List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You're welcome to draw that conclusion from the stats.
There's no arguing the past two season's scoreboard and stats wouldn't be complimentary.Include the previous 2 seasons and the picture's quite different.We have come a long way in quite a short time,both up and down.
Even within the bad seasons there's been plenty of positives in terms of the club's improved off field position and the discovery and development of some talented youngsters.
I still have reservations. Particularly to do with sports science and recruiting department performance.Bond's dynasty worries me.But the flip side to that is last season's drafting looks outstanding and our persistence and expertise appears to have got Harley up and running long term.
I think our structure and our systems are hugely more professional overall than they have been.
Some of the footy we played with a squad limited by injury and experience,particularly rnds 3-9,suggested we may not be the worst,despite whatever the stats might say.
I was referring to the posters who maintain a relentlessly and irrationally negative outlook about the club and it was a bit satirical I admit.
The 'haters gotta hate brigade';some have been trolls, maybe others are trolling and aren't actually serious,but a lot of the slagging is irrational.
It's the old glass half empty or full and I'm admittedly quite optimistic about a lot of things the club has done and is doing.
For me what's happened thus far in Lyon's tenure the +ves outweigh -ves considerably.
I'll back Lyon and the club to complete a successful rebuild.After that,who knows Harves may return and take us to a threepeat??

So if it's a choice between 'haters gotta hate' or 'hope springs eternal'.. pass the Koolaid.....

You are no doubt referring to me as one of those posters, but the fact of the matter is you have no idea what people truly think. Personally I see absolutely no point coming on here and posting a hagiography of the coach when his bad is so manifestly interspersed with his good. I've acknowledged both sides of him in this very thread but you obviously think anyone that criticises any aspect of him is 'irrational and relentlessly negative'. Just because you see the world in black and white, stop assuming anyone that posts a bit of grey is all black.
Anyway, this post you just made is a good one, I agree with much of it. Cheers.

You are no doubt referring to me as one of those posters,
I can absolutely and honestly say you did not enter my mind.
I'm agnostic so won't be doing the hagiography thing.
but you obviously think anyone that criticises any aspect of him is 'irrational and relentlessly negative'.
No I have never thought anything even remotely resembling that.
It's the extremist fringe flogs that s**t me.
I may well see other than B&W.

You are no doubt referring to me as one of those posters, but the fact of the matter is you have no idea what people truly think. Personally I see absolutely no point coming on here and posting a hagiography of the coach when his bad is so manifestly interspersed with his good. I've acknowledged both sides of him in this very thread but you obviously think anyone that criticises any aspect of him is 'irrational and relentlessly negative'. Just because you see the world in black and white, stop assuming anyone that posts a bit of grey is all black.
Anyway, this post you just made is a good one, I agree with much of it. Cheers.

What is a hagiography ? Haven't heard that one before

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Travel doesn't make you turn over the ball and miss shots from 30m out.

BHill has gone backwards as the season progressed and the same with S.Hill. The latter hasn't improved one bit under Ross because the defensive game plan over the years has destroyed his natural attacking instincts.

Are you really a Freo supporter I haven't read one positive post from you , I smell troll.

BHill has gone backwards as the season progressed and the same with S.Hill. The latter hasn't improved one bit under Ross because the defensive game plan over the years has destroyed his natural attacking instincts.
whoooah there Banker ....thoughts can be like a runaway horse with an uninformed logic. There are several other reasons for both outcomes for the Hill brothers form in the latter part. Take a breath a look across all the contributing factors im sure you will see them. No offence ;)

Stephen Hill played his best footy in 2015 which was under Ross Lyon. He is a quite achiever Stephen so it can be hard to notice I guess. But he has basically improved every year bar the last two. And Lyon has been coaching for longer than 2 years.

He was playing well at the start of the year as well. Possible better then 2015. But then he was injured and seemed to be off for the rest of the year. Will hopefully recover in the off season.

In his early years it was not uncommon to see S Hill run the ball out of half back, be involved in a chain of possession and drill a goal from 55.
When was the last time he even had a shot at goal from outside the 50?
Is that confidence? Instruction? I don't understand why we don't use that weapon.
I think it is instruction. No one shoots on goal from outside 50. It is one of the many things that makes us easy to defend against.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's an interesting question ....well for me at least which current AFL coaches would you prefer over Ross Lyon

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarkson is the best.
Crows coach has done a great job, he plays attacking footy and appears to get the most out of his squad.

Maybe the current Brisbane coach has done a good job. He has improved the game plan and got buy in from the players.

Ross lacks a bit of tactical nous, I think we need to find an assistant coach who can bring that.

Clarkson is the best.
Crows coach has done a great job, he plays attacking footy and appears to get the most out of his squad.

