Ross Lyon sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Point 2 is the most pertinent - there must be a reason why he has applied for many head coach positions and been knocked back in every one.

1 is easily overcome (you appoint the best available regardless of previous affiliation), and 3 surely can also be dealt with. If Lyon and Sumich were at loggerheads before then surely appointing him now after Lyon's gone signals a clean break from what Lyon was about. And if some of the players aren't professional enough to get on with it under a new coach then show them the door - Freo doesn't need players like that (from the sounds of it one of them, Brad Hill, is leaving anyway).

FP- its because he doesnt come across well in the media.Job of the head coach is to not just coach but to be the face of the club.

He reminds me a bit of M.Harvey had a similar affliction to um and aah and didnt inspire confidence.

Simpson, Lyon, Clarkson et al- whether you like their footy or not are polished media performers which give you faith optically about club direction.

As for players like Brad Hill- Im not sure thats entirely fair, we need linebreaking speed in our team so hes certainly required, Speed doesnt grow on trees and I wouldnt say its something we have an abundance of.

Its a similar situation to Judd for you guys- Hes certainly a required player but if we have to trade him we want maximum value for him.

FP- its because he doesnt come across well in the media.Job of the head coach is to not just coach but to be the face of the club.

He reminds me a bit of M.Harvey had a similar affliction to um and aah and didnt inspire confidence.

Simpson, Lyon, Clarkson et al- whether you like their footy or not are polished media performers which give you faith optically about club direction.

As for players like Brad Hill- Im not sure thats entirely fair, we need linebreaking speed in our team so hes certainly required, Speed doesnt grow on trees and I wouldnt say its something we have an abundance of.

Its a similar situation to Judd for you guys- Hes certainly a required player but if we have to trade him we want maximum value for him.

We didn't know how Simmo performed in the media as a coach before we appointed him, though, other than a few token appearances when he was the Hawthorn assistant. His first press conference as an Eagles coach certainly didn't inspire confidence either. Maybe Suma comes across as bland and insipid but if he presents himself well to the board, the staff and most importantly the players and fans it doesn't really matter if he is a plank on camera, and it's something that can change over time. Probably more importantly though is why he has been rejected many times before - he just might not have the ability at all and in that case of course Freo should not appoint him if so.

I mentioned Brad Hill because he is well known to be close to Ross Lyon and if he decided he wanted out because Freo got rid of Lyon then he can be on the next plane to Melbourne imo. I'd say the same for any player at West Coast with an unprofessional attitude like that.

To be honest I’m not sure why you’d sack him now if you didn’t sack him 3 years ago. In 2017 the rebuild started (write off 2016) so they’re 3 years into a rebuild, contended for finals for a bit before dropping away at the end. Probably tracking to make finals next year. I’d call that well on track. The only reason to sack him is if you just don’t think he can win a premiership, losing GFs is his ceiling. Why not sack him after 13, 14 or 15 in that case?
Unashamed Ross fan, he could ensure a GF for the Giants, 3 year term, extend every year until heading into a rebuild phase then give notice.
Big assumption GWS dont get there this year.

To be honest I’m not sure why you’d sack him now if you didn’t sack him 3 years ago. In 2017 the rebuild started (write off 2016) so they’re 3 years into a rebuild, contended for finals for a bit before dropping away at the end. Probably tracking to make finals next year. I’d call that well on track. The only reason to sack him is if you just don’t think he can win a premiership, losing GFs is his ceiling. Why not sack him after 13, 14 or 15 in that case?
Contract at the time.

When freo signed him the 1st time, we signed him on a 4 year deal. From 2012-15.

He got signed to another contract extension after the 2013 GF until the 2017 season.

He then got signed again until 2020 just after the 2015 Prelim final loss.

So yeah...... At the time it was a good idea. Now had he not got that extension until 2020, he would of definately of been gone by 2017. that would of been certain.

I for one am Happy we did that 2016-2019 rebuild. You had all these Anti ross lyon clowns say "oh but ross lyon doesnt know how to rebuild". He never did one. It would of been a cop out sacking him in 2017, 2 years into a 4 year rebuild.

Lyon did play some kids. We got some alright youth coming through.

Would of been stupid sacking him in 2017 as we still had to pay 3 million on his last 3 years.

