Remove this Banner Ad

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Personally I think he is the sort of coach we need to realise our list potential. Thoughts?
Totally agree, but cue the cheap shots about his ability to lose grand finals, as if finishing second isnt still maximising your available list. Even an experienced tactician like Eade would have us perform closer to our true potential.

You reckon its a joke that Gary Ayres couldn't return to senior coaching?

Gee-wiz. Ok.
I do actually. He's been coaching at the lower level for too long. Best he could hope for is an assistant role.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
I reckon there could be a lot more to this Ross Lyon rumour than he or Bucks are admitting. Should things turn sour again next season it would not surprise me if he emerges as a very real option for 2019. Personally I think he is the sort of coach we need to realise our list potential. Thoughts?

This is the worst thing you've ever said. Repent please.

Tripe, he'd slot straight back in - wouldn't miss a beat.

Reckon a club could do far, far worse than sign Gary Ayres.

This winning thing might just catch on.
Why hasn't a club signed him?

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon there could be a lot more to this Ross Lyon rumour than he or Bucks are admitting. Should things turn sour again next season it would not surprise me if he emerges as a very real option for 2019. Personally I think he is the sort of coach we need to realise our list potential. Thoughts?

I have doubts about his game plan.

Maybe give this thread a little more oxygen, and then merge into its natural habitat - the hypothetical next Collingwood coach thread...
Why not just merge every thread on the entire board?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ease up jmac, you had a good run with starting threads yesterday.
If the rumours of Lyon approaching the club have any truth to them then this topic is a legitimate one to be discussed in its own thread. Merging it stifles conversation and shows that the mods consider the topic to be a joke, IMO.

As for creating threads you could say I had a moment of clarity last night. In future I will try to resist such urges and will limit myself to posting in existing threads only.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't like Ross Lyon. He's a first class weasel.
I believe that there is much more credence to the story that a 3rd party approached CFC on behalf of Lyon than he or the club would have you believe.

It's 100% true to form and from Eddie's perspective if things go pear shaped next year Lyon may well be his get out of jail card. Collingwood will not appoint a no name coach (Dew, Caracella et al) regardless of their merits. In the alternate world our President inhabits we are above such things.

There are two coaches who scare the life out of me. They are yesterday's men playing yesterday's game Lyon is one Roos is the other. Neither coach would help us reach our potential.

If we are in the market for a new coach next year, you can lock Lyon in. I don;t think there's ever been a more critical year than the coming season. Do OK and we're on an upward trajectory - fail and we end up with Lyon. Those who bemoan our ugly style now ain't seen nothing yet

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah.

It's no coincidence that Bucks and Clarkson's contracts both run out in 2019.

I think Ayres would be an excellent senior coach as I alluded to in an earlier thread. However, a man of his calibre as an assistant to Buckley - well that's just down right insulting. Please note we haven't and we won't attract true quality assistants whilst Buckley is at the helm. And the reasons for that are logical.

Lyon? Agree not a fan. However I would just about take anyone else at this point and McGuire might be desperate by end 2018.

Clarkson! It's time for people to get their hands of their dicks on this one. He ain't coming to Collingwood. Why would he? He has a potentially better list in the making at Hawthorn after 12 months of rebuild vs Buckley's 4 year cultural shift. He ain't coming. Does anyone really think that a man of Clarkson's integrity would prostitute himself to the likes of McGuire. Mind you, I guess he could say to Ed, I will come and save your ass if you walk away from the Presidency. Now there's a sweet deal. Oops better take my hand of it.

Sco80

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
I think Ayres would be an excellent senior coach as I alluded to in an earlier thread. However, a man of his calibre as an assistant to Buckley - well that's just down right insulting. Please note we haven't and we won't attract true quality assistants whilst Buckley is at the helm. And the reasons for that are logical.

Lyon? Agree not a fan. However I would just about take anyone else at this point and McGuire might be desperate by end 2018.

Clarkson! It's time for people to get their hands of their dicks on this one. He ain't coming to Collingwood. Why would he? He has a potentially better list in the making at Hawthorn after 12 months of rebuild vs Buckley's 4 year cultural shift. He ain't coming. Does anyone really think that a man of Clarkson's integrity would prostitute himself to the likes of McGuire. Mind you, I guess he could say to Ed, I will come and save your ass if you walk away from the Presidency. Now there's a sweet deal. Oops better take my hand of it.
A bit facetious don't you think? :)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why do you think Bucks got so angry when this story was floated? There is more to this than either party wants to admit. Bucks has two years on paper only.

Who'd know but we can clearly jump to the conclusion that it was because there was merit in the suggestion rather than any other of a myriad of alternatives.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
A bit facetious don't you think? :)

A touch!

However, other than receiving a truck load of obscene cash, no one of any ilk would be attracted to the current day Collingwood model. We are so outdated ie boys club. There are so many other clubs out there who are far more progressive in the way they go about running their respective core businesses. However, if you wan't a final superannuation payout, then by all means, come to Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back