Maybe the current Brisbane coach has done a good job. He has improved the game plan and got buy in from the players.

Ross lacks a bit of tactical nous, I think we need to find an assistant coach who can bring that.

Agree. It's Clarkson then daylight.

Pyke and Longmire are very, very good and would be next, both Bolton and Fagan are doing a great job with shithouse lists. Woosha is very good and certainly doing a better job than Ross currently is. The Scott brothers can definitely coach too. Hardwick is in form but he's had a bit of luck and Carracella is the key from what I've heard.

Ross sits about mid table at the moment for me which is disappointing as he was widely rated as one of, if not the best between 09 and 13. Whether he's out of form, unlucky or not keeping up with changes in the game is what we'll find out in coming seasons.

Agree. It's Clarkson then daylight.

Pyke and Longmire are very, very good and would be next, both Bolton and Fagan are doing a great job with shithouse lists. Woosha is very good and certainly doing a better job than Ross currently is. The Scott brothers can definitely coach too. Hardwick is in form but he's had a bit of luck and Carracella is the key from what I've heard.

Ross sits about mid table at the moment for me which is disappointing as he was widely rated as one of, if not the best between 09 and 13. Whether he's out of form, unlucky or not keeping up with changes in the game is what we'll find out in coming seasons.
Clarko is so far ahead it is mindblowing.

I don't think you can judge coaches under ~5 years simply because you can't really tell how much is them and how much is the list. Just not enough time to fully judge. No way you can put Bolton or Fagan in Ross' league yet (even though they may go past in time). They simply haven't achieved anything yet. People were saying how good Simmo was two years ago and half the state wanted him sacked a few weeks ago.

Pyke is the really hard one to judge. Obviously love watching the crows play but again how much is him and how much is the team? Genuinely don't know.

Horse is ahead. I know he has the luxury of coaching Sydney who are a ripping club (assisted or not) but he would be a massive part of that.

For me, the only two I would be sure about are Clarko and Longmire, the rest I think is arguable and several I wouldn't touch with a 40 foot pole.

Clarko is so far ahead it is mindblowing.

I don't think you can judge coaches under ~5 years simply because you can't really tell how much is them and how much is the list. Just not enough time to fully judge. No way you can put Bolton or Fagan in Ross' league yet (even though they may go past in time). They simply haven't achieved anything yet. People were saying how good Simmo was two years ago and half the state wanted him sacked a few weeks ago.

Pyke is the really hard one to judge. Obviously love watching the crows play but again how much is him and how much is the team? Genuinely don't know.

Horse is ahead. I know he has the luxury of coaching Sydney who are a ripping club (assisted or not) but he would be a massive part of that.

For me, the only two I would be sure about are Clarko and Longmire, the rest I think is arguable and several I wouldn't touch with a 40 foot pole.
I rated pyke , how many coach in the league debut two B international. He could just select safer Adelaide version of sheriden, suban.

I rated pyke , how many coach in the league debut two B international. He could just select safer Adelaide version of sheriden, suban.
Thats Adelaide's recruiting staff convincing both to go back to footy. Greenwood wasa very talented u16 footballer and Keath was a prelisted Gold Coast player as one of the best u18s. Its not as if they had no idea about football. Keath was top 20 draft talent before Gold Coast grabbed him.

Greenwood's draft status is harder to predict but he has strong ties to footy with a grandfather a triple premiership player. Any coach would have played these two had they been on their list.

I think you have to give credit to their recruiters for that one.
The Recruiters only recruit but is up to the coach to play them .
Eg Clarkson could just roll with rebuild tune and playing Guston and Sicily as forward instead of defender without testing some of their late pick kids.

Ross is absolutely nailed it in Rd 3 and dropped players like he never in his career,but then he go back to safe mode after a few win .

Last edited:
The Recruiters only recruit but is up to the coach to play them .
Eg Clarkson could just roll with rebuild tune and playing Guston and Sicily as forward instead of defender without testing some of their late pick kids.

Ross is absolutely nailed it in Rd 3 and dropped players like he never in his career,but then he go back to safe mode after a few win .
So who are these category B rookies that Ross has failed to play?

Anybody can see that Greenwood and Keath have talent. Not sure Pyke should get kudos for playing talented players.

So who are these category B rookies that Ross has failed to play?

Anybody can see that Greenwood and Keath have talent. Not sure Pyke should get kudos for playing talented players.
If you don't have Cat B then why not Cat A ? I won't said anybody can see greenwood and keath have talent when 17 club pass the chance to draft them .

I can't said the next coach who replace Ross could do better or worse than Harvey until you replace that coach .

Last edited:
Back