Remove this Banner Ad

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I wasn't even sure if this had been done yet, but it is certaily thoroughly deserved. Caught this from the West which was great to see.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon has moved to embrace the passion of Fremantle fans as he prepares his team for Friday night’s cut throat semi-final against Adelaide. Lyon, known for his business as usual approach to coaching and for keeping a lid on things, said his approach did not mean that he wanted to see restraint from the fans. He just needed them to understand what was required from the players. "It is great to see support for the Dockers. We are here and we represent our members and fans. To see them that enthusiastic and passionate, that is the sort of footy we want to play. We want to be passionate and reflect our membership and fans." "They are special times for them. You have got to work hard to get there so it is fantastic for them and it is great to see. You get a real feeling of what it means to be a part of the Dockers."

It feels like he has been here for years. One of the key differences between Ross and Harvey was that after the elimination final win against Hawthorn in 2010 you got the feeling that the players and club felt like that was their grand moment and they didn't turn up the next week and got flogged. After the fantastic win against Geelong on Saturday which was far better what did Ross say? "This is not a wathershed moment we have achieved nothing yet."

I followed loads of Pre-Season training sessions and was impressed from day one. It was clear to see that the players believed in him and had finally become true professionals.

This is a man who has his sights set only on the Premiership cup and knows what is takes to get there. The best thing the club has ever done.

Concur. Even though I didn't like him much when he was at the Saints, I can't deny that the reason I didn't like him was because I was envious of how hard and disciplined he made the Saints and wished the same for us. He's all business and I hope he's coaching us for a long time, it would be great to create a legend of a coach for the AFL record books and that he belonged to us.

his addition to the club was the final piece of the puzzle turning us into a professional outfit. what he's done in a short period of time to make us as competitive as we are has been phenomenal.

The management also deserve some credit for bringing him here.

How often do we now hear: "well renowned football figure/coach/administrator [insert] has been procured by Fremantle in a secret deal inked last weak... In a move which blind-sighted the media, the club hails the move a positive step towards strengthening it's off-field player management . ".

Toast to Ross Lyon, and toast to the Steve's.

Words can't describe the cajones on the Steve's to get him here the way they did.

More quality from Lyon here
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/147347/default.aspx
Can't believe that tweet from Solomon today about how Harvey should be getting the credit for changing the culture at Freo. Nothing changed till Lyon got here. Not to say Harvey didn't do some good work but the amount of changes that have been made to our training schedules, travel schedules, fitness, conditioning, everything really.

'Dockers' and 'Them' appear a lot.

Does his contract stipulate that he can't say "Freo', 'Fremantle' or 'Us'?

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/147347/default.aspx
Can't believe that tweet from Solomon today about how Harvey should be getting the credit for changing the culture at Freo. Nothing changed till Lyon got here. Not to say Harvey didn't do some good work but the amount of changes that have been made to our training schedules, travel schedules, fitness, conditioning, everything really.

I didn't catch the Solomon tweet. Absolute bullshit though. Upon arriving at the club the first thing Ross has done is to change just about everything and to good affect.

I didn't catch the Solomon tweet. Absolute bullshit though. Upon arriving at the club the first thing Ross has done is to change just about everything and to good affect.

Harvey presided over an excuses culture. It seemed he was powerless, and it showed. We would have lost last week, and it doesn't take a creative mind to speculate what kind of explanations Harvey would have used to deflect criticism:

"McPharlin was injured... that's why Hawkins tore apart the team and kicked 5 goals"...

"we've been traveling interstate the last few weeks... in was only a matter of time before we got tired and capitulated"...

"some of our boys have not had a proper per-season, we can't expect them to perform at finals intensity"...

"our club has a problem with its history, i can't fix that in one year"... etc

The difference with Lyon, is that he actually does things to cover our weaknesses and plans for unforeseen events, he also doesn't accept failure or lack of effort. See our nullification of Geelong's "unstoppable attack", or before that North and their 3 towers etc Instead of excuses we got action and results.

A good illustration from that article E Shed posted:

Context: It is the first time the group has travelled in consecutive weeks under Lyon and the third time this season it has played interstate with a six-day preparation, winning two of those games (against St Kilda and Melbourne).

