Ross Lyon: Will He Coach Again?

Who will be the third team to be coached by Ross Lyon?

• GWS

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • Ross Lyon will stay in the media

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Noth Melbourne

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching is not just about tactics you've gotta have great relationships and energy with the players. He's too old for that.

He’s 53, one year older than Clarkson, one year younger than Hinkley and 6 years younger than Fagan, age hasn’t stopped Clarkson, Hinkley or Fagan seemingly having great relationships with their players.

Oldest first-time premiership coach was Pagan @ 49. Lyon turns 54 next month and I don't see him coaching again unless he takes the North job, which he is unsuited to IMO.
Get on the phone to Brisbane and tell em to sack Fagan then.

I think this is the problem (perceived or otherwise), his gameplan is good enough to play finals regularly but just won't win a flag.

Also bring a skills coach in. Freo should have won if not for Pavlich, Fyfe, Ballantyne and co missing shots they should have nailed. Same scoring shots and we kicked it out on the full a couple of times as well. Can't blame Lyon for that?

1603499116961.png

I think this is the problem (perceived or otherwise), his gameplan is good enough to play finals regularly but just won't win a flag.
To me which isnt a Bad thing.

Hangs around a club for 4-6 years. Enjoy a 3-4 year finals run and get a grand final. Sure the list is aged when that 4 year finals run is over. I dont mind freos rebuild. If you are going to have a 4-5 year rebuild of not making finals so be it. Chances are the next time that team makes finals, there will e 3-5 players left from that last finals stint.

I don’t know if Harvey list the group but the foundations of a very good side were already in place when Ross took over at Freo. Same with St Kilda. He does well when he has the cattle, not convinced he’d do the same with a less talented team.
Prediction that a coach might struggle when they have less talent at their disposal, stop the presses! :p

Haha, he seems to lack the ability to develop a list, IMO.

Question without notice.

It has been suggested that when Lyon took over at Freo, there was already some good cattle on site, from Harvey’s reign. Ok, so the list was good ?.

Now that JLo has taken over at Freo, and they seem to be in an upward curve, why are they on the improve.

As for the comment about Harvey above, did not Lyon recruit & develop a lot of the current Freo players ?. You can’t have it both ways, Lyon inherited players, but the didn’t develop any.

He did develop players.

It has been suggested that when Lyon took over at Freo, there was already some good cattle on site, from Harvey’s reign. Ok, so the list was good ?.

There was some good management at Freo during Harvey's time to recover from the ageing list of 2007. It was a relatively mature list when Lyon arrived, which is what he needs. Points against was quickly reduced from 100-96-103-95-98 to 77-69-71-71. Immediately the rebuild started, this blew back out to 96-98-93.

At St.Kilda he inherited a team that played finals the previous three years.

At best, his ability to develop a young team remains unproven.

Last edited:
trolling. His list at freo was rubbish and competitive in gfs at saints unlike Ferrari driver
Agree some one at gws needs to have the balls to pull the trigger on Ross while his still available I think they could be a scary team with him as coach have the talent but no structure discipline or game plan which are Lyons three main strengths

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree some one at gws needs to have the balls to pull the trigger on Ross while his still available I think they could be a scary team with him as coach have the talent but no structure discipline or game plan which are Lyons three main strengths
Someone needs to have the balls to pull the trigger on neon Leon first.
How he got an extension is mystifying.
The guys the definition of an very ordinary coach.

Would love to see RTB coach GWS.

No thanks. He had great lists elsewhere and got them as far as Leon has so no point.

He made our list look good. As noted already, we lost our last 6 games of the season by an average of 60+ points before he joined us. That's North 2020 territory.

Go look at our bottom 6 players each week in 2013 - they'd struggle to stay on GWS' list, let alone play every week.

Ross Lyon took on ready-made teams. He’s never built a team up in his life. People suggesting he take on clubs like North are kidding themselves. Could he take on another ready-made team like GWS and take them to a granny? Sure. But why change when Leon Cameron has already got them that far.
That is a lie....

Even though he got sacked this time last season at the dockers, that dockers side is in a reasonable shape

Ironic...... As all teams do that now..... Including your coach clarko

Clarko beat the choking flooding zone defence.

When he gets a few more good young players he will beat the current flood.

Or the AFL can fix the horrible umpiring and pay more frees and ball up quicker to stop giving the rolling mauls so much time.

He made our list look good. As noted already, we lost our last 6 games of the season by an average of 60+ points before he joined us. That's North 2020 territory.

Go look at our bottom 6 players each week in 2013 - they'd struggle to stay on GWS' list, let alone play every week.

You can comment as much as you want, he is no better than Leon, actually Leon is slightly better because players actually like Leon.

Getting rid of Leon opens options to get better coaches, not just another poor one.

That is a lie....

Even though he got sacked this time last season at the dockers, that dockers side is in a reasonable shape

Fremantle has spent 5 years in the doldrums playing a dismal brand of football because of Lyon's decisions. His list was completely mishandled.

There was some good management at Freo during Harvey's time to recover from the ageing list of 2007. It was a relatively mature list when Lyon arrived, which is what he needs. Points against was quickly reduced from 100-96-103-95-98 to 77-69-71-71. Immediately the rebuild started, this blew back out to 96-98-93.

At St.Kilda he inherited a team that played finals the previous three years.

At best, his ability to develop a young team remains unproven.

The point I was making, is that people say he inherited some good cattle from Harvey. Ok, we’ll tick that.

He lifted some “ordinary foot soldiers” into a finals outfit for a couple of seasons. Then he recruited a number of players, Brayshaw, Cerra, Ryan etc.

JLo is being given credit for the development of the youngsters. Hey, those youngsters were recruited during Lyons reign.

You can’t on one hand say he inherited good cattle, and on the other hand say he didn’t develop any players when he left. You can’t use two different lines of argument, to push your point.

Yes, Lyon had to go in the end at Freo, time was up, BUT he did leave some good cattle behind.

You can comment as much as you want, he is no better than Leon, actually Leon is slightly better because players actually like Leon.

Getting rid of Leon opens options to get better coaches, not just another poor one.

The irony of players liking Leon, is that it appears that some of the best coaches could be described as “right royal bastards” as people. They are happy to rattle players cages.

Leon is maybe not challenging his players ?. Playing the nice guy role too much, lacks aggro ?.

Good coach for Melbourne or GWS. Not North. He’d really whip Mel or GWS into shape really quickly. I just don’t see him being patient enough to take on a slow, long term rebuild with North.

Back