List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cue Hackdorn "Fyfe is a challenging player: Ross" headline
Seems like key forwards copped most of the "challenging" reputation. I liked how Hardwick nominated Riewoldt for pushing him, and Clarkson said he puts the most pressure on team leader Roughead, while Fagan admitted having to put Robinson on a leash.
Actually, there's a good chance Lyon is harder on Fyfe than anyone cos he knows he can handle it.

Finally the "Ross lyon and his inability to play youth" thread has been closed on the main board.

One parting shot from an Eagle mod, "he didn't two years ago" yet in 2016 we had Taberner, Langdon and Weller in the side by round 2.

Then we added Crozier, Tucker and Grey by round 5. Blakely round 6 and then more as the season progressed.

What a s#$t post to end the thread on.

Finally the "Ross lyon and his inability to play youth" thread has been closed on the main board.

One parting shot from an Eagle mod, "he didn't two years ago" yet in 2016 we had Taberner, Langdon and Weller in the side by round 2.

Then we added Crozier, Tucker and Grey by round 5. Blakely round 6 and then more as the season progressed.

They refer to the years in which Lyon was coaching a team playing finals, not the recent few where he is coaching a team in a full rebuild

Seems like key forwards copped most of the "challenging" reputation. I liked how Hardwick nominated Riewoldt for pushing him, and Clarkson said he puts the most pressure on team leader Roughead, while Fagan admitted having to put Robinson on a leash.
Actually, there's a good chance Lyon is harder on Fyfe than anyone cos he knows he can handle it.
I seem to recall something similar between Lyon and Pav early on. Might have been in Pav's book?

I seem to recall something similar between Lyon and Pav early on. Might have been in Pav's book?
IMO the book undersells the level of tension between the two early on. I recall early in 2012, i’m pretty sure it was against the Hawks in Tassie and we got thrashed, there was a very obvious public disagreement between the two over the phone (Pav on the bench, Rosco in the box) at one point. Anyone else remember that?
Of course he was a full convert by the end the season and remains so today.

IMO the book undersells the level of tension between the two early on. I recall early in 2012, i’m pretty sure it was against the Hawks in Tassie and we got thrashed, there was a very obvious public disagreement between the two over the phone (Pav on the bench, Rosco in the box) at one point. Anyone else remember that?
Of course he was a full convert by the end the season and remains so today.
Yeah I remember them on a 'live' cross on AFL 360* during the 2015 finals campaign, pissed themselves laughing at Ross being a goose, lots of love between those two.

*Whateley literally left the building for this and they wheeled in Kingy just for the cross. :$

Same with Fyfey, Lyon was like a proud father at the Brownlow with him.

His man management skills are without question.

Last edited:
I remember pav telling a story about how he got sprayed by ross in his 1st season here on the gold coast at halftime. They werent playing well and because of the humid nature of QLD pav had a quick shower and changed his jumper.

When ross adressed the group he went absolutely off at Pav when he saw his captain with such a clean jumper. Without realising Pav had actually changed it.

I remember pav telling a story about how he got sprayed by ross in his 1st season here on the gold coast at halftime. They werent playing well and because of the humid nature of QLD pav had a quick shower and changed his jumper.

When ross adressed the group he went absolutely off at Pav when he saw his captain with such a clean jumper. Without realising Pav had actually changed it.
Yes!! That's the story I heard! :thumbsu:

Was that at his book launch or something? I couldn't put my finger on it yesterday.

Last edited:
The bottom line for me is that his players love him. He cut Tendai and the guy's back as a coach. I have no doubt that Ross gives full and frank feedback when it's required, but his willingness to support guys like Sonny and Harley tell you that he genuinely cares about his players.

Blokes like Pav, Goddard and Reiwoldt speak highly of him. His tributes to Del Santo, Reiwoldt, and the departing Gu, the Pig, Micky B and Fish Pub leave no doubt about how he feels about "his boys".

Maybe Ross is sometimes a bit to loyal to his proven soldiers, but if that's his failing well it's probably not the worst character flaw to have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They refer to the years in which Lyon was coaching a team playing finals, not the recent few where he is coaching a team in a full rebuild

Final post said "2 years ago"

It's just feeding the trolls
I was proud of my contributions to that thread. I proved that Ross Lyon did play youf.

