List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what game it was, But I do Recall Zac Clarke was put on a wing. Yes fro were crippled with injuries in our last 6 games of the season but that was ridiculous
So, putting this all together, the bosses brought in crazy Harvey to tank, but then somehow a ragtag crew led by Mundy and Sandy undid the whole plan by overcoming the odds and getting us into the finals in 2010.

Harvey put some players in terrible positions on the ground, however, let's not pretend that Ross putting Sheridan the Sutcliffe in defence is a masterclass :D

Sutcliffe was great in defence in 2013/14/15 . A lot of players lose form and Sutty unfortunately is one of those. Sherro battles anywhere, hardly the coaches fault if he is just not up to it.

Sutcliffe was great in defence in 2013/14/15 . A lot of players lose form and Sutty unfortunately is one of those. Sherro battles anywhere, hardly the coaches fault if he is just not up to it.

So why play him in a crucial position where outside players just don't excel? Why is Sheridan still playing if he's not up to it as you say?

So why play him in a crucial position where outside players just don't excel? Why is Sheridan still playing if he's not up to it as you say?

Because you can turn over 25ish players in a 2 year period but you can't just throw the youngsters to the wolves. They need mature bodies around them with a but of experience.

Sheridan is there fir depth and protection.

You never go full Melbourne.

Duffield was as outside as they come and excelled in defense.

Fair point. Though, it was back in the day when we always had a spare man and defense and were actually good. Having a champ like McPharlin around also helped. The point remains, however, that Sheridan is just not a defender and playing him there is silly; which, I know you agree with because everyone on here hates him.

Yeah who knows but he was actually pretty good in 2015. That elimination final crushed him. He has the turning circle of an 18-wheeler..

I spent 5 hours with Paul Green today, the head coach of the North Queensland Cowboys (rugby league) in the NRL.

He is an avid fan of the AFL and Ross Lyon based on his coaching methodologies and generally being a leader of men.

It was interesting to note that Paul’s key observation regarding the downside of the dockers performance in recent history is the complexity of game plan. He stated you just need to keep the game simple and embrace the strengths of your players while ensuring a disciplined culture of high performance values.

It made sense to me!

I spent 5 hours with Paul Green today, the head coach of the North Queensland Cowboys (rugby league) in the NRL.

He is an avid fan of the AFL and Ross Lyon based on his coaching methodologies and generally being a leader of men.

It was interesting to note that Paul’s key observation regarding the downside of the dockers performance in recent history is the complexity of game plan. He stated you just need to keep the game simple and embrace the strengths of your players while ensuring a disciplined culture of high performance values.

It made sense to me!
Even Blind Freddy can see it. But. But Ross is working on it still. Driving his players into the dirt with his demanding style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because you can turn over 25ish players in a 2 year period but you can't just throw the youngsters to the wolves. They need mature bodies around them with a but of experience.

Sheridan is there fir depth and protection.

You never go full Melbourne.

Don't really get this rhetoric. Despite being deep into a rebuild we're pretty middle of the range for age. We've got a few real 'kids' (but so does over half the competition) but they're backed up by a very solid basis of experienced guys (in that 24-28 range) not to mention the four 30+ guys.

Sheridan/Sutcliffe should never see the team over a youngster if Fyfe, Walters, Neale etc are still playing.

Don't really get this rhetoric. Despite being deep into a rebuild we're pretty middle of the range for age. We've got a few real 'kids' (but so does over half the competition) but they're backed up by a very solid basis of experienced guys (in that 24-28 range) not to mention the four 30+ guys.

Sheridan/Sutcliffe should never see the team over a youngster if Fyfe, Walters, Neale etc are still playing.
It makes sense any time you have a couple of injuries.

We have 14 guys between 24 and 30 on the list. This includes Sherro, Sutty, Bennell and Kersten. So 10 of the Best 22.

You can make a good case that Blakely, AP, Langdon and Ryan are as good as the bottom end of those 10. So that is 14 players out of the 22 that are "good" players or better. This also means you are carrying 8 developing players (the 4 above are certainly developing as well). I think about 8 is what you want otherwise the load is too much on the 24-30 guys. It makes sense to use Sherro, Sutty or Kersten to keep the balance of the younger players at a reasonable level. I would expect youngster to replace another youngster (say Duman for Andy this week) but I am happy if some of those depth guys come in to cover an experienced player.

