield .
Who ever the new coach is he is going to have to find a minimum 3 big bodied mids and to be honest the possible replacements are already on the team list .Luke Ryan , Ryan Nyhuis and Ethan Hughes along with the further development of Brayshaw ,North ,Banfield , Blackley and Cerra .What he will need is quality replacements for Brad Hill ,Sandi and Ballas along with recruits with serious pace and football brains . Not just Athletes please .

Lyon was sacked simply because he was not good enough anymore. His coaching philosophies are out of date. He is a dinosaur.
Add to that his abrasive and arrogant attitude that put many in the media, and even Freo fans, offside and he just had to go.
Ross has one redeeming feature. He is a charismatic figure and a great motivator. But, then again, so was Charlie Manson.
Glad to see the back of him. Average coach and average bloke. Freo can do better.
I found it funny you compared Ross Lyon to charles manson lol.

Still. I dont think Ross Lyon is an average coach.

Ron Barrassi took Carlton and North Melbourne to premierships as a coach.

I have said this before and will say it again.

Was Ron Barrassi a failure of a coach after coaching the demons from 1981-1985? they didnt make finals in those 5 years. But some of those blokes from that 1981-85 era played in the demons finals era from 1987-1991

I’m pretty confident in Brayshaw, Cerra, Logue, Darcy and Ryan. Who’ve all come via the draft 2016, 2017, 2018. If Cox gets some continuity, he’ll be valuable too. It’s a shame our 2018 draftees have been injured.

We’ve recruited B.Hill, Hogan (injuries permitting), Wilson, Hamling, Lobb in that time frame who are quality players. Matera may have added himself to the list.

I count 11-12 best 22 across 3 drafts. That’s a pretty good rebuild. The problem was 2012-2015. We let our list get in a hole by not refreshing the list.
I agree with your post.

Some of those kids we got in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 drafts will lead us back up the ladder.

With the exception of that solid 2014 draft, most of our drafting and trading around 2012-15 has been disappointing

3 months since he's been cut adrift.

Any news on what his plans are for next year? Coaching, media, SFA?

Now that everything's cooled a bit I'm feeling much more empathy for the bloke these days, feel he's still got a lot to offer at a high level somewhere.
Report in the Herald Sun/The West the other day that he’s got offers to join the media (Footy Classified, Sportsday in Victoria)
Ross Lyon is set to be a major player in the AFL media landscape next year with the ex-Fremantle coach in the mix for two big roles across radio and TV.
The former Fremantle coach is understood to be high on the wish list for two major roles on radio and TV.
Channel 9’s Footy Classified is set for a restructure next year with Lyon seen as a perfect fit as a panellist, replacing Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd.
The talk show is set to expand to two nights – Monday and Tuesday – with Nine contemplating pushing it into prime time at 7.30pm or 8pm.
Lyon’s unique style, quick wit and dry sense of humour, along with his extensive experience in the AFL industry, ticks a lot of boxes.
There will be a rotating panel across the two nights of Footy Classified with original hosts Craig Hutchison and Caroline Wilson likely to be kept to one appearance only per week.
Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd, who joined in 2013, will remain with the show while Port Adelaide premiership tagger Kane Cornes and SEN’s Sam McClure have been mentioned as other possible additions.
Lyon’s other potential gig is alongside Gerard Healy on the top rating drivetime Sports Today program on 3AW.
The Crocmedia-run program is looking for a replacement for Dwayne Russell who after 15 years with the 6pm show is moving over to SEN where he will host the afternoon program in 2020.
Lyon’s name is on a list of candidates for the coveted role along with Fox Sports’ Tom Morris, 3AW caller Bruce Eva and McClure.

3 months since he's been cut adrift.

Any news on what his plans are for next year? Coaching, media, SFA?

Now that everything's cooled a bit I'm feeling much more empathy for the bloke these days, feel he's still got a lot to offer at a high level somewhere.

Lyon had little impact on me personally, but I think his situation was never as good as it seemed or as bad it seemed.

He’ll probably just let the cobblers do the cobbling.

It is what it is.

Failure is feedback and he’s under no illusions.

He’ll write his own story. He’ll give great effort and everything will become self evident.

He’s no juggernaut.

He’ll just bank the 4 points... I mean cash and move on.

He was quite brilliant...

Lyon had little impact on me personally, but I think his situation was never as good as it seemed or as bad it seemed.

He’ll probably just let the cobblers do the cobbling.

It is what it is.

Failure is feedback and he’s under no illusions.

He’ll write his own story. He’ll give great effort and everything will become self evident.

He’s no juggernaut.

He’ll just bank the 4 points... I mean cash and move on.

He was quite brilliant...
He was pretty handy

The bloke just turned 53 years old on November 8th. Plus freo will pay him his final year on his contract next season. I wont be suprised if he sits back and gives himself a holiday in 2020.

You think earning 1 million a year coaching freo for 8 years, from 2012-19, he should be financially stable. If he saved up wisely, he could reitre.

Digging up this old thread because it seems like people need a place where they can try to work through their resentment and move on :thumbsu: Media reports thread and others are getting a bit heated, so hope we can bring the discussion here - all opinions are valid, as we'll all have our own likes and dislikes about Ross the former Boss

My two cents for what it's worth...

