Ross Lyon: Will He Coach Again?

Who will be the third team to be coached by Ross Lyon?

• GWS

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • Ross Lyon will stay in the media

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Noth Melbourne

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we're about to see the 2nd and 3rd-time coaches become more prevalent. It depends on the Ross the Boss' attitude and game style?
North
GWS
Adelaide
Melbourne
Carlton
Essendon
All of whom could be making a change mid-season or at the end of 2021?

I doubt he hasn't been contacted in regards to some capacity already?
You can drop adelaide off that list

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Clubs are crazy if they don’t give Ross another job.

The bloke is a mastermind of the game you see in the media.

Coached teams to 3 grand finals, bad coaches don’t do that

GWS is the best fit and should have been all over him imo.
2 grand finals. The third was extra time

He would suit coaching lists such as the Giants, Pies & Melbourne. Not North as they're literally rock bottom & in need a full hard rebuild which is looking like they need to give someone time & patience. Someone like for 4 to 5 years + before reviewing.
Ross the Boss is more like a 3 year (contract) max coach & fits a mid range team that needs to push that next step.

That's what they said about Ratten too..

While i personally have never been a Ratten fan as a coach, he has always had 90% support from everyday fans/members and 100% support from the media.

Conversely, while i personally have been a Lyon fan as a coach, he would be lucky to break 50% support from everyday fans/members and 20% from the media. And while i was a fan of Ross as a Coach, i think his approach is no longer tolerated. Not by some players, most colleagues, and probably all now employers.

I think he's done with. Too much negative vibe to bring to a Club/business.

He had a good stint.

I’m not saying that he definitely won’t. But I think any club desperate enough to take him will be making a mistake.

- I think his game plan has been shown not to cut it after long enough stints at StK and way too long at Freo.
- I don’t think he realises that his game plan stinks (I think he think he knows better, and that circumstances have been against him), so he won’t or can’t change his game plan
- I think he’s wasted the good talent he’s had on the lists he’s coached
- And that he hasn’t left the clubs he’s coached for long stints in good condition list wise
- Finally I just think he comes across as a smarmy bullshit artist, and not the sort of person who men are going to feel inspired following.
His game plan stinks and yet he's coached in as many GFs as Hardwick haha and with 2 different clubs.

Your opinion is so far off the mark its ridiculous.
He was a bounce off a footy and an absurd toe poke from an all time great from being a 2 time prem coach. If you lack the basic fundamental ability to look past the result you'd see he's been one of the best coaches of the last 20 years

He would suit coaching lists such as the Giants, Pies & Melbourne. Not North as they're literally rock bottom & in need a full hard rebuild which is looking like they need to give someone time & patience. Someone like for 4 to 5 years + before reviewing.
Ross the Boss is more like a 3 year (contract) max coach & fits a mid range team that needs to push that next step.
I agree. He's not a rebuild coach, he'll turn your inconsistent peahearted squad in a crack A team of soldiers. But he's the main man, no mavericks no dissent. His game plan is well known, it would be interesting to see if he changes it the third time round or if he goes with the tried and true.

Melbourne and GWS definitely shape as most suitable, I think the Pies won't give him the free reign he needs.

Last edited:
I think we're about to see the 2nd and 3rd-time coaches become more prevalent. It depends on the Ross the Boss' attitude and game style?
North
GWS
Adelaide
Melbourne
Carlton
Essendon

I look at that list of teams.

If theres any teams that would suit him it would be either the Demons or Carlton.

Demons would be perfect. Melbourne Demons would suit him. Demons should of played finals in 2017 and 2020 along with that 2018 prelim they had. Saying that, He could coach the demons in 2022 and give them a 3-5 year run of finals before falling off the cliff.

He coached 3 grand finals 2009, 2010, 2013.

I honestly don’t understand the hate. Coached teams, they didn’t win and required a rebuild. No different to what Clarkson did at Hawks except they won.
true -thanks for reminding me. People often count 2010 as two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been hoping for Clarkson at the Giants...
I expect Lyon will get another gig at some stage.

That's what they said about Ratten too..

Brett Ratten? Really?

After working under Clarko it was always a matter of when he thought he was ready again.

I've always enjoyed Ross' persona, communication style, and philosophy. 2009/10 saints were a fantastic side that overcame lack of a graders with team ethic, organisation and will.

These says on the telly he is being restrained by the producers, he needs more freedom and they should let him be. He's got alot to say abt footy still. Has he got the adaptability to go back to coaching in the modern game? I hope so.

I remember when Eade went off to coach up north. Pretty obvious from the get go Eade was wrong for that post given his emotional immaturity and lack of self discipline. I dont thing Ross is the same, I think he processes failure better and can adapt. He is suited to coach North, they need a firm and clear direction.

Best media performer by a country mile, incredible at getting across his thoughts and I can see why his players loved him.
Some players loved him. At the Saints he definitely had favourites and others who didn't get much time or opportunity.

North
GWS
Adelaide
Melbourne
Carlton
Essendon

Be honest, you want Ross Lyon to coach again do you? LoL

I’m not saying that he definitely won’t. But I think any club desperate enough to take him will be making a mistake.

- I think his game plan has been shown not to cut it after long enough stints at StK and way too long at Freo.
- I don’t think he realises that his game plan stinks (I think he think he knows better, and that circumstances have been against him), so he won’t or can’t change his game plan
- I think he’s wasted the good talent he’s had on the lists he’s coached
- And that he hasn’t left the clubs he’s coached for long stints in good condition list wise
- Finally I just think he comes across as a smarmy bullshit artist, and not the sort of person who men are going to feel inspired following.
Disagree re lists. Fremantle list was in good shape when he left, particularly with the number of games he put into Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker etc

But that aside, coaches aren't list managers. List managers are list managers and they report to the Head of Football not the coach.
So the St Kilda list being in poor shape isn't on Ross.

Back