Status
Not open for further replies.

sproketman

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not in him.

He backs in players who are fit over those who have skills. Comes apart against skilled and fit sides. Anyone who has played professional sport knows that fitness is easier to build than skills. But he won't risk a skilled, but unfit player in place of a low skilled fit one, because of the demands of his game plan.

He sets up every structure such that no one is goal side. Everyone is placed to cut off the potential turnover and make sure we don't get burned. He won't wear the risk.

He is the most risk averse coach in the game, but this wins him a lot of games, because there are a number of clubs who are either terrible, or take crazy risks to improve rapidly, and give him the opportunity to pounce.

He'll quite possibly do well on the ladder next year, but ultimately it will again mean nothing.

The biggest issue I have is that he is stubborn and no plan B.

How many ******* times does he try the same s**t against the Hawks? Our structure doesn't match up against the Hawks and hell even the Eagles exposed us.

No.

I think we can make an assessment. No better time than now.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come along and claim we missed McPharlin.

Guess what? The Eagles played with no defence and two of their midfielders missing.

Attacking plan can only beat the Hawks, yet we decided to play defensively and let them dictate terms to us.

Just piss off you tosser. How great is it to actually watch a home prelim live? We've had that pleasure twice now in 4 years.

That game was winnable if we had non corrupt umpiring, Mayne/Griffen kicked their 30 metre kicks and Sherro takes his simple mark. Nothing to do with Ross's game plan.

No.

I think we can make an assessment. No better time than now.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come along and claim we missed McPharlin.
We got as close as we could with the forward line that we have. We will always be under the pump at this end of the season when we have to rely on midfielders to kick our goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, we were right in the game.

2 cheap 50s, at least 3 missed shots from easy positions, sherro and Mzungu dropped marks....

If we executed better we would have won. Can't put that squarely on Ross.

Ross got the team in a position to win. They didn't take the chance.

He's partly to blame for sure but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Some players clearly just weren't up to the challenge on the day.

I kinda agree with your thread title.
Ross Lyon won't win unless he realizes his game plan is outdated. They move the ball too slow, down the line often, just doesn't work anymore. Hawthorn always had time to get the 3rd man back or McEvoy.
That was the difference in the game.
Hawthorn on the other hand was playing much faster footy, Freo didn't always have time to get back properly, which gave the Hawthorn forwards plenty of space in the 50.
Freo will only win a GF, if they start moving the ball a lot quicker next year.

We got as close as we could with the forward line that we have. We will always be under the pump at this end of the season when we have to rely on midfielders to kick our goals.
I think the recruitment has been diabolical, but our side was closer to the 2013 GF side than Hawthorn's was. People were begging him to do something different all season. He didn't.

When was the last time someone was made accountable of poor skills at Freo? There has been no fine tuning of skills in this side, and once again we were beaten by a more skilled opponent.

At the very least, a coach should be improving the skill base of the best 22.

Last edited:
Guess what? The Eagles played with no defence and two of their midfielders missing.

Attacking plan can only beat the Hawks, yet we decided to play defensively and let them dictate terms to us.
Did you even watch the game? The Hawks kicked 15-3 ffs. They had gifts given to them, numerous free kicks ignored by the umpires. Then on top of that our players missed shots.
THE problem is we do not have enough players with SKILL and game awareness, the HAWKS do.

I think the recruitment has been diabolical, but our side was closer to the 2013 Freo side than Hawthorn's was. People were begging him to do something different all season. He didn't.
And the one player that he slotted in was the catalyst for the Hawks to close the game out.

Just piss off you tosser. How great is it to actually watch a home prelim live? We've had that pleasure twice now in 4 years.

That game was winnable if we had non corrupt umpiring, Mayne/Griffen kicked their 30 metre kicks and Sherro takes his simple mark. Nothing to do with Ross's game plan.

So ******* what?? We arent the Bulldogs, i want a ******* premiership.

Did you even watch the game? The Hawks kicked 15-3 ffs. They had gifts given to them, numerous free kicks ignored by the umpires. Then on top of that our players missed shots.
THE problem is we do not have enough players with SKILL and game awareness, the HAWKS do.

Who is the one that refuses to play talented youth? Who is the one that loves these spuds?

Some of the spuds might be half decent in a game plan, that doesn't put enormous pressure on them.

We need a bit of a clean out and to stop believing that spuds will somehow miraculously stop being spuds. Elite field kicking is a prerequisite.

Think it's partially the game plan too, a lot of the Eagles players were woeful ******* kicks not long ago and they've managed to turn it around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back