Analysis Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol at the Ross hate.

Mark Stone is the one the gun here. Clearances have been hacked and shallow for weeks now, allowing the other teams' +1 to clean up, and the forward line to look shizen. This is what Freo normally force on the opposition...

No coincidince the last game we dominated (Norf) Fyfe's K:H was very low in clearances, seemed his role was to collect, draw tacklers and then release someone else with meaningful kicks off steps, instead of 30m snaps like last two weeks.

Suban as sub was probably a mistake in wet weather in hindsight. Still reckon Ross is going ok overall. Players sapped after the Adelaide game, then run off our feet chasing Richmond all game last week then another slog in the wet this week, it all adds up.

We had 3 posters today, a terrible FA against us for their first and another at our end from 10m out we should've got. Wasn't our day but ground out a win. The type of game we would've lost to 96 Fitzroy, 2008 Melbourne, 2011 Melbourne etc.

Stats wise most indicators are ok, we're not gonna trounce all the dud sides every time like our big brother, that's not our MO. Two easy weeks and a bye before we tackle the Hawks & plenty of easy home wins to come, hopefully some man management to help a finals assault.

P.s - we have no.7 who is playing like a captain.

The player that has really annoyed me all season is Duffield so I was glad to see him dropped this week despite our defensive stocks being low. Thought Ross' press conference was pretty measured and he certainly wasn't buying into the idea that we somehow 'lost' something today.

12 day break before next game, at home, against the Pies and then another 10 day break before another home game against Brisbane! The Hawthorn in Tassie game is a month away.

Lol at the Ross hate.

Mark Stone is the one the gun here. Clearances have been hacked and shallow for weeks now, allowing the other teams' +1 to clean up, and the forward line to look shizen. This is what Freo normally force on the opposition...

No coincidince the last game we dominated (Norf) Fyfe's K:H was very low in clearances, seemed his role was to collect, draw tacklers and then release someone else with meaningful kicks off steps, instead of 30m snaps like last two weeks.
Any Freo supporter worth their salt loves RTB

Lol at the Ross hate.

Who hates him? As you said, the side struggles when the opposition puts a +1 (or more) in defence and the midfield being pressured to rush the kicks.

Anyone who doesn't either wasn't a supporter in the old days, or has a very short memory.

Yes this is correct, but we are allowed opinions & RTB is a gun & it's now time to win some silverware which means a few things need to changed up getting it out of the middle, sides have worked us out since the start of the year where we were unbeatable. Minor adjustments required.

Tough on Ross Lyon. He clearly wanted to go on the field and shirtfront some of them by the looks of the it. We dominated I50s, posessions, hit outs, clearances. Just up to the players to finish it, not the coach.

Still waiting for that inspired directional change in players, game plan, which should be on the cards soon. Have only lost one game, but there
are cracks showing.
Basically the same team from last year, with an improved preseason, the changes have been forced, not made, but I expect that to
change, and we have seen evidence of this with players dropped.
Only perceived weakness is he wont play youth, and develop talent, looking at Blakey,
Weller, I hope this isnt the case, I expect to see them debut this year, preparing them for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. More about the application of the method. Double the inside 50's, double the scoring shots, 80 more possessions.

Exactly, convert 5 of those 17 points into goals and its a comfortable hiding

Gravy loves the melodramatic overreaction though.

Exactly, convert 5 of those 17 points into goals and its a comfortable hiding
Not how footy works.
To be fair Lyon talked about depth and width of entries during the presser
He also dished out the compliments to Eade. He doesn't often mention the opposition coach by name.

It's pretty obvious how teams are going to tackle Freo from now on. Pressure the midfield, put a +1 (or 2) behind the ball. Adelaide, Richmond and now Gold Coast have done it. Has resulted in two unreasonably close games given the difference in quality between Freo and the opponents, and a loss.

None of the past three opponents are close to Freo's level.

Lack of precision delivery from Pearce and hill are not helping, Hill's radar is way off at the moment
The entire non-Fyfe midfield hasn't been pulling its weight the past few weeks.

Lack of precision delivery from Pearce and hill are not helping, Hill's radar is way off at the moment
Lack of a marking forward doesn't help either.

We looked better at the start of the season when guys like Clarke and Tabs were clunking strong overhead marks.

The only thing Ross has ever done which I felt is wrong (or at least that I can have a meaningful opinion on) is play blokes who are recovering/still have flu. In any professional sport the difference between a good and 'bad' player is not really all that much. A fully fit second stringer is a better option than front liner 20% off fitness, no matter how seasoned or aligned with the gameplan.

The only thing Ross has ever done which I felt is wrong (or at least that I can have a meaningful opinion on) is play blokes who are recovering/still have flu. In any professional sport the difference between a good and 'bad' player is not really all that much. A fully fit second stringer is a better option than front liner 20% off fitness, no matter how seasoned or aligned with the gameplan.
He's done that against the advice of the Medical staff you think or know?

Making Lachie Neale the sub in the GF after his excellent finish to the 2013 season was a major blunder as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back