The bottom line for me is that his players love him. He cut Tendai and the guy's back as a coach. I have no doubt that Ross gives full and frank feedback when it's required, but his willingness to support guys like Sonny and Harley tell you that he genuinely cares about his players.

Blokes like Pav, Goddard and Reiwoldt speak highly of him. His tributes to Del Santo, Reiwoldt, and the departing Gu, the Pig, Micky B and Fish Pub leave no doubt about how he feels about "his boys".

Maybe Ross is sometimes a bit to loyal to his proven soldiers, but if that's his failing well it's probably not the worst character flaw to have.
I believe we could be better as a club, this is not a dig at Ross, but the club itself. If you need proof just look at other
clubs assistants.
Pies have added Sanderson and Longmuir, will be interesting to see if they can save Buckley, but they already looked to
have improved.
Seems something had changed at Freo with the talk on Hird, unfortunately all the noise has gone silent.

Pretty hard to convince blokes to move to WA....

Similar to players I would have thought. If you are a good assistant you probably have 10 offers in Melbourne on similar money.
There's only so many AFL opportunities for coaches. They take what they can get.

I believe we could be better as a club, this is not a dig at Ross, but the club itself. If you need proof just look at other
clubs assistants.
Pies have added Sanderson and Longmuir, will be interesting to see if they can save Buckley, but they already looked to
have improved.
Seems something had changed at Freo with the talk on Hird, unfortunately all the noise has gone silent.
Are you saying that you think the improvement at Collingwood is more impressive than our improvement?

See you guys in here in a months time.

;)

Wow look at that.

3-1 (Should of been 4-0 if we didn't play a trash ground in trash conditions)
Scoring at 90 points average (103 if you remove the GWS game)
5 kids blooded in 5 games
We actually do have a good, attacking game-plan that we're watching slowly come into fruition
We're not actually relying on players like Johnson, Neale, S.Hill and Hamling anymore
Taberner is actually damn good
Ross does play and develop youth

I wonder how the guys living in 2015 who kicked up a storm after the Port game are feeling now.

:rolleyes:

I actually have us going 1-3 in the next month in some good, close contests. 2-2 if we're courageous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying that you think the improvement at Collingwood is more impressive than our improvement?
Not at all just that two heads are better than one. It is a trend with clubs to have a former coach in the box and even Ross
has acknowledged this, didn't discount the Hird thinking.
I have no doubt the Boss can take us to another finals series, or perhaps pinch a cup with some luck, I'd rather we don't
just leave it up to chance.

Wow look at that.

3-1 (Should of been 4-0 if we didn't play a trash ground in trash conditions)
Scoring at 90 points average (103 if you remove the GWS game)
5 kids blooded in 5 games
We actually do have a good, attacking game-plan that we're watching slowly come into fruition
We're not actually relying on players like Johnson, Neale, S.Hill and Hamling anymore
Taberner is actually damn good
Ross does play and develop youth

I wonder how the guys living in 2015 who kicked up a storm after the Port game are feeling now.

:rolleyes:

I actually have us going 1-3 in the next month in some good, close contests. 2-2 if we're courageous. But doesn't matter, watch the 15ers come back and start another storm blindly disregarding the above in the next month.

Agree - crickets here just now, but just wait until we lose to a couple more genuine contenders. They’ll be back with negative garbage under their wafer thin supporters’ facades.

I'd rather we don't
just leave it up to chance.
Is there something we should do that comes with a guarantee??

Lyon seemed to outline his yoof selection criteria in the presser.He says development coaches come to him and say 'play him,play him,play him!
Lyon says 'Give us a body of work!'
They've got to demand it and Lyon seems to be saying they need to have 3-??? decent/dominant games in the twos.
When the player shows the body of work they get a start.
Yoof doesn't come into it.
As he says birth certs, draft pick etc are truly irrelevant.
I think he runs a performance based gig and the favourites accusation which has been so boringly popular on this board is way off the mark.
His game is to select a team which wins games and develops players.
He said with the 'body of work' the player comes in and everyone can be confident.
I give you Taylin Duman as the most recent successful example of that development model.

Back