Your theory of lets sack him if he cant win the flag is flawed. It realy depends on what club you are. Demons fans were happy with Paul Roos Coaching their club from 2014-16. Under Paul Roos, they gradually improved. Sure they didnt make finals. But he was the coach they needed at the time recovering from the Mark Neeld coaching era. Once roos left, they eventually made finals.

It’s hard to understand until he’s your coach. He’s a smooth operator. He could sell snake oil to a snake oil salesman. He manages to captivate the playing group and get them all to buy in to his style - they give great effort every week so it’s hard to argue they’re not playing for the coach. There’s a lot of hope sold on the surface. He’s a great footy mind undoubtably, and everyone at the club buys into that. It’s a weird, insular cult like atmosphere. It’s not your team anymore, it’s Ross Lyon’s Fremantle (or St Kilda).
It’s hard to cut the guy loose when he has a vice like grip over the club and for the most part - he’s grinding out ugly win after ugly win. It’s hard to part ways when you’re winning even if you don’t go all the way.
When you’re not winning it’s tedious though. Eventually the outcry from members and drop in numbers and frustrating game style overcame his constant reassurances that everything was fine and on track.
But going back to your comment, it was probably the iron clad 5 year contract that saw him get this far. He may well have been let go in 2017 or 18 if it wasn’t for the ridiculous payout that would have crippled us. 1 year to pay out is manageable.
Sounds about right.

Again you hope freo wont get sucked into a Coach to the point we give him a 5 year contract. Still...... I hope the next coach brings us similar success again, this time hoping to snag a possible flag.

Unashamed Ross fan, he could ensure a GF for the Giants, 3 year term, extend every year until heading into a rebuild phase then give notice.
Big assumption GWS dont get there this year.
To be honest I am a ross lyon fan too.

I will always respect him getting the best out of a limited squad from 2012-15.

Just shows you how important it is to get a decent coach. I still remember the chris Connolly Years of 2002-2007. We sadly underachieved. we only made finals in 2003 and 2006. We should of made finals every year from 2003-6.

Contract at the time.

When freo signed him the 1st time, we signed him on a 4 year deal. From 2012-15.

He got signed to another contract extension after the 2013 GF until the 2017 season.

He then got signed again until 2020 just after the 2015 Prelim final loss.

So yeah...... At the time it was a good idea. Now had he not got that extension until 2020, he would of definately of been gone by 2017. that would of been certain.

I for one am Happy we did that 2016-2019 rebuild. You had all these Anti ross lyon clowns say "oh but ross lyon doesnt know how to rebuild". He never did one. It would of been a cop out sacking him in 2017, 2 years into a 4 year rebuild.

Lyon did play some kids. We got some alright youth coming through.

Would of been stupid sacking him in 2017 as we still had to pay 3 million on his last 3 years.

Your theory of lets sack him if he cant win the flag is flawed. It realy depends on what club you are. Demons fans were happy with Paul Roos Coaching their club from 2014-16. Under Paul Roos, they gradually improved. Sure they didnt make finals. But he was the coach they needed at the time recovering from the Mark Neeld coaching era. Once roos left, they eventually made finals.
I don’t think believe he can’t win a flag - I just can’t explain why the club would sack him unless they thought that. He’d rebuilt the team to roughly the same point where he picked it up in 2012 - and he worked wonders with that group.

We didn't know how Simmo performed in the media as a coach before we appointed him, though, other than a few token appearances when he was the Hawthorn assistant. His first press conference as an Eagles coach certainly didn't inspire confidence either. Maybe Suma comes across as bland and insipid but if he presents himself well to the board, the staff and most importantly the players and fans it doesn't really matter if he is a plank on camera, and it's something that can change over time. Probably more importantly though is why he has been rejected many times before - he just might not have the ability at all and in that case of course Freo should not appoint him if so.

I mentioned Brad Hill because he is well known to be close to Ross Lyon and if he decided he wanted out because Freo got rid of Lyon then he can be on the next plane to Melbourne imo. I'd say the same for any player at West Coast with an unprofessional attitude like that.
Well did you enjoy every mark neeld press conference when he coached the demons? :p

I wont have any animosity towards Brad Hill. His other half wants to go back to Victoria to start a family. If the saints or any other vic really want him, they will offer their top 10 pick or a late 1st rounder, if they are crazy enough to offer him a lot of money.

