Universal Love Ross The Boss 2014 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Had the game been a case of one side being overawed by the occasion and choking then the game would have been much tighter than it was, with regular lead changes and going down to the wire.

Disagree. We were clearly overawed in the first qtr imo, which meant the game never had the chance to get tight.

Not all chokes happen in the last qtr, a choke at the start of a game is still a choke.

Except that's not true.

yeah, there's three points in it. irregardless, as has been said above, if he had have kicked those goals, i don't have any doubt we would have won it. moot point, though. we pooed our trousers and instead its a very expensive, deeply disappointing lesson to take into the next season.

Amberley Chenin Blanc, Willough Bridge Sauv Blanc or Merlot

Disagree. We were clearly overawed in the first qtr imo, which meant the game never had the chance to get tight.

Not all chokes happen in the last qtr, a choke at the start of a game is still a choke.
The game got tight late in the third, when Fremantle got within their smallest margin. Hawthorn then kicked 4 unanswered goals to be 31 points in front half way through the last. Fremantle didn't score for over 20 minutes.

To argue that missed shots early in the first changed the outcome of the game is ludicrous. For one, if Fyfe's first miss was a goal there is minimal chance he takes the second mark and has a second shot.

Fremantle were only down as much as two goals in the first. Plenty of teams have come back from bigger first quarter margins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game got tight late in the third, when Fremantle got within their smallest margin. Hawthorn then kicked 4 unanswered goals to be 31 points in front half way through the last. Fremantle didn't score for over 20 minutes.

To argue that missed shots early in the first changed the outcome of the game is ludicrous. For one, if Fyfe's first miss was a goal there is minimal chance he takes the second mark and has a second shot.

Fremantle were only down as much as two goals in the first. Plenty of teams have come back from bigger first quarter margins.
Ahh, where a Sci-Fi nut when you need one. i am sure someone can tell me how predictable future results are for altered past events.

IMHO. Yes we were overawed by the occasion. Yes we lost confidence. But we got done by Hawthorne earlier in the year. And I told people, if we play the Hawks in the granny were in trouble. Do I regard any of these statements as definitive? No.
But, next year we have to find a way to beat the Hawks.

Ahh, where a Sci-Fi nut when you need one. i am sure someone can tell me how predictable future results are for altered past events.

IMHO. Yes we were overawed by the occasion. Yes we lost confidence. But we got done by Hawthorne earlier in the year. And I told people, if we play the Hawks in the granny were in trouble. Do I regard any of these statements as definitive? No.
But, next year we have to find a way to beat the Hawks.

Well for a start, not withstanding our now revealed wounded list in the grand final, we have addressed what we have identified as our biggest shortcoming, to take us one step further in 2014.
The recruitment of Sylvia and Gumbleton is aimed at the goal kicking power we lacked against Hawthorn.
There were other factors of course but the glaring weakness was another KPF and another accurate kick in the forward line.
A major concession is Ross Lyon's statement that we may have to give something up in order to strengthen our scoring potential; That can be interpreted as being less defence minded and more attack focussed.
They have a strategy and are working to it.

I can't agree with your importance placed on our meeting at Launceston earlier, we were decimated in that game.

I wouldn't call it shatting ourselves exactly, to me a kinder way of putting it is that it proves that the GF exposes and magnifies whatever chinks players have in their game.
As Terry Venables once said, the first thing you forget is the last thing you learn, meaning under extreme pressure the things that don't come natural to you that you have tried to iron out of your game re-emerge at crucial times.

Ballantyne lacks composure
Danyle Pearce makes crap decisions and tries for the miracle play
Zac Dawson gives away stupid free kicks (albeit some shocking decisions by the maggots)
Duffield refuses to throw himself across a guys boot on the goal-line to smother
Clarke goes soft and drop his head

All influenced the outcome, all just chinks in the armour of really good players that got exposed.

Disagree - a mismatch in talls was the biggest issue.

Hawthorn's two most decisive players for their win were Lake and Gunston. Lake picked off Fremantle's forward entries with ease because he didn't have a dangerous matchup to mind, while Fremantle couldn't do the same in their defensive 50 making it easier for their least important tall forward to get free and kick goals.

