Toast Ross Lyon

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
Harvey put an end to the midweek drinking problem, though. And suspensions for on field incidents went from a regular thing under Connolly to hardly ever happening.

I feel like Harvey was the coach we should have had instead of Drum (debuting and developing talented players like Pav + Hase during the dark years) and Lyon is the coach we should have had instead of Connolly (getting the most out of a mature group).

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Harvey had piss poor standards for an AFL team and made little use of great Football spending and resources.

andrew99

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
The above is utter claptrap. Unless you, andrew99, have read scannable articles or have linked sources for this, quite frankly you are speaking out of your freckle.

Particularly interested in a source for the bolded.

This is obviously a sensitive topic for you. From my angle I don't know your posting habits and allegiances, so i can't comment as to what drives your frustration and hostility towards my post.

I will say, that specific line of my post you highlighted is very vague and could be interpreted quite subjectively. Your interpretation obviously hit a nerve.

I was simply pointing out, our reputation for non-performance under pressure, especially away from home. This has been used, and I'm sure if I searched hard enough (or maybe not hard at all) as an excuse to explain how we fail to succeed -- the burden of history.

edit: I do see, you seem to think Harvey actually muttered those words: No. It was a jovial and "fun" ribbing of Harvey's post-match interviews, it was not a direct quote. Sorry for any confusion. We are on the same side mate. :)

kenny whiffen

Senior List
Aug 19, 2009
in the nosebleed seats
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leyton Orient
I've seen people on here claim that Suban exhibits faux leadership, well I think Harvey was developing faux hardness at the club.

He made all the right noises about culture change when he started (until the excuseapalooza that was 2011) and the team started playing with a harder edge than they had in the flaky CC years. But it was a false dawn and whenever push came to shove we were as mentally soft as ever.

You can't lose every away game of your tenure against basketcases like Melbourne and Richmond and then try claim you changed the flaky culture at the club.

Agree with all of this. EVERY new coach we've had has talked about changing the existing culture. It's not the freo culture that's been crap. Our players are not so different to any other group of AFL players they work hard and want success. Our current coach (for the first time in my view) has instilled genuine confidence in the playing group. Neesham, Drum, Connolly and definitely Harvs were all a bit flaky. I reckon they were all flying by the seat of their pants and largely hoping for the best. The Harvs love that lingers in some of factions of the supporter group is completely misplaced. He really had just one good season surrounded by three mediocre ones. And even in the good year we were wobbly away from Subi. I'm still annoyed about how he virtually shut up shop and basically gave up towards the end of 2011, even when we were still hanging on to a place in the 8. I reckon his negative and excuse laden demeanor were what lead to his demise. He figured he had another year anyway and took his foot off the pedal. I'm certain we now have a better prepared coach with more innovative ideas and better communication skills. We're lucky to have Ross The Boss ...Get around him!

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I guess you guys have forgotten how far we've come.

Freo's drinking problem was nearly as bad as West Coast's drug problem.

But that's a bit irrelevant. Any coach worth his salt would put a stop to that. And I would wager that there were still a lot of players under Harvey to get on the piss. You only have to look at the disgraceful skin folds across the board to see that. He can't have improved it much when the standards for player fitness and nutrition were so low.

Danny Cullen

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2012
South West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
I will say, that specific line of my post you highlighted is very vague and could be interpreted quite subjectively.

You posted it. Be more specific if you don't want people to question your vague and subjective comment. Pretty simple.

So no source. Speaking out of your rectum.

I've no sensitivety. Just don't tolerate fools who think its cool for school to bag our previous coach who put his heart and soul into his job.

Don't post s**t.

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
But that's a bit irrelevant. Any coach worth his salt would put a stop to that. And I would wager that there were still a lot of players under Harvey to get on the piss. You only have to look at the disgraceful skin folds across the board to see that. He can't have improved it much when the standards for player fitness and nutrition were so low.
It's not irrelevant. The club was an utter joke when he took over. It was less of a joke when he left.

Freo was a club that put up with Farmer and lauded whiteants like McManus. If you didn't see Harvey putting a stop to that, then it shows how little you know.

BananaOnTheRun

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bomber Thompson on AFL360 tonight was saying the same thing as Solly. I suppose it was always going to happen.

Harvey was trying to change the culture at the club but I am not sure it was heading in the right way. That over the top niggle crap that Collingwood served up on Friday night was the way the team was going. It just smacks of a coach that has run out of ideas.

Really happy with the effort, the work rate, accountability and most of all the consistency that Lyon expects of the player group. Hope it stays long after he has gone.:thumbsu:
both former essendon alumni, as was harves, obviously.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
You posted it. Be more specific if you don't want people to question your vague and subjective comment. Pretty simple.

