Universal Love Ross The Boss 2014 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Which players would start the year on notice due to their GF performance? Mayne, Ballas and Duff? We've recruited players or there were injured players (eg, Clancee for duff) who would happily step right in there place.

yep, pointed the finger directly at chris mayne, which at the time i thought was harsh, but then i forced myself to watch the game again.... Mayne let lake do whatever the hell he wanted... staggering performance

I seem to recall his comments about players not adhering to forward structures were not confined to Mayne but applied equally to Pav.

Hodge's leadership on the day in directing Lake where to stand was outstanding.

Geez the Duffield one makes my skin tighten up. One of the weakest efforts all year in one of the most important times of the year. On the goal line no less. Spur would have killed the ball and possibly Gunston if it were him.:mad:

Yep. Compare it to Heath Shaw running down Riewoldt to smother in their GF.

not for me. we pretty much lost by the two goals that nat missed in the first quarter. goals he would ordinarily kick going by his conversion rates. he kicks those, we have the run of play too. we shat ourselves, pure and simple.

Agree with that. No matter what match ups the coaching staff put out we got enough ball in the first half but kicked 1 goal. No team wins games kicking 1.6 plus a host of out on the full in a half.

I agree on gunston, but if you want to blame anyone for lake... blame Mayne, who ross has gone on record saying that mayne didnt follow team structures and allowed lake to get far too free.....
Yep RTB was not impressed

Hayden Ballantyne couldnt have played worse if he tried, ....
....I tell you what, Balla had better shut up next year and try to redeem himself, because the rubbish he dealt up that game is as bad as anything I have ever seen from anyone in the big dance
There are a couple of reports that he was sick that day. Always a dilemma do you pull the sick and try to win with someone who is only 70% of them or hope that they can perform at 80% and will do a better job.

uh oh... here come the tears again :(
Don't start. I'll join you.:(

Agree with that. No matter what match ups the coaching staff put out we got enough ball in the first half but kicked 1 goal. No team wins games kicking 1.6 plus a host of out on the full in a half.
100%. And except for the Gu to steady the ship it would have been 0.6. I am still un impressed that a half back flanker/tagger had to come forward and show the rest how it's done.

There are a couple of reports that he was sick that day. Always a dilemma do you pull the sick and try to win with someone who is only 70% of them or hope that they can perform at 80% and will do a better job.

Don't start. I'll join you.:(

100%. And except for the Gu to steady the ship it would have been 0.6. I am still un impressed that a half back flanker/tagger had to come forward and show the rest how it's done.

But Mzungu lacks skill and cant kick:rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

We came so close last year and I feel we have great experience and mix of personel to go close again in 2014. However I do feel if at the end of 2014 if our list isn't managed correctly (ie some veterans retire or pushed into retirement) then we could have a bit of a St Kilda situation as lists age very fast.

I don't buy that Lyon's gameplan and mentallity is hard to maintain I actually feel that it is very simple- get fit and give 100% and I think most professional athletes would enjoy that environment actually they seem to thrive in it.

Whatever the list situation is I'd like Lyon to be offered a contract extension as I feel he gets the best out of most players and would like to see how he goes getting the best out of a younger/developing list. Imagine a team that had spent an entire career under Lyon!

yep, pointed the finger directly at chris mayne, which at the time i thought was harsh, but then i forced myself to watch the game again.... Mayne let lake do whatever the hell he wanted... staggering performance

Did he? Do you have evidence of that? In his post match presser, Lyon dismisses the idea of a "witch hunt" and on 2 separate occasions, he said that there was more than one bloke responsible. I'm skeptical that Lyon would single out Mayne. It's not his style.

Lyon Said...

"Certainly no witch hunt here. We had a structure in place that should have been adhered to, but wasn't. So, we paid the penalty. Those guys know who they are and we've spoken about that already. But there's no witch hunt, what's the point?"

It's about discipline under pressure to do what we want. He's a pretty handy player to suck into congestion and leave him rolling off, but that's just feedback for the guys that were involved in that."

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2013-09-30/grand-final-ross-lyon-post-match

Skip forward to the 9:30 mark.

Did he? Do you have evidence of that? In his post match presser, Lyon dismisses the idea of a "witch hunt" and on 2 separate occasions, he said that there was more than one bloke responsible. I'm skeptical that Lyon would single out Mayne. It's not his style.

Lyon Said...

"Certainly no witch hunt here. We had a structure in place that should have been adhered to, but wasn't. So, we paid the penalty. Those guys know who they are and we've spoken about that already. But there's no witch hunt, what's the point?"

It's about discipline under pressure to do what we want. He's a pretty handy player to suck into congestion and leave him rolling off, but that's just feedback for the guys that were involved in that."

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2013-09-30/grand-final-ross-lyon-post-match

Skip forward to the 9:30 mark.

