Toast Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints fans blame him for their poor developing, recruiting and drafting, bloody hell don't they have people to do that for him?

Where were the cobblers to do the cobbling?

Ross Lyon is coach, his job is to come up with a game plan and to motivate the players. It wouldn't surprise me while at the saints they made him the cleaner as well.

Saints fans blame him for their poor developing, recruiting and drafting, bloody hell don't they have people to do that for him?

Ross Lyon is coach, his job is to come up with a game plan and to motivate the players. It wouldn't surprise me while at the saints they made him the cleaner as well.

I know. Het gets blamed for the vending machine in the lobby not working.

The move was win win for both clubs in the end.

Not sure the Saints are looking like winners out of the deal yet.

In theory getting a 'development' type coach in to rebuild should have been a win for them, but I'm starting to have a few doubts over whether they got the right man.

Must be a little concerning that he traded away their 1st round pick for a 'ready to go' KPP who is currently developing in the VFL because apparently he still isn't ready to go at age 22, then trading another 1st round pick for another 22yo who's played one game so far, as well as trading for another recycled player in Dennis Lane.

To spend the entire off-season trading for the now, only to then turn around 5 games into the season and announce you need to start a rebuild looks eerily like the same misjudgement Harvey made when he first started at Freo.

Ross would be pretty pleased with his lot at the moment. He's got a development academy and recruitment department to work with, no debts, is paid properly, only has to drive ten minutes to the club rather than the 2.5 hour round trip to seaford. Decent list to work with free of the kind of disposal-error merchants he had clogging the saints list. Dude is on clover.

Not sure the Saints are looking like winners out of the deal yet.

In theory getting a 'development' type coach in to rebuild should have been a win for them, but I'm starting to have a few doubts over whether they got the right man.

Must be a little concerning that he traded away their 1st round pick for a 'ready to go' KPP who is currently developing in the VFL because apparently he still isn't ready to go at age 22, then trading another 1st round pick for another 22yo who's played one game so far, as well as trading for another recycled player in Dennis Lane.

To spend the entire off-season trading for the now, only to then turn around 5 games into the season and announce you need to start a rebuild looks eerily like the same misjudgement Harvey made when he first started at Freo.

*COUGH* VOSSY *COUGH*

You have to remember when G Thomas was coaching he was a complete control freak, wanted full control of the playing group, list management and price list at the canteen. Nutjob.

The Aints were used to this behaviour and allowed carte blanche when de boss signed on

What those charming folk over at Seaford don't understand, is in Bond we trust

I'd like to think Ross has learned from his experience with the Saints and is more open to giving youth opportunity and recognises that they need to be played for the good of the list.

Going back Adelaide final, it sounded like ZacC was played with an eye to the future, from memory.

I'd like to think Ross has learned from his experience with the Saints and is more open to giving youth opportunity and recognises that they need to be played for the good of the list.

Going back Adelaide final, it sounded like ZacC was played with an eye to the future, from memory.

Bloody expensive lesson though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just happen to be in France at the moment and just happened to be talking to a Saints supporter while waiting in line this morning. He stated that he thought we had got a great coach in Ross and wished him well. Absolutely no bitterness to Ross for leaving rather bitterness to the club for letting him go.

I just happen to be in France at the moment and just happened to be talking to a Saints supporter while waiting in line this morning. He stated that he thought we had got a great coach in Ross and wished him well. Absolutely no bitterness to Ross for leaving rather bitterness to the club for letting him go.

About 10,000 ex-St Kilda members feel the same.

Have a great time in the old country!

Just to clarify my earlier post I think it was win win because by the sounds of things Ross was burnt out at Saint Kilda. To work so hard and go so close twice who knows how hard that was on him and the team. Sometimes a fresh start is best for all concerned.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that Watters is a win for The Saints although i suspect he will make a pretty good senior coach in the long run. Not as good as Ross but few are :)

Yes, the real life Saints fans I have spoken to (as opposed to the BF ones) have been very supportive of Lyon, thought us getting him was all a bit dodgey, but wished him well. They were also looking forward to a change of gameplan I must admit and thought his style was boring.