I was shocked when Lachie Neale wanted out at Freo. Again, I have no hatred towards him. This time last year, Neale was getting 25-30 disposals a game and had no tall forward to kick to.

We essentially traded Neale out to get Hogan in.

If we didnt get hogan, Neale would be at freo kicking the ball to Tarberner and Lobb and McCarthy in the forward 50.

Losing neale hurt but freo had to make the best of a bad situation and we got that KPF we needed in hogan.

I don’t think believe he can’t win a flag - I just can’t explain why the club would sack him unless they thought that. He’d rebuilt the team to roughly the same point where he picked it up in 2012 - and he worked wonders with that group.
Again, i dont have any animosity towards him.

I think certain people in power had enough of him or dont think this was as far as he can get.

Ross Lyon is sacked, but the next coach who comes in will have something to work with. That 2012 was an ageing squad with Sandi, Pav, McPharlin were 30 or close to it. All out Good KPPs are aged 24 or under.

Absolutely, best available simple as that. With Bell as GM of Football I'd be hoping for less ex-Freo players around him not more, although again best available and that's where Longmuir comes in. Would be stoked to see him get the coaching job because of his experience and reputation, being an ex player will be good PR which Freo could do with about now but it shouldn't get him the job.
Very well put

Best available and if that happens to be Justin, then that is fantastic.

The experience says you need a GUN list manager along side him, even though we are told the Coach is not all powerful come draft time.
A bit of luck goes along way come the big one.

I've been on a work trip this week and had not caught up with Ross and Stevo gone from Fremantle news until today. A bit sad imo.
My own take is that the move to the new bigger stadium and the drop in membership and drop in average crowds was what forced the boards hand.When you move to a bigger more expensive stadium and your not getting results and the fans are not turning up its kind of obvious in hindsight.Very bad time to have a five year rebuild with no garantees of success.
I wouldn't mind if Fremantle started pulling bigger crowds from next season and put a bit of presure on so that the Perth Stadium capacity could be increased to 70,000.Glad that the Fremantle board are thinking about all those Eagles in waiting .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been on tour this week havn't caught up with Ross and Stevo gone from Fremantle until today. A bit sad imo.
My own take is that the move to the new bigger stadium and the drop in membership and drop in average crowds was what forced the boards hand.
I wouldnt mind if Fremantle started pulling bigger crowds and put a bit of presure on so the Perth Stadium capacity could be increased to 70,000.Glad that the Fremantle board are thinking about all those Eagles in waiting .
yep.... I remembered that 2003-2007 period well. West coast made finals selling out Subi oval.

It's came to a point the Eagles had 20,000 members on the waiting list. It came to a point where one Eagles members ran out of patience an
Signed up as Freo members.

Freo making finals in 2003 also helped

yep.... I remembered that 2003-2007 period well. West coast made finals selling out Subi oval.

It's came to a point the Eagles had 20,000 members on the waiting list. It came to a point where one Eagles members ran out of patience an
Signed up as Freo members.

Freo making finals in 2003 also helped

Lel .Yeah well I'm no freagle but I wish yuz just well enough.

Fact.

Hard to believe he played in 17 finals and 4 GF's. One of the luckiest players ever.

"Hard to believe he played in 17 finals and 4 GF's. One of the luckiest players ever. "

Not entirely lucky...4 losing GF's - even lost when playing for Hawthorn...

Last edited:
"Hard to believe he played in 17 finals and 4 GF's. One of the luckiest players ever. "

Not entirely lucky...4 losing GF's - even lost when playing for Hawthorn...
your still shocked Zac Dawson is an Academy coach at carlton are you?

Imagine him teaching the next generation of Carlton players how to kick goals? lol

you remember how crazy it was back then?

again, you had 20,000 west coast members on the waiting list for 2-5 years. That was how hot the eagles tickets were in 2005-7
The waiting list time is more than 5 years with 10,000 on it and when it gets ovet 10,000 Eagles people have learned not to bother .
Huge AFL town here 2.5 million people 2 teams v Melbourne 6 million 9 teams.More than enough supporters for both teams.
Best if Fremantle just run there own race and leave the Eagles to theirs.

If some of you haven't you'd probably enjoy listening to Nat Fyfe's interview over the whole situation. Guy spoke like he was holding back emotion because he was extremely close with Ross, but he was extremely professional and spoke truly like a captain. Worth a listen. Glad he's our leading man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back