Pretty obvious that they weren't real quotes from Harves. Don't get shirty just because you misread the post.

I've no sensitivety. Just don't tolerate fools who think its cool for school to bag our previous coach who put his heart and soul into his job.

Don't post s**t.

All our players put their heart and soul in too and they get bagged all the time.

You're going to be pretty busy if you're going to take umbrage every time it happens.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Harvey did do some good. He was full of excuses, a poor match day coach, etc. ... but he did get us headed down a better path. That isn't saying much about Harvey, more how poor the previous coaches were. But Harvey was at least better than those who came before him.

Danny Cullen

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2012
South West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
Pretty obvious that they weren't real quotes from Harves. Don't get shirty just because you misread the post.

All our players put their heart and soul in too and they get bagged all the time.

You're going to be pretty busy if you're going to take umbrage every time it happens.

Wasn't talking to you. Thanks anyway.

andrew99

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

I don't understand your criticism. The comment was irrelevant and nonsensical anyway. My mannerisms made this very clear. It was not intended to be "questioned". It was a joke.
And I though I had a low EQ. ;)

Liven up.

Yes. Nothing wrong with that. I have an opinion, about Harvey and I'm entitled too and will defend that opinion. Sorry if I'm too strident for you.

Also, the general atmosphere on this board is suitable to make well-intended criticisms of our club, and it's past. This is not Dockerland. If you want a group of sympathizers who cuddle you , and dare not speak badly about Harvey, you've come to the wrong place.

Open, and upbeat posting is the best policy IMO. I'm just having a good time. I really don't care if people think I'm some kind of hipster trying to ride the "cool" bandwagon of hate against someone you clearly have respect for and admire.

Simply, IMO, Harvey was not a good coach. I do not rate his performance or "persona"as anywhere near the level required to get us a premiership. Really, from my perspective, we were a weak team, captained by a flaky leader. It's a bottomless argument anyway. We all have our opinions and no one is going to back down. That's life.

Now focus on the game and enjoy yourself, you seem overly antagonized by (admittedly crude) but irrelevant banter. If this is a tendency of yours stay away from BF.

andrew99

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks for the "defense" , I hope it wasn't needed anyway.

If I took offense to every comment that disparaged players or club officials I was personally supportive of (the critics of Dawson and Pearce/mzungu make me feel itchy to respond), I would be here all day, locked up in endless chatter.

There are going to be different opinions and perspectives. As an adult, and especially member of BF you just have to deal with it.

Danny Cullen

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2012
South West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
Danny Cullen is Mark Harvey.

Or his mum.

In case anybody didn't know, you're doing something aren't you?

Somewhere aren't you.

In case you didn't know, there's a big difference between a wank sock and a real woman. Suggest you talk to your sock.

shenanigans

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lyon will no doubt in my mind complete what Mark Harvey started in terms of changing our culture. Obviously he's trying to emulate the Bloods culture from the swans what with the Stone and Kirk appointments, the ruthless and disciplined way we play, remember even hearing something about him giving a pep talk to the boys about the bloods culture and how the 05 went about it.

On the day he walked in and confronted the WA media in that conference room you could tell he was a winner. You could see what Harvey was trying to do, but jesus, his communication skills were very poor, I thought he was too laid back, I didn't think he could implement the changes needed, maybe apart from on field success, Freo needed to carry them forward long-term.

Proud Bogan

Club Legend
Suspended
Jan 26, 2005
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
In case anybody didn't know, you're doing something aren't you?

Somewhere aren't you.

In case you didn't know, there's a big difference between a wank sock and a real woman. Suggest you talk to your sock.

You actually spent real time thinking that up and posting it??

I mean really??

Not interested.

And yet, you are here.

Danny Cullen

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2012
South West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
You seem a bit uppity for someone that only joined two weeks ago

I'm sorry. Should I have joined three weeks ago?? Maybe one? One year? Six months?

Did they only create this place when I was asleep or something??

Bugger off.

Wasn't talking to you either.

andrew99

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm sorry. Should I have joined three weeks ago?? Maybe one? One year? Six months?

Bugger off.

bro, just relax, geez.
Take a chill pill.
Most of the guys around here don't take this place too seriously.

Dockerland transients these days....

Proud Bogan

Club Legend
Suspended
Jan 26, 2005
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle

Bugger off.

You've got you knickers in a twist over a post which was clearly not utilising "direct" quotes from Harvey.

And you are clearly shirty that some of us don't share your view on his coaching ability.

Yes, Harvey put his heart and soul into the job. But he simply wasn't up to it.

Especially when you make a direct comparison between him and Lyon.

Honest plodder versus professional.

It is as simple as that.

Back