Ross Lyon: Will He Coach Again?

Who will be the third team to be coached by Ross Lyon?

• GWS

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • Ross Lyon will stay in the media

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Noth Melbourne

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
He hasn't ruled out coaching again, and has been approached by teams like Adelaide after being sacked by Freo.

I don't think you necessarily want him around the club long-term, but for an under-performing team like GWS with a strong list he could be a really good option to push for a premiership.

Dont think so.

Twice has come close to a flag but failed, and then left the list in a mess.

If he was coaching this year his team would struggle to kick a score above 20 each week. Not great for membership numbers during a pandemic and financial crisis.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
He hasn't ruled out coaching again, and has been approached by teams like Adelaide after being sacked by Freo.

I don't think you necessarily want him around the club long-term, but for an under-performing team like GWS with a strong list he could be a really good option to push for a premiership.
Why is it a really good option to push for premiership?

There will be a touch of the Paul Roos effect with Lyon.

Everytime one of the coaches gets a bit wobbly there will be some media spiv or a football “intellectual” like Healy or Garry Lyon mention Ross The Boss.

Nothing surer. He’ll get talked up for so long they won’t be able to resist.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he was coaching this year his team would struggle to kick a score above 20 each week. Not great for membership numbers during a pandemic and financial crisis.
Collingwood only score for 1.5 quarters per game and are many people's flag favourites.

He is the best going at the style being rolled out this year, could easily go all the way with the right list.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Why is it a really good option to push for premiership?

Experienced senior coach. People like to forget, but very unlucky to not win more then one premiership (from memory an unlucky bounce robbing him of one.)

As for GWS he'd toughen them up and institute a new defensive brand of football. I'm pretty confident he'd get more out of that list then Cameron is currently.

Collingwood only score for 1.5 quarters per game and are many people's flag favourites.

He is the best going at the style being rolled out this year, could easily go all the way with the right list.
geez youre still under his spell...

Might see it happening, but he strikes me as the type that's happy being in the media. Would probably require someone to do a Mark Neeld, though.

IMO he'd be a fantastic fit for GWS. Possibly also Melbourne.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Experienced senior coach. People like to forget, but very unlucky to not win more then one premiership (from memory an unlucky bounce robbing him of one.)

As for GWS he'd toughen them up and institute a new defensive brand of football. I'm pretty confident he'd get more out of that list then Cameron is currently.
GWS need to toughen up and institute a new defensive brand of football????? With Ross Lyon to implement this? Found his manager.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Still got them to the same point. A Grand Final loss.

The difference being that GWS were humiliated badly in the grand final. Granted you had a number of injured players, but still.

From memory it was St Kilda vs Collingwood where a unlucky bounce resulted in a draw rather then win. They were pretty competitive against Geelong too.

Freo's kicking was always a problem under Ross so I don't want to argue this point too much, but Freo without their wasteful kicking at goal against Hawthorn would have won the 2013 Grand Final (10 missed shots in the first half for a 13 point loss.) And a much better result then Sydney and West Coast would have against the same team in 2014 and 2015.

3 grand finals that Lyon realistically could have / should have won is a completely different result then one grand final humiliation.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The difference being that GWS were humiliated badly in the grand final. Granted you had a number of injured players, but still.

From memory it was St Kilda vs Collingwood where a unlucky bounce resulted in a draw rather then win. They were pretty competitive against Geelong too.

Freo's kicking was always a problem under Ross so I don't want to argue this point too much, but Freo without their wasteful kicking at goal against Hawthorn would have won the 2013 Grand Final (10 missed shots in the first half for a 13 point loss.) And a much better result then Sydney and West Coast would have against the same team in 2014 and 2015.

3 grand finals that Lyon realistically could have / should have won is a completely different result then one grand final humiliation.

Should have, could have, didn’t.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
The giants would challenge for the flag under a coach like Lyon, they deserve a flag about now but the cliff on the other side would be massive and i think the rest of the AFL would be happy seeing the giants list in a mess

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Better than those 3 clubs current coaches

Back