Lyon: Lyon said it was not an issue for the team this week ahead of a knockout final.

"We don’t emphasise the short breaks, we just understand what we've got to do with them.

"It's first time back-to-back travel, but it's irrelevant really, it's just being mentally tough … prepare really well and give yourself the best chance.

i'd say he'd be very wary about using any kind of parochial language. he's been involved with six or seven clubs. it's a job and i wouldn't be surprised if he treats it as objectively as that because he knows that at any time, the club can treat you like a commodity.

Rated him very highly from early on. I like the approach of doing all the right things all the time, pursuing excellence, leaving no stone unturned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's done almost everything right this year. Our last month has been some of the best footy we've played in a long time, and we are going to finish amongst the top 6 teams in the competition (at least).

The next step will be ensuring we keep this level of football up right through next year. We've always struggled in the years post a finals appearance, so a good 2013 (and beyond) will be another massive tick mark to add to his collection.

that tweet made ME sick in my stomach

Even the folks over on Dockerland are starting to love him. That's probably the most significant achievement he has had thus far :D

It's not a contractual requirement; but it is a grammatical one.

"We are here and we represent our members and fans. To see them that enthusiastic and passionate, that is the sort of footy we want to play."

It seems clear to me from that sentence that:

"WE" denotes "players and coaches"
"THEM" denotes "fans and members".

Heres what Solomon said: Congrats to @Fremantle_FC Makes me sick that the bloke who changed the culture of that club hasn't received any credit! #Markharvey

He was a good player for us but that comment is just crap, Harvey did **** all to address the (now:) ) old culture problems at Freo.

Was shocked when i found out that Harvey was sacked. When I found out Ross was going to replace him, I was ecstatic.

Since his first interview in purple, I have loved everything he has done around the club. Shows what a club can do when it gains a pair of balls.

It's not a contractual requirement; but it is a grammatical one.

"We are here and we represent our members and fans. To see them that enthusiastic and passionate, that is the sort of footy we want to play."

It seems clear to me from that sentence that:

"WE" denotes "players and coaches"
"THEM" denotes "fans and members".

Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as anyone in the direction that we're (all inclusive) heading. I reckon he is our Malthouse of the early Toasters.

But to state that it feels like he's been here for years is getting a wee bit carried away IMO.

It's obvious from his comments that he still feels a disconnect from where he came from and where he is now. He's gotten a little better with that as the season has progressed. Which is fine, bloke's got a job to do, but don't blow it out of proportion.

Bomber Thompson on AFL360 tonight was saying the same thing as Solly. I suppose it was always going to happen.

Harvey was trying to change the culture at the club but I am not sure it was heading in the right way. That over the top niggle crap that Collingwood served up on Friday night was the way the team was going. It just smacks of a coach that has run out of ideas.

Really happy with the effort, the work rate, accountability and most of all the consistency that Lyon expects of the player group. Hope it stays long after he has gone.:thumbsu:

I've seen people on here claim that Suban exhibits faux leadership, well I think Harvey was developing faux hardness at the club.

He made all the right noises about culture change when he started (until the excuseapalooza that was 2011) and the team started playing with a harder edge than they had in the flaky CC years. But it was a false dawn and whenever push came to shove we were as mentally soft as ever.

You can't lose every away game of your tenure against basketcases like Melbourne and Richmond and then try claim you changed the flaky culture at the club.

Harvey presided over an excuses culture. It seemed he was powerless, and it showed. We would have lost last week, and it doesn't take a creative mind to speculate what kind of explanations Harvey would have used to deflect criticism:

"McPharlin was injured... that's why Hawkins tore apart the team and kicked 5 goals"...

"we've been traveling interstate the last few weeks... in was only a matter of time before we got tired and capitulated"...

"some of our boys have not had a proper per-season, we can't expect them to perform at finals intensity"...

"our club has a problem with its history, i can't fix that in one year"... etc

The above is utter claptrap. Unless you, andrew99, have read scannable articles or have linked sources for this, quite frankly you are speaking out of your freckle.

Particularly interested in a source for the bolded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back