Rumour Ross Lyon to coach Carlton in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

The funniest part is that some on that board were just gonna gift Lyon the job, the other half then pulled out the idea of coaching selection panel.

This club shouldn't be this bad, they've got the talent. Unfortunately, the club is a breed of failure.

I’m clearly in the minority but give me a Ross Lyon type of coach any day of the week. As a pure football coach you can’t argue that Ross Lyon does get the best out of his players.

I still stand by that Lyon is the best coach that Fremantle has ever had. Brought professionalism and a mental toughness the club had never seen before. I’ll take endorsements from Pavlich, Riewoldt, Hayes, Fyfe , Sandilands, McPharlin, Dal santo over the likes of Suban and Langdon.

If you can’t stand Ross Lyon now imagine if he turns Carlton around 😂

Looks like Ross couldn't take undergoing the process.

The funniest part is that some on that board were just gonna gift Lyon the job, the other half then pulled out the idea of coaching selection panel.

This club shouldn't be this bad, they've got the talent. Unfortunately, the club is a breed of failure.

Yep, this. Have said before on other threads and will repeat it until I’m blue in the face, but the Carlton board is factionalised to the point of being barely able to operate.

They still think it is 1982 and they are the biggest, baddest club in the land and are just one big name recruit / coach away from playing finals. Now they are just bad.

They need an EGM far more than the Pies, I have heard that a rival ticket is pushing for a spill.

On Ross, personally I reckon he just didn’t want to go through any interview process at all, he just wanted a
job offered to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, this. Have said before on other threads and will repeat it until I’m blue in the face, but the Carlton board is factionalised to the point of being barely able to operate.

They still think it is 1982 and they are the biggest, baddest club in the land and are just one big name recruit / coach away from playing finals. Now they are just bad.

They need an EGM far more than the Pies, I have heard that a rival ticket is pushing for a spill.

On Ross, personally I reckon he just didn’t want to go through any interview process at all, he just wanted a
job offered to him.
Exactly. Carlton are Carltons worst enemy.

Genuinely can't believe how many starf***ers are just following the top-line players' opinions and equating that to Ross Lyon being a good coach. The entire point of why he's lost it, is you need to put 18 on the field at any given time. You need to have 44 on your list. Keeping a handful of top stars happy is the Ross Lyon model. He WILL win Sam Walsh a brownlow and WILL be beloved by Carlton's top stars. But that doesn't change that at any given time you need 18 on the field. And this is where he and Carlton will fail miserably.

People are in this thread are ridiculing Nick Suban's opinion and career. The guy was best 22 for eight years and 160-odd games. You cannot win a single game without a lot of Nick Subans, never mind win a flag. Then factor in there are 20 more guys behind him in the pecking order. If you can't even get buy-in from a guy who plays almost every game for eight years then what hope have you got of building any depth!

Which is crazy because the depth tier at St Kilda & Fremantle during Lyons tenure at each, were far shitter players than the Geelong/Collingwood and Hawthorn teams that rivaled each respective side, and Suban had a far better career under Lyon than anyone would have expected him to have.

I like technical sports, I like organised drilled teams, my quibbles with Lyon are about the off field stuff.

Yep, plus Lyons teams inability to score is a vastly dramatised version of the truth. I mean, his sides were never Crows 17 level of scoring, but they were also never (rarely? I didn't check every year, just the good seasons) anything like bottom 6 in scoring. He gets wins, he gets teams playing solid team based footy with every player doing a role - which goes well results though, just he hasn't seen a flag or a rebuild through.

Really I think his off field stuff is the only reason a group like Carlton that doesn't seem galvanised, has stars but doesn't have the 2nd tier being consistent enough, and needs a central ethos to build around, wouldn't benefit from him. Especially another 5, 6 years on since some of the more publicized off field issues, the world has only changed further away from turning a blind eye to that sort of conduct.

Only other comment I have is that sometimes you do have to be wary of why exactly a player might not have been favoured by an ex coach.

Nick Graham slagged Malthouse off a couple of years back.

Turns out his anecdote for why he was a bit against Malthouse and thought he wasn't a good fit was because Graham put in a half effort in some run through drills in pre season and was pretty pleased with himself because he had just come back from injury, and Malthouse got up him. And Graham didn't like that?? Like mate, pretty sure only Buddy, Swan (both with extreme natural talent) and a bunch of 90s guys could get away with that sort of effort. The vast majority of successful players are hard as * trainers and Graham was nowhere near the level of not putting in 100% on every drill.

So yes, they can have valuable insight into a coach, but they can also play a victim and blame game.

So why wont Lyon go through the interview process? He hasn't coached for 2 years. Has never won a premiership, yet feels he is above all others?
I would have thought Carlton would want to understand his assessment of the playing list and how he proposes to coach them. Does he think football clubs should just go in blind??

What an idiot.

Adam Kingsley would be the wise choice imo.

Sayers, Matheson and Kernahan wanted Ross but obviously other Board members had their doubts.

Huge blow for Sayers authority but a huge win for good sense and governance.

360 saying that Sayers couldn't secure the votes on the board. Smells like they have concerns about his Freo departure and the harassment case.

Might not even be about that .

The Board probably just said look we hired Teague without proper process. We can't do that again.

Why not get a shortlist and interview them all? What's to lose from running a proper process? Costs nothing.

Just basic governance 101.

This is comical. Ross the boss throws his hat in the ring before the job is vacant and now pulls out of the race when the positions available.

Insinuates Collingwoods a mess that's why he pulled out there, this blokes a joke. Not saying he can't coach some tactics but you couldn't trust him as far as you can throw him. He's a slimy campaigner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back