Ross Lyon: Will He Coach Again?

Who will be the third team to be coached by Ross Lyon?

• GWS

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • Ross Lyon will stay in the media

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Noth Melbourne

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Enjoying the talking up Leon Cameron the most. Quality banter.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Reckon he will coach again at some stage. Could see him at GCS for instance.

I think Rossco is good at implementing structure and professionalism in clubs that suffer from a lack of it, and that correlates to an uptick in on-field performance. However overall I think he is too tactically limited to take a side to a flag (there's a reason most West Coast fans wanted Freo to keep him).

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda

I think Rossco is good at implementing structure and professionalism in clubs that suffer from a lack of it, and that correlates to an uptick in on-field performance. However overall I think he is too tactically limited to take a side to a flag (there's a reason most West Coast fans wanted Freo to keep him).

Bollocks, he got three teams to the big dance and they were in all games down to the wire.

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
Probably similar to Woosha, Malthouse and Roos. Peaked, hasn't got the energy for a fulltime senior gig, will come to the rescue of a club in need if required but only as a short or medium term transition coach like Woosha was at Essendon.

Granted all three other coaches have quenched their premiership thirst and Lyon hasn't, but he doesn't strike me as a coach whose hungry for success. Probably the reason he is where he is.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.

When Lyon had Freo firing West Coast couldn't beat them...

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Ross burns teams out. They experience a sharp upward trend in his first two or three years, but after that they just can't physically cope with the workload physically and mentally and fall away just as sharply. Short term high risk and high reward type stuff. Long term pain.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Ross burns teams out. They experience a sharp upward trend in his first two or three years, but after that they just can't physically cope with the workload physically and mentally and fall away just as sharply. Short term high risk and high reward type stuff. Long term pain.
That is great for a team chasing a flag though

It almost worked at the Saints & Fremantle

He'll coach again

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope he doesn't and gets more airtime on the telly, like listening to him, but he looks pretty uncomfortable there, might be happier on the radio.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He's a good tactician, and I reckon he would be a great coach of the backline. But his defensive style doesn't generate enough opportunities to win finals where execution becomes that much harder.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
When Lyon had Freo firing West Coast couldn't beat them...
I agree to this to a certain point.

Specifically talking about that 2012-15 era when freo made finals.

West coast beat us once in 2012 in Round 9. Still remembered that game... Both teams kicked 20 points at half time. Eagles 2.8.20 to freo 3.2.20.

Eagles won 11.18.84 to 5.6.36. Ross Lyon was copped verbal abuse on footy classified and some how freo turned their season around.

Round 19 both teams met again and Freo won 17.11.113 to Eagles 6.12.48.

2013 Freo won both derbies by the exact same margin at 28 points each.

2014, Freo won both derbies in 2014 by 19 and 7 points.

Keep this in mind, Freo made finals in 2013-4 while west coast finished Outside of the top 8.

2015: Freo won the early derby in round 3 by 30 points and lost the other derby in round 19 by 24 and both WA teams made top 4.

I dont care.

I will savour every final the dockers played under Ross Lyon in that 2012-15 period. It is way better than the period of 1995-2010 when freo only made finals only in 3 years out of 16.

I will also savour every final under Justin Longmuir, if he makes one.

That is great for a team chasing a flag though

It almost worked at the Saints & Fremantle

He'll coach again
Unlikey he will.....

If he does it will probably be for 5-7 years. He will guide that side to a 3-5 year period of finals then the players will be worn out.

He's a good tactician, and I reckon he would be a great coach of the backline. But his defensive style doesn't generate enough opportunities to win finals where execution becomes that much harder.
The issue About Ross Lyon isnt about winning finals, its winning the flag.

People bag out Ross Lyons stint at freo. Granted he is far from perfect.

Again, I will savour all 9 finals we played under him in that 2012-15 era. I definately enjoyed those 4 finals wins.

Saying that, I look at the teams right now, He would most definately suit the demons right now. Have a good 3-4 year run of finals and get a finals win or 2.

Perfect for them to get ross Lyon with that best 22.

Might be too late for Nathan Jones who is 32 years old unless he can around for another 2-3 years.

Max Gawn is only 30 and can easily play until he is 33 or 34 years old.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
I agree to this to a certain point.

Specifically talking about that 2012-15 era when freo made finals.

West coast beat us once in 2012 in Round 9. Still remembered that game... Both teams kicked 20 points at half time. Eagles 2.8.20 to freo 3.2.20.

Eagles won 11.18.84 to 5.6.36. Ross Lyon was copped verbal abuse on footy classified and some how freo turned their season around.

Round 19 both teams met again and Freo won 17.11.113 to Eagles 6.12.48.

2013 Freo won both derbies by the exact same margin at 28 points each.

2014, Freo won both derbies in 2014 by 19 and 7 points.

Keep this in mind, Freo made finals in 2013-4 while west coast finished Outside of the top 8.

2015: Freo won the early derby in round 3 by 30 points and lost the other derby in round 19 by 24 and both WA teams made top 4.

I dont care.

I will savour every final the dockers played under Ross Lyon in that 2012-15 period. It is way better than the period of 1995-2010 when freo only made finals only in 3 years out of 16.

I will also savour every final under Justin Longmuir, if he makes one.

Unlikey he will.....

If he does it will probably be for 5-7 years. He will guide that side to a 3-5 year period of finals then the players will be worn out.

The issue About Ross Lyon isnt about winning finals, its winning the flag.

People bag out Ross Lyons stint at freo. Granted he is far from perfect.

Again, I will savour all 9 finals we played under him in that 2012-15 era. I definately enjoyed those 4 finals wins.

Saying that, I look at the teams right now, He would most definately suit the demons right now. Have a good 3-4 year run of finals and get a finals win or 2.

Perfect for them to get ross Lyon with that best 22.

Might be too late for Nathan Jones who is 32 years old unless he can around for another 2-3 years.

Max Gawn is only 30 and can easily play until he is 33 or 34 years old.
Wow for everything you're bagging Ross out about what do you see in the current Fremantle coach?

Ross is a gun, he almost got there multiple times, he will coach again

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
that would probably mean something if I ever met freo scum who didn't wear Mainwarings death like a badge of honour

but you keep lying about Liam Ryan hey if it helps you sleep at night

You have issues Daniel. Get some help. I'm serious.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Wow for everything you're bagging Ross out about what do you see in the current Fremantle coach?

Ross is a gun, he almost got there multiple times, he will coach again
The funny thing on the freo Board, I have never turned on Ross Lyon.

Ross Lyon has his flaws but his record at freo speaks for it self.

For all the crap that has been given to Ross Lyon on the main board, He did play youth, He didnt play a lot of youth when freo made finals in 2012-15. He did play a lot of youth in 2016-19 when the list fell off the clip and had to rebuild.

By the way I was one of the very few dockers fans that wanted Ross Lyon to coach in 2020.

I know its bay 13, you think Justin Longmuir is a potato.

What do I see In Justin Longmuir? Like Freos current playing Squad: Young, Hungry and want to succeed.

I still think and Hope Justin Longmuir will hang around for a goo 6-8 years and have a good 3-4 years of finals and a couple of finals wins under his watch.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I would say no to Ross being head coach again
he's proven at level , but time away from the position

more likely he would be brought in on a mentoring role or advisory role

Back