If you need a reference point for what happens when the balance is not there, consult our end to last season, Brisbane this year and Carlton in the 2nd half of the last two seasons (they are just **** this year). The kids fall to pieces when there are not sufficient older players to carry the burden.

It makes sense any time you have a couple of injuries.

We have 14 guys between 24 and 30 on the list. This includes Sherro, Sutty, Bennell and Kersten. So 10 of the Best 22.

You can make a good case that Blakely, AP, Langdon and Ryan are as good as the bottom end of those 10. So that is 14 players out of the 22 that are "good" players or better. This also means you are carrying 8 developing players (the 4 above are certainly developing as well). I think about 8 is what you want otherwise the load is too much on the 24-30 guys. It makes sense to use Sherro, Sutty or Kersten to keep the balance of the younger players at a reasonable level. I would expect youngster to replace another youngster (say Duman for Andy this week) but I am happy if some of those depth guys come in to cover an experienced player.

If you need a reference point for what happens when the balance is not there, consult our end to last season, Brisbane this year and Carlton in the 2nd half of the last two seasons (they are just **** this year). The kids fall to pieces when there are not sufficient older players to carry the burden.

Yea I do agree that like for like (experienced guy for experienced guy) works when we reach that tipping point but I'm not sure we are there yet. If the magic number is around 8 (which I think is a sound number) on the weekend I only count 5 'youngsters' with Tucker and Banfield on the cusp of not being included in that group. I think there is still room in the team for a few more young guys without unbalancing it. As is I'm coming around to the idea that excusing poor results because we are in a 'rebuild' doesn't really stack up if our team isn't actually that young.

I don't think Carlton/Brisbane are crap because they are too young. It's because the experienced players they do have aren't any good (with a few exceptions of course). Our core of Sandi/Mundy/Fyfe/Neale/Walters/AP/Hamling/Wilson/Hill x 2 etc is very, very good imo and can afford to carry 2-3 more youngsters.

Yea I do agree that like for like (experienced guy for experienced guy) works when we reach that tipping point but I'm not sure we are there yet. If the magic number is around 8 (which I think is a sound number) on the weekend I only count 5 'youngsters' with Tucker and Banfield on the cusp of not being included in that group. I think there is still room in the team for a few more young guys without unbalancing it. As is I'm coming around to the idea that excusing poor results because we are in a 'rebuild' doesn't really stack up if our team isn't actually that young.

I don't think Carlton/Brisbane are crap because they are too young. It's because the experienced players they do have aren't any good (with a few exceptions of course). Our core of Sandi/Mundy/Fyfe/Neale/Walters/AP/Hamling/Wilson/Hill x 2 etc is very, very good imo and can afford to carry 2-3 more youngsters.
I think the carry limit would be higher if the 4 newbies weren't sub 5 gamers. Obviously Banfield doesn't play like it but that aside from the lower contributions of the other 3, you have to worry about rotations.

Should be fine for Duman who has had a couple of preseasons but even then, I am not sure what TOG he could play. I suspect this is a lot of the driver for not going overboard with the rookies.

Carlton are terrible this year I agree (they only have Cripps, Simpson, Murphy and Kruezer), but in the first half of the last two years (the ones I referred to) they had most of their senior core playing. They won a few games and then some of them got injured and they got smashed for the rest of the year. Probably fair on Brisbane since their good players aren't actually playing good.

If your experienced fringe players are of the calibre of Matt deBoer, Clancee Pearce, etc, role players who won't dominate but you can be confident that they'll fill a role then it makes sense to pick them. But when they're battlers with a very limited shelf life like Sheridan, Sutcliffe and D Pearce I can't see any reason to pick them in the 22. Players like Nyhuis with very little AFL experience but a couple of pre-seasons under his belt should be preferred.