Yes, the real life Saints fans I have spoken to (as opposed to the BF ones) have been very supportive of Lyon, thought us getting him was all a bit dodgey, but wished him well. They were also looking forward to a change of gameplan I must admit and thought his style was boring.

Do they like his new game plan now where he has a lot more talent to execute it ?

I recall gerard Healy saying early last year; " has anybody ever seen a more attacking Ross lyon Coached football side , than the Dockers. "

IIRC, Healy qualified his question to his fellow panellists with " it's amazing what a different squad can do with a game plan ".

Do they like his new game plan now where he has a lot more talent to execute it ?

I recall gerard Healy saying early last year; " has anybody ever seen a more attacking Ross lyon Coached football side , than the Dockers. "

IIRC, Healy qualified his question to his fellow panellists with " it's amazing what a different squad can do with a game plan ".

Lyon tried to get the saints to attack to complete his game plan that's why they gave up their first round draft pick for the lighting quick Andrew Lovett. I have no doubt they would've won a premiership with Lovett that year had he kept it in his pants "that" night. At the Dockers Lyon has Hill and D.Pearce at his disposal.

Attacking pace beats zones and presses everyday of the week.

Listened to James Hird this morning on SEN, he was asked what Goddard had brought to the side. Apart from the usual training discipline, experience blah blah. He said that Goddard was able to direct the team in defensive pressure, especially in tight matches. Credited this to Ross Lyon.

Listened to James Hird this morning on SEN, he was asked what Goddard had brought to the side. Apart from the usual training discipline, experience blah blah. He said that Goddard was able to direct the team in defensive pressure, especially in tight matches. Credited this to Ross Lyon.

He didn't hold back did he? Must have mentioned Ross 4 or 5 times in the space of 20 seconds

(at 05:30 or thereabouts)

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Crunchtime-Essendon-coach-James-Hird/8192

Heck no. The general meme is that we are playing Lyon style football, same as at Saints. Doubt if they would watch a Freo game, which wouldn't stop anyone from having an opinion, Robert Walls style.

There's a lot of positive media spin on Lyon at the moment. As there should be :thumbsu:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...moored-in-misery/story-e6frg21l-1226669038548

In clashes with Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and North Melbourne, Fremantle has conceded only 43.5 points per game. The Bombers of 1989 are the only side since 1966 with such a points-against profile in a four-week block.
After a shaky start to Lyon's debut season, the Dockers' suffocation techniques are now sending shockwaves through the competition.
Thirteen rounds into the season, they are conceding 66.5 points a game - 10.1 fewer than any rival. They allow opponents to go inside 50m only 43.4 times a game - 2.8 fewer than any other side.
What former Melbourne coach Mark Neeld declared in his first press conference is a reality out west - Fremantle is the hardest team to play against.

Sides who win the ball behind centre in games against the Dockers face a monumental task just to advance up the ground.
From Rounds 9-13, the Dockers have allowed rival teams to execute a chain of possession from defensive 50m to forward 50m only 11.9 per cent of time, ranked No.1 in the competition.
From defensive midfield to inside 50m, it's a paltry 21.1 per cent - ranked No.1 - and from a centre clearance to inside 50m, it's 44.1 per cent, again ranked first. To put the latter stat into perspective, Geelong is the next best at 60 per cent.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/inside-the-cult-of-ross-20130622-2opjv.html

Premierships are so hard to win as Lyon has discovered over the journey, but the next best thing for any team's supporters is that your team plays with a desperation and intent that leaves you walking away content, no matter what the result. That is what his teams are all about and what Melbourne supporters are so desperately keen to see their team produce. We will never know what a Ross Lyon-led Demons side would be playing like 18 months down the track, but it's fair to say they wouldn't be in the position they are in now.
Melbourne's woes would never have entered Ross Lyon's mind, but I have no doubt that being a premiership coach has. A top-four finish for Freo looks on the cards and with a bit of luck with injury, the Dockers look to be the wildcard in the pack come September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back