Toast Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Think about how stupid your post is. You are applauding Harvey for transforming a joke of a Footy club to "less of a joke." That's not how I would define a good coach.
Think about how stupid you are.

Do you actually believe that Ross Lyon would have come to a club where mid week drinking was tolerated? Where off field incidents were brushed off by the club until they got ridiculously out of hand? Where attitudes to training attendance were as low as they were under Connolly?

Harvey laid the ground work. He wasn't able to fulfill the promise, but he did a heap of good stuff. Freo in the past had constantly sought out experienced coaches and been turned down every time. Had Harvey not done a lot to make the place more professional, Lyon would never have shown up.

You strike me as a very new supporter who has forgotten how embarrassing the club could be under Connolly. Headland and family ranting in the press. The coach taking the field and arguing with the opposition after games. Senior players taking younger players out drinking and getting into fights with WAFL players. Senior players getting drunk and fighting police. Subordination from the playing group and constant white anting from senior players.

Harvey laid the ground work. He wasn't able to fulfill the promise, but he did a heap of good stuff. Freo in the past had constantly sought out experienced coaches and been turned down every time. Had Harvey not done a lot to make the place more professional, Lyon would never have shown up.
I have no idea about the drinking, so I'm not going to quote that bit. However, I do tend to agree with you on this bit Clay.

I'm not in the full-on anti-Harvey camp, not too many are though to be fair. I certainly believe Harvey started the current change at the club, but then again every coach can claim they started change. Harvey's downfall, in my opinion, was that he didn't appear to have the authority to say "my way or GTFO". Ross clearly does have that authority. I cannot think of one single player on our list who has gone backwards this year. Ross has the authority and belief in what he does, and he has the strength to say it. Harvey definitely started the change, but Ross has just fast-tracked it.

And, whatever happened to Gentleman Jeff? He used to be a bit of fun.

I have no idea about the drinking, so I'm not going to quote that bit. However, I do tend to agree with you on this bit Clay.

I'm not in the full-on anti-Harvey camp, not too many are though to be fair. I certainly believe Harvey started the current change at the club, but then again every coach can claim they started change. Harvey's downfall, in my opinion, was that he didn't appear to have the authority to say "my way or GTFO". Ross clearly does have that authority. I cannot think of one single player on our list who has gone backwards this year. Ross has the authority and belief in what he does, and he has the strength to say it. Harvey definitely started the change, but Ross has just fast-tracked it.

And, whatever happened to Gentleman Jeff? He used to be a bit of fun.

Good points from yourself (covers my thoughts as well) and Clay

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/dockers-drop-six/story-e6frf9if-1111114307498
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/66498/default.aspx
http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/clouds-over-peakes-future-at-freo-20090904-fag5.html

It was a big problem at the club and no action was taken until Mark Harvey was in charge.

When Harvs went to Brissy, I thought yeah that's about right.

Do you actually believe that Ross Lyon would have come to a club where mid week drinking was tolerated? Where off field incidents were brushed off by the club until they got ridiculously out of hand? Where attitudes to training attendance were as low as they were under Connolly? ...

Had Harvey not done a lot to make the place more professional, Lyon would never have shown up.

Nothing I have read or heard suggests Lyon perceived any professionalism in Freo's "football character" as opposed to the professionalism he perceived in Freo's administration. Fremantle compared favourably in that respect with Melbourne - which reportedly offered Lyon a longer contract on more money than Freo did - and with St Kilda - which was technically insolvent, spent less on football than Port Adelaide and next to nothing on recruitment and development (until this year, courtesy of AFL handouts).