• Got us to a grand final where we only lost by 15 points to a champion team who had lost the year before and were hungry, where our players seemed overawed by it. Still, only 15 points loss...
  • Brought some real professionalism to the club, and also brought respect whereas previously we were considered a basket case except for the good year in 2006, and to a degree 2003
  • Brought in a defensive system but where players could come in and out through injuries and still play a decent role in that system - which worked pretty well, I guess it worked because the players just needed to bring effort and not necessarily skills
  • I reckon if Ross had coached Geelong from 2007-2011 he could have won five in a row, that mature squad was perfect for his gameplan IMO
  • Most importantly - his press conferences :D I personally loved his disdain and lack of respect for the media, but just for entertainment value... even though he was clearly trying to avoid their questions most of the time through distraction, when we had a bad game :p
Dislikes
  • The same system did not play the squad to their strengths... Barlow as half forward in his last couple of years? Players at half-back or forward instead of mid, etc? The role-based system was valued over the strengths of individual players, which eventually took its toll once we couldn't sustain the defensive/contested game plan
  • The game went past him over the years, and his defensive/contested game plan took a toll on players, and he couldn't adapt. Even in 2015 I could see the wheels falling off a bit, and I remember guys like Ibbo being a shell of his former self in the couple of years after. Sheridan in the 2015 finals? No confidence. Too hard to maintain that game plan for more than a couple of years, and I reckon it caused alot of injuries over that same period of 2012-2015 and of course beyond. And then once the "retool/replumb" rebuild happened, the young players were clearly not up to that gameplan, with little to no preseasons under their belt
  • Couldn't connect with some of the younger players it seems?
  • The sexual harassment claim against him... this and the way the club handled it left me feeling very uncomfortable
  • Saying we were a no excuses football club, but in the end making excuses at every opportunity
Other opinions welcome, even if they are polar opposite to mine.

So thanks to Ross the Boss for contributing so much and growing the club.

But it's JLO's time and I'm hell excited by what he's bringing. History may well say he's the ultimate quiet achiever of AFL coaching...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Digging up this old thread because it seems like people need a place where they can try to work through their resentment and move on :thumbsu: Media reports thread and others are getting a bit heated, so hope we can bring the discussion here - all opinions are valid, as we'll all have our own likes and dislikes about Ross the former Boss

My two cents for what it's worth...

• Got us to a grand final where we only lost by 15 points to a champion team who had lost the year before and were hungry, where our players seemed overawed by it. Still, only 15 points loss...
  • Brought some real professionalism to the club, and also brought respect whereas previously we were considered a basket case except for the good year in 2006, and to a degree 2003
  • Brought in a defensive system but where players could come in and out through injuries and still play a decent role in that system - which worked pretty well, I guess it worked because the players just needed to bring effort and not necessarily skills
  • I reckon if Ross had coached Geelong from 2007-2011 he could have won five in a row, that mature squad was perfect for his gameplan IMO
  • Most importantly - his press conferences :D I personally loved his disdain and lack of respect for the media, but just for entertainment value... even though he was clearly trying to avoid their questions most of the time through distraction, when we had a bad game :p
Dislikes
  • The same system did not play the squad to their strengths... Barlow as half forward in his last couple of years? Players at half-back or forward instead of mid, etc? The role-based system was valued over the strengths of individual players, which eventually took its toll once we couldn't sustain the defensive/contested game plan
  • The game went past him over the years, and his defensive/contested game plan took a toll on players, and he couldn't adapt. Even in 2015 I could see the wheels falling off a bit, and I remember guys like Ibbo being a shell of his former self in the couple of years after. Sheridan in the 2015 finals? No confidence. Too hard to maintain that game plan for more than a couple of years, and I reckon it caused alot of injuries over that same period of 2012-2015 and of course beyond. And then once the "retool/replumb" rebuild happened, the young players were clearly not up to that gameplan, with little to no preseasons under their belt
  • Couldn't connect with some of the younger players it seems?
  • The sexual harassment claim against him... this and the way the club handled it left me feeling very uncomfortable
  • Saying we were a no excuses football club, but in the end making excuses at every opportunity
Other opinions welcome, even if they are polar opposite to mine.

So thanks to Ross the Boss for contributing so much and growing the club.

But it's JLO's time and I'm hell excited by what he's bringing. History may well say he's the ultimate quiet achiever of AFL coaching...

Add a record amount of 100+ point floggings to the -‘s.

He was our best and worst coach all in the same tenure.

I still rate Neesham as the best “Game Day” coach. Harvey could occasionally make some wacky moves that paid off..and some that didn’t!

But overall no one gets even close to Lyon in Freos history. His downfall was his stubborn attitude and arrogance. That’s my opinion anyway. The game went passed him probably around 2015. We were the worst team to win the minor premiership let’s be honest.

I still rate Neesham as the best “Game Day” coach. Harvey could occasionally make some wacky moves that paid off..and some that didn’t!

But overall no one gets even close to Lyon in Freos history. His downfall was his stubborn attitude and arrogance. That’s my opinion anyway. The game went passed him probably around 2015. We were the worst team to win the minor premiership let’s be honest.
A couple of bad mistakes away from a GF.

Neesham was ahead of his time.

A couple of bad mistakes away from a GF.

We struggled in the back half of 2015. Not sure if you’re referring to 2015 prelim?

If he was a bit more adaptable in that prelim in 2015 and wasn’t so structure based we could’ve pipped hawks that night. Hawks weren’t at their best that night.

We struggled in the back half of 2015. Not sure if you’re referring to 2015 prelim?

If he was a bit more adaptable in that prelim in 2015 and wasn’t so structure based we could’ve pipped hawks that night. Hawks weren’t at their best that night.

We were right in the 2015 prelim until Sheridan's dropped mark and Sutcliffe's stupid kick across goal to Mzungu.

And yet Drum didn’t produce the poor results that Ross did. Ever. I guess the opposition was just better during Ross’s era.

Drum didn’t have a Brownlow medalist at his disposal either.
Because the 2001 season was so great

Back