If your experienced fringe players are of the calibre of Matt deBoer, Clancee Pearce, etc, role players who won't dominate but you can be confident that they'll fill a role then it makes sense to pick them. But when they're battlers with a very limited shelf life like Sheridan, Sutcliffe and D Pearce I can't see any reason to pick them in the 22. Players like Nyhuis with very little AFL experience but a couple of pre-seasons under his belt should be preferred.
DPearce I agree with since he clearly isn't hanging around after this year. Sherro and Sutty and still young enough to improve. I really don't think it is unreasonable to give these guys a run in rebuilding years.

I also think in general, we overrate the potential performance of rookies. For all their limitations (the whipping boys) are somewhat competant at some parts of the game. Sub 20 gamers are quite often ordinary at all of it - which is fair enough but if you are trying to stay competitive is not ideal.

Nyhuis looks on the fast track to delisting to me. Definitely doesn't seem to have favour for whatever reason. Hughes is the one I think that should definitely get a look before Sherro or Sutty. Duman seems close to his as well.

DPearce I agree with since he clearly isn't hanging around after this year. Sherro and Sutty and still young enough to improve. I really don't think it is unreasonable to give these guys a run in rebuilding years.

I also think in general, we overrate the potential performance of rookies. For all their limitations (the whipping boys) are somewhat competant at some parts of the game. Sub 20 gamers are quite often ordinary at all of it - which is fair enough but if you are trying to stay competitive is not ideal.

Nyhuis looks on the fast track to delisting to me. Definitely doesn't seem to have favour for whatever reason. Hughes is the one I think that should definitely get a look before Sherro or Sutty. Duman seems close to his as well.

Sheridan and Sutcliffe are terrible IMO, especially Sutcliffe.

Agree with you on Nyhuis, doesn't seem to be in the picture. That said he chases, tackles, pressures. I have much mre faith in him than S & S.

Sheridan and Sutcliffe are terrible IMO, especially Sutcliffe.

Agree with you on Nyhuis, doesn't seem to be in the picture. That said he chases, tackles, pressures. I have much mre faith in him than S & S.
I don't like either of them kicking the ball in the back half. I don't mind Sherro up the ground as a depth player. Sutty has shown he can play so maybe one day he will remember.

I think the carry limit would be higher if the 4 newbies weren't sub 5 gamers. Obviously Banfield doesn't play like it but that aside from the lower contributions of the other 3, you have to worry about rotations.

Should be fine for Duman who has had a couple of preseasons but even then, I am not sure what TOG he could play. I suspect this is a lot of the driver for not going overboard with the rookies.

Carlton are terrible this year I agree (they only have Cripps, Simpson, Murphy and Kruezer), but in the first half of the last two years (the ones I referred to) they had most of their senior core playing. They won a few games and then some of them got injured and they got smashed for the rest of the year. Probably fair on Brisbane since their good players aren't actually playing good.

I agree we shouldn’t be getting anymore 18 yr olds in. I’m more upset that the Hughes, Cox, Duman, Nyhuis, (Darcy/Logue as well before they got injured) age group aren’t playing over Johnson, Ballas and Sheridan.

Obviously injuries play a part but from the rookie class of last year we’ve only got Ryan playing (and he was a mature age guy).

I agree we shouldn’t be getting anymore 18 yr olds in. I’m more upset that the Hughes, Cox, Duman, Nyhuis, (Darcy/Logue as well before they got injured) age group aren’t playing over Johnson, Ballas and Sheridan.

Obviously injuries play a part but from the rookie class of last year we’ve only got Ryan playing (and he was a mature age guy).
Hughes, Logue and Darcy all had injury interrupted preseasons. Duman I am guessing is still pretty raw and looks to be getting a gig this week anyway.

I am happy they are making Cox earn it after shirking contests in preseason games. I'd be mentally preparing for the Huis to not be on the list next year. Never seems near selection anymore.

Hughes I think will play and stay in once a spot opens up and I suspect Griff will get plenty of games (assuming the foot will take it). Darcy would be playing this week if not injured and will get opportunities in the back end as Sandi ain't playing 22.

Also think there is validity in picking which games you debut guys in. I don't think road trips to Adelaide or Sydney/Canberra are the best place to roll new guys out.

TLDR - injuries or being soft is what is keeping most (bar Nyhuis) out. Don't think there is an issue here at all. In fact, I am happy with the way we seem to be handling the young guys this year so far.

Back