However this has little to do with Lyon as he had no alternatives at the selection table. Ultimately it was a list management issue, which the club has attempted to solve in the recent trade and draft period.

Nope, completely wrong, undisciplined, our structures weren't (wasn't) adhered to!

I wouldn't call it shatting ourselves exactly, to me a kinder way of putting it is that it proves that the GF exposes and magnifies whatever chinks players have in their game.
As Terry Venables once said, the first thing you forget is the last thing you learn, meaning under extreme pressure the things that don't come natural to you that you have tried to iron out of your game re-emerge at crucial times.

Ballantyne lacks composure
Danyle Pearce makes crap decisions and tries for the miracle play
Zac Dawson gives away stupid free kicks (albeit some shocking decisions by the maggots)
Duffield refuses to throw himself across a guys boot on the goal-line to smother
Clarke goes soft and drop his head

All influenced the outcome, all just chinks in the armour of really good players that got exposed.

Geez the Duffield one makes my skin tighten up. One of the weakest efforts all year in one of the most important times of the year. On the goal line no less. Spur would have killed the ball and possibly Gunston if it were him.:mad:

Nope, completely wrong, undisciplined, our structures weren't (wasn't) adhered to!

What structures weren't adhered to? The structures were at a disadvantage because Hawthorn had the numerical advantage in talls both in defence and up forward.

What structures? The structures were at a disadvantage because Hawthorn had the numerical advantage in tall both in defence and up forward.

Prezactly.

We knew we needed talls prior to the season start. That's why we tried to recruit Gumbleton last year.
We knew the same thing the year before and that's why we went after Mitch Clark.
It cost us the 2013 GF and that's why we went after Gumby again, only this time we succeeded.

That's what I like about the new management, we address deficiencies.

This year I thought Clarkson had to win the grand final or else, one grand final win with that squad is
a poor result. Hawthorn would of lost patience with him, another team may have poached him.
We have two years experience to Lyon's leadership, and already we have played in a GF. The squad has
been turned over that quickly in five years, and credit to Fremantle are starting to build a foundation of
sustained success.
In the next two years I would expect us to make another GF, and with more bonding, experience, composure, hunger, and more respect from the AFL, be a team to be feared by all.
I expect the next five years of recruiting to be filling holes in our list, the nucleus is already there.

Didn't RTB make a rather pointed comment about players not following structures in a Presser after the loss. I think it might have been about an individual or two specifically.

However, I think that we need to learn how to beat the Hawks. The're the only team we haven't beaten since RTB took over.

Anyhow the Rookie Draft is under way

Disagree - a mismatch in talls was the biggest issue.

Hawthorn's two most decisive players for their win were Lake and Gunston. Lake picked off Fremantle's forward entries with ease because he didn't have a dangerous matchup to mind, while Fremantle couldn't do the same in their defensive 50 making it easier for their least important tall forward to get free and kick goals.

However this has little to do with Lyon as he had no alternatives at the selection table. Ultimately it was a list management issue, which the club has attempted to solve in the recent trade and draft period.

I agree on gunston, but if you want to blame anyone for lake... blame Mayne, who ross has gone on record saying that mayne didnt follow team structures and allowed lake to get far too free..... anyway, I think the occassion was the main reason, Hayden Ballantyne couldnt have played worse if he tried, Nat Fyfe was awesome, but lost his kicking boot and too much was left to too few..... it still staggers me that we could win the midfield battle so convincingly, yet lose the game. Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow and Crowley all won their positions, yet we lose the game...... I tell you what, Balla had better shut up next year and try to redeem himself, because the rubbish he dealt up that game is as bad as anything I have ever seen from anyone in the big dance

uh oh... here come the tears again :(

Didn't RTB make a rather pointed comment about players not following structures in a Presser after the loss. I think it might have been about an individual or two specifically.

However, I think that we need to learn how to beat the Hawks. The're the only team we haven't beaten since RTB took over.

Anyhow the Rookie Draft is under way

yep, pointed the finger directly at chris mayne, which at the time i thought was harsh, but then i forced myself to watch the game again.... Mayne let lake do whatever the hell he wanted... staggering performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back