It was on SEN the day after, I remeber vivdly because I had a mate stop the car from my drinking the night before.... the words were to the effect "Chris would be disappointed, he didnt adhere to some of our structures which assisted lake" I will try and find the audio. Again I thought it was harsh until I forced myself to re-watch the game

A guy I work with knows Hayden well (His son and Balla are best mates)... anyway he hasnt mentioned anything about him being unwell.... he has mentioned that balla became a bit of a recluse though, as he was coping a lot of baggings from randoms in the street.

from what i have seen of him of the game, illness doesnt make you wait for a ball to bounce rather than take the mark, or skew the ball off of the side of the boot... lets not forget he also flawed franklin with a bloody good bump... i dont reckon it was illness, i think the occassion got him..... only hayden would know that though

It was on SEN the day after, I remeber vivdly because I had a mate stop the car from my drinking the night before.... the words were to the effect "Chris would be disappointed, he didnt adhere to some of our structures which assisted lake" I will try and find the audio. Again I thought it was harsh until I forced myself to re-watch the game
I think it was his 6pr interview, not SEN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Watching the replay Ballas wasn't as bad as people make out but it seems to be a big footy bandwagon so lets all jump on it.

How bad are people making him out to be? He had a poor game. From the club's own website:

his performance in the Grand Final will drive him over the off and pre seasons

What structures weren't adhered to? The structures were at a disadvantage because Hawthorn had the numerical advantage in talls both in defence and up forward.

Our forwards didn't lead up to the ball, forcing the ball carrier to bomb it and kick the ball on Gibson and lakes heads.

Sorry but ballatyne, Walters, mayne, and Deboer lets us down badly.

How bad are people making him out to be? He had a poor game. From the club's own website:

his performance in the Grand Final will drive him over the off and pre seasons

The old cliche poor kicking is poor football and yes Balla's was guilty of that but his endeavour was right up there and like I said if the ball goes through the big sticks he is a hero

Agree. Watching the replay Ballas wasn't as bad as people make out but it seems to be a big footy bandwagon so lets all jump on it.

He had an absolute mare, tried to play himself into the game and certainly didn't hide..........looked spent to be honest.

Our forwards didn't lead up to the ball, forcing the ball carrier to bomb it and kick the ball on Gibson and lakes heads.

Sorry but ballatyne, Walters, mayne, and Deboer lets us down badly.

I'll raise you one - Danyle Pearce

On a positive note my 3 best -

1- Fyfe made of some good stuff. To come back and play the game he did after the 2 misses is rare. Didn't go into his shell, just kept at it.

2- Mundy, one of the cleanest ball handlers in the AFL. Devastating on his right, efficient on his left. Rolls Royce.

3- Johnson, played injured and was our best defender and hurt Hawthorn both ways. Seriously matured into a great footballer.

Well.....I thought Ballas was bad, but not in a Leon Davis bad sort of way. Ballas had the opportunity to contribute significantly - kick 2 or 3 goals himself and set up a couple more. It's just whenever he got the ball he shanked it, or whenever he got near the ball he fell over.

On 2014 - shame our only home pre-season game is in Joondalup, at 4pm on a Tuesday. Probably be 40 degrees as well. What ******** in the AFL scheduled that?

Mmm. While I don't doubt that Ross will certainly be offered and likely agree to an extension of a couple of years past his initial 4 year deal, I just can't see him coaching us for a decade. Quite aside from his public statements that while he enjoys Perth he does miss living in Melbourne, I think his incredibly intense game plan is simply too enervating to work over a long period of time.

Perhaps if he does get that elusive GF win with us, my thoughts may change - one of the main factors behind the Saints collapsing from 2011 onwards was probably that they had reached the very edge of glory, still not done it and had nothing left in the tank to give or nothing worth defending. Or maybe, with a proper development program in place, Ross may want to see if he can shepherd the side through losing key members of our spine and keep us thereabouts a la Geelong and Sydney.

I still think he won't stay long past 2016/17, though, whatever might happen.

If a club can maintain the intensity of a gameplan for 2-3 years, it can sustain it longer term. Sure it is taxing on the players and may shorten their careers by a few years, but they will know they have got the very best out of themselves during their career and "left nothing on the table". But as you say maintaining it longer term is all about the whole club - its culture, players development and management, recruitment, continual motivation and goal setting/realisation etc. If we have the depth (which we are certainly showing) we can manage certain senior players well through their last years, whilst also developing that depth on the big stage.

Cannot wait for 2014 to start and see how we have further progressed.

I too think he will be with us another term and 2016/7 is probably about right.

Thought I'd bump this thread. Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere. But Ross, last week against West Coast, has coached 100 games for Fremantle. Have to say that went very quick. Given the way he came in as coach in 2011, he has turned this club into a competitive force and has to be the best coach we have had in the club's history. 67 wins, 32 losses and the one draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back