When questioned on Melb radio last Friday about the bigger picture he confronted at Freo, Lyon made these points:

- Fremantle are a serious AFL club, a big club, 43,000 members.
- Really big corporate sponsors.
- Really strong balance sheet.
- Worked their way out of $4 million debt.
- Have a few million in the bank.
- Off-field Freo are really strong.
- On-field lagging behind that.
- Needed to develop the football character that was going to earn the respect of the football community.
- Needed to develop a brand that was going to stand up under the fiercest heat.

www.mix.com.au/shows/dead-set-legends/blog/listen-in-ross-lyon-speaks-ahead-of-massive-finals-game-for-fremantle/20120907-h53n.html

There is a lot of truth in this statement I read recently:

"Lyon is not only the team coach, but also the club coach."
"[H]e leads by example...and [in] his consistency and clarity of message to both the staff group and the playing group about what's required," Rosich said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...way-at-fremantle/story-e6frg1xu-1226467655821

Nothing I have read or heard suggests Lyon perceived any professionalism in Freo's "football character" as opposed to the professionalism he perceived in Freo's administration. Fremantle compared favourably in that respect with Melbourne - which reportedly offered Lyon a longer contract on more money than Freo did - and with St Kilda - which was technically insolvent, spent less on football than Port Adelaide and next to nothing on recruitment and development (until this year, courtesy of AFL handouts).

When questioned on Melb radio last Friday about the bigger picture he confronted at Freo, Lyon made these points:

- Fremantle are a serious AFL club, a big club, 43,000 members.
- Really big corporate sponsors.
- Really strong balance sheet.
- Worked their way out of $4 million debt.
- Have a few million in the bank.
- Off-field Freo are really strong.
- On-field lagging behind that.
- Needed to develop the football character that was going to earn the respect of the football community.
- Needed to develop a brand that was going to stand up under the fiercest heat.

www.mix.com.au/shows/dead-set-legends/blog/listen-in-ross-lyon-speaks-ahead-of-massive-finals-game-for-fremantle/20120907-h53n.html

There is a lot of truth in this statement I read recently:

"Lyon is not only the team coach, but also the club coach."
"[H]e leads by example...and [in] his consistency and clarity of message to both the staff group and the playing group about what's required," Rosich said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...way-at-fremantle/story-e6frg1xu-1226467655821
I doubt if we had been plagued with the problems that affected the playing group up until the end of 2008 Lyon would have even fielded the call from Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't think Danny likes us very much, this was his response to my comment on the main board that those talking the loudest about Freo were not to be seen much on our club board.

No. 1 offender has raised his head.

Harvey's downfall, in my opinion, was that he didn't appear to have the authority to say "my way or GTFO".

He didn't have the authority to say 'my way or GTFO' because his way was very different to that of what he expected from the players. I've heard Harvey described as 'a guy who was happy to do the bare minimum' on more than a few occasions. It starts to wear thin after a while. Particularly when dealing with and disciplining groups.

If Lyon started to drop off with his planning and preparation the results would be the same.

in summary Harvey did a better job than Connolly (who was effectively incompetent).
But Lyon is elite, he will get reward for effort.

If there is a disconnect between Lyon and Fremantle, that will be removed with further success.

I feel nothing for Harvey. Had we waited out his contract that would have been another year without success.
I don't see that as a positive... another year in the wilderness just so we don't sack a coach, life is too short!

Did he actually tackle/solve that problem?
Genuine question

Always got the impression he was too matesy with the blokes you had in the first half of his tenure (good mates with Solly/Barnes/MJ, who were all fairly well renowned as 'good old boys' @ Essendon; along with Taz, and Kepler reportedly liked a sip as well). ANd probably contributed to it, rather than the other way around.

Jeez, just read all these again and boy they bring back bad memories.

But from that 1st story, gave us the debuts of Ibbo? Brock O'Brien (bad luck) and a host of other names. Of course most of which aren't with us anymore.
Memories of Dessie and Son son getting loaded in Leederville or something as well etc. Not good.

thank goodness those days are well and truly behind us.

You obviously don't.
No u
Haha I was going to mention it after I did it - awesome observation skills yakka
Yeah, much better job, It looks legit now. :)

Didnt Harvey get punched out at a Darwin nightclub, after a game in the NT?

Him + Taz + Solly & Barnes allegedly got into some sort of scuffle, yeah.
With a local MP or something?

That's a good idea, let's discuss an incident we know nothing about and use it to keep slurring Harvey while pretending we've moved on. Value :thumbsu:.

I'm not sure why the hate on me... I think Freo were absolutely spot on to get rid of Harvey, very very big fan of Lyon. No idea of what I've stepped into with the politics around here obviously!

*backs away from angry mob

Remove this Banner Ad

Back