List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I give credit to Ross for establishing a culture of accountability, obviously respected by players (both in & out of club) and accepting the challenge of a rebuild.

The forward structure and the lack of observable inventiveness remains my primary and ongoing frustration.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I give credit to Ross for establishing a culture of accountability, obviously respected by players (both in & out of club) and accepting the challenge of a rebuild.

The forward structure and the lack of observable inventiveness remains my primary and ongoing frustration.

It's not due to lack of trying. How many key forwards have we attempted to lure west. I have lost count.

It's not due to lack of trying. How many key forwards have we attempted to lure west. I have lost count.

I’m not referring to the trading side of things, I’m talking tactically.

I had thought with the list we’ve been assembling that Ross was actually building to a strategic solution (or hell even a patch).

For example (and yes acknowledging this is off season and I’m being an armchair expert) but the amount of times we team defend but the opposition set up across centre/ high half back like they have Donald R Trump as their backline coach. The player we have back as an outlet might as well be sitting on a pure white stallion wearing a mask (the player not the horse smart arses), the ball is swept back in so easily and skilful teams cut us up and the chances they set up are very good.

In basketball terms (the game I know the most about) – you create space by stretching zones (referring to presses/traps not set half court defences for those taking notes at home), this is determined by having a forward sitting relatively deep – I’d leave a stay at home forward at about the halfway point between centre/centre half forward. You are one down in your team defence but I’m guessing opponents match that up so it is actually creating space.

As you no longer have a player a kick away (Lone Ranger is 2 away), you need to have an outrider on each side who is a kick away and these 2 guys need to be quick …Bennell, Hill x2, Walters, Weller, Tucker. If it is a panicked kick these guys are decent overhead but more importantly if the ball clears them …they are most likely to be a quicker than your typical big and there is going to be space to run into and we’ll have a CHF target who can lead or double back on goal.

If a Barrass or Lever type outmarks the outrider ….so be it, as it stands now at least someone will be on the mark, the amount of kicks down the line that just were taken and straight back in to me seemed to be a symptom of forward structure being sacrificed for team defence.

We all see it differently, McCarthy is mobile and if we can’t get a genuine big, any broken play I’d leave him as the stay at home forward half big and use the numerous quick agile players we have to always have the release players. Neale, Fyfe, Darcy …they can all play the team defence which is in our DNA but if we do get Wilson ….it is a perfect opportunity for him to use his run and carry and to do this (i) we need some space and 18 man defences with 14 forwards only encourages panicked kicks and no carry (ii) if he can carry 15m and kick 55m – I think Bennell, Hill etc in the open space will be extremely hard to counter (so hard that if oppositions pull back players to stand behind them to guard space ...you have space to hit up lead and restructure from the Half Forward line).

Too Long - Summary recruit Heppell and everything else will fall into place

I had thought with the list we’ve been assembling that Ross was actually building to a strategic solution (or hell even a patch).

For example (and yes acknowledging this is off season and I’m being an armchair expert) but the amount of times we team defend but the opposition set up across centre/ high half back like they have Donald R Trump as their backline coach. The player we have back as an outlet might as well be sitting on a pure white stallion wearing a mask (the player not the horse smart arses), the ball is swept back in so easily and skilful teams cut us up and the chances they set up are very good.

In basketball terms (the game I know the most about) – you create space by stretching zones (referring to presses/traps not set half court defences for those taking notes at home), this is determined by having a forward sitting relatively deep – I’d leave a stay at home forward at about the halfway point between centre/centre half forward. You are one down in your team defence but I’m guessing opponents match that up so it is actually creating space.

As you no longer have a player a kick away (Lone Ranger is 2 away), you need to have an outrider on each side who is a kick away and these 2 guys need to be quick …Bennell, Hill x2, Walters, Weller, Tucker. If it is a panicked kick these guys are decent overhead but more importantly if the ball clears them …they are most likely to be a quicker than your typical big and there is going to be space to run into and we’ll have a CHF target who can lead or double back on goal.

If a Barrass or Lever type outmarks the outrider ….so be it, as it stands now at least someone will be on the mark, the amount of kicks down the line that just were taken and straight back in to me seemed to be a symptom of forward structure being sacrificed for team defence.

