Universal Love Ross The Boss 2014 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy that Ross is trying new methods. Giving some control to line coaches is a great move. The fact it hasn't worked is disappointing but you learn more through failure than anything else.
I don't think we're entering a Melobourne era of shite footy for a decade.
He/we need to change to improve.

The extension till 2020 was exactly the right course of action. If he was only contracted a few more years he'd still be going full tilt at a premiership, severely damaging our future prospects.

At least now he has security in a timeframe to work to a plan and rebuild.

This seems to be a realistic scenario. Freo has a number of players nearing the end of their time who have been not quite good enough to go all the way to a flag and also have a few players who don't have much to offer going forward. We need a rebuild and may have to take a step back to go forward at this stage.

I think the coach and the club would be realistic enough to know it will take a minimum of a couple of years to rejuvenate the team and the list to a state of once again being contenders. If that is what has been decided then the coach needs security of tenure to get the players and the game plan involving quite a few new players up and going. Better to stick with an experienced coach with a proven record like Ross than hope to get a rookie coach who may or may not be able to pull that off.

We have a solid core of very good younger players who can form the foundation for a solid team in the near term but need extra talent too. Getting McCarthy and Hooker would be a good start and that is a reasonable bet it seems. Bennell is going to add plenty when he is up and going and there is some chance Mora may be on the way back....fingers crossed. We will need to develop some of the players already on the list to best 22 standard and will need to draft some decent players also - never an exact science. And we might land a player like Hogan if the cards fall right, small chance for sure but we need to give it our best shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back