List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle_Dockers_Media_Session_EA7a_ZPSyc_Rtl.jpg

Why are we picking on Harvey? Not the greatest coach the game has seen, but it is awhile ago now.
Reynolds Number's post read like someone had seriously suggested Harvs would have coached us to the flag. Don't remember reading anything like that myself but wasn't going to trawl through the thread over it.

I liked Harvs at the time, but in retrospect it's a low bar.

Last edited:
You're confusing the role of the senior coach with that of the football manager and the list manager. Sure the senior coach would have an input on exisiting AFL players, but he has nothing to do with drafting and little to do during trade week. The footage of trade week where we secured pick 2 for Weller didn't feature Ross Lyon, it was Chris Bond.

Mark Harvey deserves zero credit for bringing in Hill, Ballantyne, Walters, etc because drafting wasn't his job. What Harvey did do in terms of list management was to bring Mark Johnson over from the Bombers, which was a waste of time, convinced Peter Bell to keep playing while living in Geraldton which was dumb.
do you want crazy vossy near our club?

Reynolds Number's post read like someone had seriously suggested Harvs would have coached us to the flag. Don't remember reading anything like that myself but wasn't going to trawl through the thread over it.

I liked Harvs at the time, but in retrospect it's a low bar.
I have footy convos with plenty outside BigFooty. This place can be comparably sane.

My favourite was encountering a drunk Melbourne supporter nearly wanting a punch up suggesting we should have stuck with Harvey citing the grand final as proof.

Harvey is well ling ago anyway and I personally have no hard feelings on Harvey but his niche is clearly as an assistant and he has long realised it anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we picking on Harvey? Not the greatest coach the game has seen, but it is awhile ago now.

I don't think it is picking on Harvey as much as it is a reminder that finding a good head coach is bloody hard. Lyon has shown he is good enough to get within a bounce of a flag. For all the histrionics around our rebuild and gameplan sometimes it is better the devil you know (Lyon) than the devil you don't (a potential Scott Watters / Alan Richardson / Guy McKenna).

You mean Bond spent the time fixing the mess left by Schwab. Schwab was a good off field administrator who did an excellent job with the finances making us financially secure. But he should never have had any input on the playing side. Draft deals and trading like it was supercoach.

Unlike Rosich who stays well away - lest i say allowing the cobblers to do the cobbling!

Harvey and Connelly were adequate coaches at best. Harvey was at times bazaar and did some "interesting" media appearances that marked him down.

Spot on observations about the reality of how things happened but I am not sure that level of reality is how to Big Footy.

In Pavlich's book. We wanted to replace Mark Harvey with Chris Scott when Harvey's contract was up (2010) but we overachieved by playing finals that year and had to give Harvey an extension (2 years). He of course was sacked with a year to go on his contract the following year.

I don't think it is picking on Harvey as much as it is a reminder that finding a good head coach is bloody hard. Lyon has shown he is good enough to get within a bounce of a flag. For all the histrionics around our rebuild and gameplan sometimes it is better the devil you know (Lyon) than the devil you don't (a potential Scott Watters / Alan Richardson / Guy McKenna).
Despite his past a an eagles player, I didn't think Guy McKenna was a bad coach at the suns. Yeah the suns won 3 games each in 2011 and 2012. They improved a fair bit winning 8 games. They got 10 wins in 2014. They lost like 5 of their last 6 games that season, they won 7 of their 1st 9 games that year too.

Despite his past a an eagles player, I didn't think Guy McKenna was a bad coach at the suns. Yeah the suns won 3 games each in 2011 and 2012. They improved a fair bit winning 8 games. They got 10 wins in 2014. They lost like 5 of their last 6 games that season, they won 7 of their 1st 9 games that year too.
Yeah agreed, Suns made a huge blue there! ;)

In all seriousness though, that decision alone set them back years and cost them their first proper run at it, had to start from absolute scratch again.

...but he's a vile unashamed Freo hater so f#%k him! :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

Yes, although you would hope a head coach at a new team would be able to control the culture to an extent that you don't have half the player group out on the pingers every weekend, and the other half god-bothering to the exclusion of others. So i'm less inclined to give him a pass even though he may actually be able to coach (you'd assume that failing would be covered here).

Really the only people i'd sack Ross for and not be going gray with worry would be maybe Ratten or Caracella. Although what the * do I know.

Back