We all see it differently, McCarthy is mobile and if we can’t get a genuine big, any broken play I’d leave him as the stay at home forward half big and use the numerous quick agile players we have to always have the release players. Neale, Fyfe, Darcy …they can all play the team defence which is in our DNA but if we do get Wilson ….it is a perfect opportunity for him to use his run and carry and to do this (i) we need some space and 18 man defences with 14 forwards only encourages panicked kicks and no carry (ii) if he can carry 15m and kick 55m – I think Bennell, Hill etc in the open space will be extremely hard to counter (so hard that if oppositions pull back players to stand behind them to guard space ...you have space to hit up lead and restructure from the Half Forward line).

To be honest, I tried reading this but failed. Although I do approve of the nice paragraph structuring

I got to the Trump bit and was struggling, the basketball bit attempted to re-capture me but it wasn't enough.

Sorry

To be honest, I tried reading this but failed. Although I do approve of the nice paragraph structuring

I got to the Trump bit and was struggling, the basketball bit attempted to re-capture me but it wasn't enough.

Sorry

Read the last line - sums it up.

I’d leave a stay at home forward at about the halfway point between centre/centre half forward. You are one down in your team defence but I’m guessing opponents match that up so it is actually creating space.

In my head it's the Buddy spot, he's usually there.

Keeping some structure ahead of the ball.

i-couldnt-agree.jpg

Observable inventiveness that's a beauty

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not many teams cop 3 or more 100+ point floggings in a season as Fremantle did this year. We were extremely poor even by the standards of a developing team.

Interestingly in the 2016 season Richmond lost games by 68 (rd 4), 70 (rd 11), 70 (rd 18), 88 (rd 19) and 113 (rd 23). And no that isn't 3 100+ point floggings but it's a fair collection of hidings.

In amongst the shellackings we got this year we put up some competitive performances despite still having structural problems with our forward line. We aren't the first developing team to cop some late season beltings when younger players get fatigued and you're limping towards the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty confident about next year - I was pretty critical throughout the season but for a team that were as inconsistent as us and to still get 8 wins was a fine effort.

We had 3 games against GWS/STK/GEEL that we just fell short.
We screw up selection for Round 1/2 making those games irrelevant
Played 3 more 100 pt loss games where we were clearly checked out on the day

That's 8 results outside of the 8 wins that we can definitely be more in control of and have experience help back the young list up going into next season. I seriously expect us to be playing finals next year.

Do we have any forwards who are good 1v1 ?

McCarthy - Good on the lead, athletic but 1v1 average.
Kersten - Meh
Fyfe - yes, but better as the forward floating across the pack and a better mid.
Walters- Smart, but not a great 1v1. Can use his body well if the ball is kicked to the right spot
Matera - See walters.

I think we need 2 or 3 forwards who are good 1v1 and 1 forward who can take a pack mark. There is no point playing someone deep if they can't take a contested mark 1v1, let alone 2 v 1 which happens most of the time.

Kersten - Meh
Fyfe - yes, but better as the forward floating across the pack and a better mid.
Walters- Smart, but not a great 1v1. Can use his body well if the ball is kicked to the right spot
Matera - See walters.

I think we need 2 or 3 forwards who are good 1v1 and 1 forward who can take a pack mark. There is no point playing someone deep if they can't take a contested mark 1v1, let alone 2 v 1 which happens most of the time.
#cultoftaberner will be getting the bricks ready.

Kersten - Meh
Matera - See walters.

TABS!!!! Most contested marks per game in the AFL last season #justsayin

Doubtless completed a trading coup today and I for one believe it has Lyon's prints all over it.

When Lyon declared recruiting to be the bedrock of success at the end of 2015,that we weren't happy with our offence,we needed more top end talent through the door,that he wasn't blaming our recruiters etc etc ..I remember thinking:
a)The man's clearly not happy with how we've been doing it.
b)It will change.

All pushing in the same direction and Voila!!!!!!!....
I believe in credit where it's due.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/db5549698155f92d81c1c3123840b76d

ROSS Lyon has personally intervened in Lachie Weller’s trade to the Gold Coast, adamant he will stay unless Fremantle receives the Suns’ No.2 overall pick.

Weller has been offered a five-year, $4 million deal to move back to the city in which he spent his formative years despite a year to run on his contract.

But the Herald Sun understands senior coach Lyon’s stance is backed by senior figures at the club given Weller’s immense talent.

Lyon believes the Dockers cannot afford to lose a player he believes is Fremantle’s best ball user and best runner.

It means Gold Coast’s offer, which would have handed the Dockers GWS defender Nathan Wilson, Sun Brandon Matera and a second-round pick, will fall on deaf ears.

Ummmm there’s a problem with the thread title. Shouldn’t it be Brad ‘Balls of Steel’ Lloyd the f&&ken Boss? What the f&$k’s a Ross?

Back